Nantahala Midland V 3.0
By small I was refering to the amount of layout space more so than the scale TJ but I do understand that some people just don't understand or fully appreciate the greatness and vast superiority of N scale ! Nope
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
teejay Wrote:I have good eyesight but find that even HO details are hard to work on after an hour or two .Terry

I know that feeling !
It comes on somewhere in the middle of working the fifth eye splice, in fine sewing thread, for the running rigging of a ship / boat model, or building the second scale shackle! Eek 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Tyson Rayles Wrote:...I do understand that some people just don't understand or fully appreciate the greatness and vast superiority of N scale ! ...

The biggest advantage beside the extra space of N scale is the forgiveness of sparse details but still have at least a decent layout. O scale is the utterly opposite. You need to add lots of very small details to prevent an overall impression of a toy. Said that you missed that advantage of N scale complete .... with all your details usual found on very good O scale layouts only Thumbsup 357
Reinhard
...and yet , having said that Reinhard , Mike has done a fine job with his details IMO ...looks like HO from that angle .

For me , I admire the workmanship and skill involved ....the scale is only a "comfort zone " for my situation .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Reinhard thanks for noticing that. When I saw the Reid brothers layout in MR I was hooked on N scale. They proved that you can model and operate in that scale. Of course since then others have come along and reinforced the idea. But what you say is true, you don't have to fiddle with all the detail work you do in the larger scales but because the mind doesn't expect to see much detail in N scale when you include some it seems like a lot. Terry thanks for the nice comments.
Mike

Now for the other end of that road. My pulpwood yard is modeled after the real one we had back in the 80's here in Bryson City. It was strickly a small time affair and shipped 2-4 loads a week normally. It consisted of a gravel field surrounded by scrub thickets, weeds and some trees. There was a small shack with no heat and no plumbing (no outhouse either) and a carpet warehouse type (long pole for going down the center of the rolls of carpet instead of the two flat prongs) forklift. That was it. The curved track at the bottom of the pic is the pulpwood track and this is where I'm at:

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Wow, that is a simple industry to model! But as with other areas on your layout, even simple is executed with great care and attention to details. Smile
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
Thanks Marc!
Mike

Very nice job of improving the "clearing" , Mike , but ....just my humble opinion ...maybe it needs something more ? ....couple of abandoned vehicles/machinery .....maybe an old house trailer / hobo camp off to one side .......just wondering what your ideas are ? Goldth

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
TJ I'm not done. I still have to but the shack/office in there and something along the lines of a forklift to load with and some pulpwood trucks and RR flatcars and people and....... ........I'm just getting started. That said this is a bare bones backwoods type of operation so it won't be anything fancy.
Mike

Here is the before and after of the pulpwood office. The before was done about 17 years ago and is falling apart but that is O.K. because it needed some changes. The front window had way too many panes, the roof is supposed to be metal, there was no chimmney on the real office either and it sat on concrete blocks with steps on the front door only. Now that it has been re-worked I need to plant it on the layout.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Nice! The old one looked good too. The concrete blocks really add an element of realism!
Ralph
Thank you Ralph!
Mike

Beautiful little structure...!!! Thumbsup

All it needs now is a home.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks Gus, I hope to have it in it's new home soon!
Mike