Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Catt Wrote:I just heard a rumor that Mike was going to switch to Tn2 next fall. Eek

That's approximately 1: 435 scale.......That's huge, ------compared to 1:700. :o Icon_twisted 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Does anybody make trains that run in 1:700?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Nope Ships, and some associated aircraft ( for the carrier decks ).
You're looking at standard gauge rails that are about 5/64" apart----- and for 1/700 n2 ? the track gauge would be approximately 0.030" ! Eek Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Go ahead, just try to decal those boxcars ! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357

DD-770 in 1/700 scale --- the photo is very close to the actual size of the model. ( She's 376' - 6" long )

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Good looking ship! I knew there were boat models in that scale but I hadn't heard of anything train related.
Mike

When at a hobby shop on vacation they had a pack of WS tree armatures on the clearance table for $5. There are three sizes at 3,4 and 5 inch which means the largest is barely a mature tree in N scale at appox. 65 feet (the forest canopy in these parts is around 85 foot I believe) but all trees in a forest aren't mature so I figured if I mix em' in with the others they will be O.K. All of these trees regardless of size have the same branch structure and even if you bend the branches in different directions pretty much if you plant several of these together your forest will start to look like it was cloned ! Eek When you remove the dorky base you lose about a half inch but the foilage gets the height back. Because the tree is a fakey, shiny brown color the first thing I did was spray it flat black after I had shaped it. Then I dry burshed it with some gray and blended it with some chalks (darker gray and reddish brown).

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

I did the foilage the same way as I do on natural twig armatures and after trimming some fuzz off I planted it on the layout. It makes for a decent looking tree but because of the extra steps of painting and drybrushing I can do several twig armatures in the time it takes to do one of these. However the extra thick trunk is nice and is long as you mix them to avoid the cloned look I think they are worth the trouble.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:... I think they are worth the trouble.

Yes sir, by the look of the way they turn out I'd say they sure are! Good buy, nice work! Thumbsup
Ralph
Tyson Rayles Wrote:When you remove the dorky base you lose about a half inch but the foliage gets the height back. Because the tree is a fakey, shiny brown color the first thing I did was spray it flat black after I had shaped it. Then I dry brushed it with some gray and blended it with some chalks (darker gray and reddish brown).

I have only two of those trees on the new modules, and they are "somewhat hidden" Wink
You did an excellent job on that trunk, with the paint and chalks Thumbsup , and yes, they're great trees.....when mixed in with others, I still prefer starting with "tree-like twigs". Your last picture shows how, with a little extra time and effort, it's not that difficult to model some reasonable looking trees from such an unreasonable beginning. Once again, you've nudged the bar up just a bit, but you've also shown that the higher level of quality is attainable. Thumbsup Thumbsup
I do enjoy being "challenged". Big Grin
Because I use thin shell scenery, I try to keep, and "hide" the bases. The weight of the tree, and the fact that the modules get transported, makes the stability the bases provide, a necessity.
Thanks guys! Pete I agree that the twigs are prefable because they look more natural and are a heck of a lot quicker. What got me started on this was I was out of twigs and the weather was miserable outside ! Icon_lol Since then the weather has gotten better and I have aquired more twigs! Goldth As far as the base goes it does have grain/root detail and if one was to fill in the seam were it joins the trunk it would look pretty decent I would think.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:What got me started on this was I was out of twigs and the weather was miserable outside ! Icon_lol

Big Grin Big Grin Don't you just hate when that happens ?
The "other", is when great looking "twigs" are in a lot, on a very busy road, and the closest parking is about a mile in either direction !!
I try to keep a supply of twigs on hand.....

"The "other", is when great looking "twigs" are in a lot, on a very busy road, and the closest parking is about a mile in either direction !!"

You have been here Pete, you know how rural this area is, parking is not a problem which is just one more reason I'm glad I left the ghetto (my term for any city where the number of people exceeds the number of trees within the city limits) behind all those years ago! Icon_lol
Mike

Sumpter250 Wrote:
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Nope Ships, and some associated aircraft ( for the carrier decks ).
You're looking at standard gauge rails that are about 5/64" apart----- and for 1/700 n2 ? the track gauge would be approximately 0.030" ! Eek Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Go ahead, just try to decal those boxcars ! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357

]

Would you need to? Can anybody see the decals from a normal viewing distance? :?
"Would you need to? Can anybody see the decals from a normal viewing distance?"

Good point ! Icon_lol
Mike

MountainMan Wrote:Would you need to? Can anybody see the decals from a normal viewing distance? :?

Icon_twisted Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_twisted

well,...........................
maybe not "anybody", but there are those who delight in finding "those little flaws"... Icon_twisted Big Grin 357.....and while I might not make an issue of them, I am still quite aware that they are there. Wink
And let's not forget those pesky close-up photos either I guess. Eek
Mike