Self-motivation photos
Ralph Wrote:I made a possible frame work for one tunnel/underpass out of wood. It was a little challenging because the track is routed through the space at an angle. I'll let it sit for a day or two to see how I like it an then consider what to do next....
[Image: IMG_2725.jpg] Ralph

" I'll let it sit for a day or two to see how I like it an then consider what to do next.... ".......now where have I seen that "technique" before..... The use of "mock-ups", that can be moved / re-positioned, so that they can be viewed, over time, is a great tool. Sometimes what looks fantastic at first, loses that "edge" over time, and the more natural positioning finally comes out after repetitive viewings and movings.
The general shape looks good, but i think it needs "something" at the top of the tunnel opening, even if it is just a "construction date" carved or cast into the facing.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Ralph Wrote:[Image: IMG_2747.jpg]

Actually I was considering some "Low Clearance" signs on the tunnel since it is so low. How might I neatly carve a construction date? That would be a nice detail but I'm afraid I wouldn't do the best job of it.

Ralph
Ralph Wrote:Actually I was considering some "Low Clearance" signs on the tunnel since it is so low. ...
I would assume that information is in the time table for the engineer and the yard master assigning e.g. high cube cars to that route should have the information too. I read that kind of information is available when double stacked trains are routed because there are tunnels that can not handle those cars (there is a youtube video demonstrating what happens when it is not :o ). It might be to late to show the engineer a signal informing him he will crash the top of most of his cars in about 10 seconds...
Reinhard
I'm willing to go with the idea that there is written info in the company literature and forms regarding the low clearances of this tunnel. No high cubes here!
It will clear any covered hopper traveling through this bore to Empire Grain but I wouldn't want to see any crew members on the roof! Eek
Ralph
Ralph Wrote:...I wouldn't want to see any crew members on the roof! Eek ...
How about a tell tale like on this photo http://www.sceneryunlimited.net/images/s...lltale.jpg? I know they have been used in the steam area. Will they fit into your area too?
Reinhard
Now that's a great idea! Thumbsup Thanks for your concern for my crew's safety. Smile
Ralph
I think it a nice improvement, nice job Ralph Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Ralph Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:[Image: IMG_2747.jpg]

Actually I was considering some "Low Clearance" signs on the tunnel since it is so low. How might I neatly carve a construction date? That would be a nice detail but I'm afraid I wouldn't do the best job of it.

Ralph

Ralph, how about going to an engraver for a build date. Even if you use a piece of brass, a locksmith or an engraver should be able to do it for minimal cost.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Never thought of that! Clever idea Mike! Thanks!
Ralph
I'll post this one even though I'm not really satisfied. This is the treatment for the other underpass on the other side of the grain elevator. I used similar techniques. I don't like the tunnel portal and the greenery looks a bit like a terraced garden to me. The structure to the left is unfinished, of course. I'm going to do some more remodeling on this underpass.... Photos of my own work are very helpful for me to evaluate how it turned out.

[Image: IMG_2775.jpg]
Ralph
Lookin' good, Ralph. My progress hasn't been nearly as rapid as yours. my son and his family are coming for Thanksgiving so maybe after they leave...

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
OK, I decided to go with a rounded tunnel entrance. A box of raisins provided a good tunnel lining. I simply glued it inside the squared entrance and then covered it with the cardboard tunnel facing.

[Image: IMG_2777.jpg]

Some paint and chalk weathering, a little more greenery, a couple of yellow and black striped warning signs on either side of the portal, and some road stripes..and I think its pretty much done! The grain elevator structure to the left is still unfinished, but that's another story. Smile

[Image: IMG_2780.jpg]

I have to say, posting my intentions to finish this scene really helped motivate me. Thanks for looking!

Keep us posted after the holiday Tom! Thumbsup
Ralph, that looks great. I'm glad you got it finished, and the rounded tunnel is the answer. It fits well.
Charlie
Ralph the rounded portal is spot on, looks just like what you would expect to see! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Lookin' good Ralph! The only progress I have to report is my granddaughter and I had a great time running trains this afternoon, both indoor and outdoor.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)