Nantahala Midland V 3.0
So there IS a Loch Ness Moonster ....ya heard it here first! Eek

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Loch Ness? I don't know, but looks like some ' loco ' needs a ' Cow Catcher ' :o Confusedhock: 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Well I added a dead tree and some reeds/bushes and we had some rain which greened up the pasture some. The pasture still isn't glued down and I will have to blend the edge of it with the edge of the water when I get that far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
The addon in the pond looks very good. I would suggest to cut back the pasture to have a brown ring of mud around the pond about the size of 1.5 cow length. The hoof of the cows destroy all kind of vegetation while drinking from the pond and a pure mud area is the result.
Reinhard
The dead tree, and the grasses growing in the shallow pond, are almost exactly what one would expect.
The low ground stayed wet, and the tree flourished, until time changed things and the water got deeper. The regular visitation from cows could have had a major part in the change. Most trees need water, but don't survive their roots, and/or their trunks, being constantly wet.
I would think that after time, the mud would exist in "patches" around the pond. There would be places where the cows would choose not to "stand and drink". They might, for example, be uncomfortable with their backs to the rail line,... or any possible direction that predators might approach from. ( Yes, my mind does work that way ) Wink Smile

I remember lots of these small round "ponds" out on the east end of Long Island. They were called "Scuttle Holes", and were merely depressions in the land that were lower than the water table height. They stayed full, year round.
In areas of Hills or mountains, they could simply be low areas that filled with rain run-off, no springs, or streams, connected with them.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Thanks Reinhard, right now I'm trying to figure out how to model N scale cow patties Eek . Pete here we also have "wet" springs that cause these depressions and keep water in them in all but the driest time of year.
Mike

On a side note when I first poured the pond I used gloss medium but it had too many ripples when it dried so I poured a layer of WS's realisitic water over that but it did't hide it all. After I had painted the bottom of the pond I went over it with chalks to blend in the colors. Turns out gloss medium and WS's realwater don't bond to chalk so I was able to pop the "water" right out of the pond without damage to the scenery base! 2285_ I then repoured with the WS's realwater. Another note is that either product and every other product I've ever used to do water "creeps" up the scenery so this time Thumbsup I poured the water and let it cure then added the bushes, dead tree and what have you and have no unsightly "creep" to contend with.
Mike

Looks good ! Thumbsup

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Would you believe that part of my job is to travel around the state and measure the capacity of small ponds like that? In Arizona, every water use requires a permit, no matter how small.

I can't speak for ponds in wetter climates, but here ponds are often dry for part of the year in most years, maybe only a tiny mud pit after a few weeks. The cattle and sheep tear them up pretty bad, and a big rainstorm will often damage the berm impounding the water. I've thought about adding one to my layout, but it may be tricky as space is limited.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Tyson Rayles Wrote:On a side note when I first poured the pond I used gloss medium but it had too many ripples when it dried so I poured a layer of WS's realisitic water over that but it did't hide it all. After I had painted the bottom of the pond I went over it with chalks to blend in the colors. Turns out gloss medium and WS's realwater don't bond to chalk so I was able to pop the "water" right out of the pond without damage to the scenery base! 2285_ I then repoured with the WS's realwater. Another note is that either product and every other product I've ever used to do water "creeps" up the scenery so this time Thumbsup I poured the water and let it cure then added the bushes, dead tree and what have you and have no unsightly "creep" to contend with.

That's a good looking pond, Thumbsup the only thing missing is a few cow patties. 357 I bought a couple of cans of two-part casting cement to use if and when I needed water. Two years later when I needed it, I found that this stuff will harden in the can even when it's sealed. :o The pond was small, so I wound up using some two-part clear epoxy since the nearest LHS is a 15 mile drive from my house and Ace Hardware is just down the street. When it dried, it left some natural ripples, which was good, Smile but like you, I did get some of that creep that I had to deal with afterwards. Sad
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That "Creep", is "surface tension", and is the same thing that causes water to "bead".

I'll ask the *Dumb Question*: Has anyone found a viable surfactant for two part epoxies ?

"Tyson Rayles" wrote:
Pete here we also have "wet" springs that cause these depressions and keep water in them in all but the driest time of year.

There you go ! Us "flatlanders" here in Illinois ( and on Long Island ) don't get a chance to see many of those kinds of things. Wink Smile Big Grin

357 357 learned something today !! 2285_ 2285_
Thanks guys !

"I'll ask the *Dumb Question*: Has anyone found a viable surfactant for two part epoxies ?"

Now I'll ask a dumb question, what is a surfactant?

Nachoman with the rain we get here they just about never get low much less dry up.
Mike

Hi Mike,
A surfactant is a wetting agent.
Charlie
That must be some high powered water that Mike used.Did y'all notice how fast that grass turned green after he poured water in the hole. Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Thanks Charlie! Catt I'm glad you noticed that, most everybody else didn't ! Icon_lol
Mike