A Look At Slate Creek.
Will do Larry. I know how you feel. I've been using reading glasses for the last year because I can't grow my arms any longer. I think a fun HO layout is attainable in a small space, but if you want N, go for it.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Brakie Wrote:...I may find the need to drop N..

2285_ 2285_ 2285_...... Big Grin
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Larry, just look at Carl Arendt's website or the Yahoo Group for small layouts. Many great ideas that could be adapted for your needs.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Here's possible HO plan for Slate Creek Industrial lead and if used will be the home terminal for the Summerset Ry.SSRY is the 8th shortline owned and operated by CDB Industries.

SSRY is 7 miles long and serves 2 industrial leads Slate Creek and 18th St industrial.

Motive power is a SW1500 with a SW7 as a back up unit and is lettered for Huron River..This unit is kept at 18th St Industrial..

SSRY interchanges with NS and handles around 2400/yr.

I can squeeze 7' by using a 6' dresser top* for the "bench work". I will use a simple frame without legs.

[Image: slateCreek8.jpg]

The tan area is a trailer drop lot and the building across the tracks from the drop lot is the SSRY office-a BLMA yard office.

The lead is 27".

*I really didn't want to use the dresser top but,I think if I used a vinyl table cloth under the frame of the layout that should eliminate any scratches.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Hey Brakie, I have 2 more proposals for you.

This one has a 22.42 inch drill track lead:

[Image: 6347969696_db4f739172_b.jpg]

This one has a 28.42 inch drill track lead:

[Image: 6347969696_db4f739172_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

This ISL has a drill track lead of 26.92 inches:

[Image: 6347501653_0650509e88_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,I like the one with the 28.42" lead and the idea of having 4 industry buildings.

I have this idea floating that's been floating around for quite some time and I can't seem to shake it.I keep recalling the 1950 era ISL I had several years ago and the MDC/Roundhouse 0-6-0T I used.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry, you've turned me into a track planning fool. This ISL has a drill lead of 26.92 inches long. Each industry has the capacity for two 50 foot cars or three 40 foot cars.

The best way to add track length to a layout is to curve the track. The overpass is angled over the end of the drill lead so that the end of the track can be hidden in the corner. I have the road from the overpass drop down along the backdrop so that it breaks up the scenery a little. The building to the left of industry A can be a non rail served industry or a part of Industry A.

The best part of using older buildings is that you can go steam era and modern.

I marked industries for C & D, but you don't have to locate them there.

[Image: 6350702428_2482ac7178_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,That design would work as a manufacturer that produces veneer lumber and furniture.

I can go either way since I have cars for both eras and a Bachmann 0-6-0T that needs repairs.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry you can probably find some peel and stick pads to protect your dresser at places like Ace Hardware, Lowe's, ect.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Mike,Thanks..I'll check into it.That dresser is fairly old.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Home Depot, Lowes, etc carry peel and stick rubber "feet" for making non-marring pads. We did oak butcher block counter tops in our kitchen and I used left over material to make cutting boards. I tried the peel and stick feet, but the glue did not hold very well. I then tried to epoxy the feet to the blocks, but that only held a little bit better. I picked up some rubber feet with a hole in the middle designed to be mounted with a recessed wood screw, and those have been very successful in the kitchen. The Home Depots and Lowes stores out here have drawers with specialty hardware located in the hardware section, and I found those screw mounted feet either in one of the drawers or in the same section with the stick on feet.
Russ,Thanks for the suggestion..

I'm going to Mansfield this week and I'll stop at Lowes or Home Depot.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Some interesting small track plans proposed here lately. Have a friend that is interested in purchasing my surplus Peco turnouts and wants me to throw together a small HO layout for him to do some switching and be able to test out all the loco's he paints and details. He's talking about something on the order of 12 to 18in x 8ft maximum so we can easily transport it in his truck. Will have to give some of these a good look.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed, what kind of Peco Turnouts? I'll try a few track plans.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines