A Look At Slate Creek.
MountainMan Wrote:I thought he was asking for suggestions...

In the begining I wasn't looking for suggestions I was sharing my Slate Creek plan since I talked about it for so long.

Thankfully Stein seen something I didn't-the plan wouldn't work.I checked the plan by laying it out and it didn't fit my space..

So,now any and all ideas is welcome.
-----------------------------
About adding a long warehouse..I could probably work that in..

That layout plan Stein linked to gave me a idea..Why not one big industry with interchange track?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Mostof the modern railroads I have managed/worked on have at least one or more run around tracks for reliable service. Making shoves all the time is a pain, consumes too much time and is more like a model railroad move than prototype modeling.

Barry
--------------------------------
Back in the day we would avoid run around moves due to the amount of time and work involved.The going thought of the day was "we coming' back this a' way and we'll switch it then.."

In fact there was three industrial branches in Columbus required a reverse move from Yard B to the industrial branch since there was no run around available.

Some times we would simply make a reverse move back to the yard from several industrial branch lines when there was light work.

I notice today's locals either have a engine on each end of the local or a caboose for making shoves.

So,making long reverse moves isn't exactly a model railroad thing since the prototype still makes 'em.

Of course a engine on each end of the local eliminates the need for a time consuming run around move or a long reverse move.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie, Here is another track-plan idea for the transition-era:
[Image: SlateCreekv2.jpg]

I added a carfloat since you mentioned it in an earlier post, I also used 40' cars and added a trailing switch, this can be switched without a runaround if you stage the train with the car behind the engine.

I enjoy this layout discussion since I am still looking for ideas for a small layout to build in a couple of years once I go to college, and N-scale is starting to look appealing Wink
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Good Morning Larry:

Yep, you're right there are a lot of contemporary railroads using engines on each end of locals/switch runs as well as cabooses for making shoves. And yes there are quite a lot of moves made with just plain shoves although I don't envy the conductor riding the side of a car for those long moves, as it's a long time to hang on the side of cars and your arms get tired. If I had my way about it, I would have rescued a lot of the cabooses when they were retired in order to provide good safe "shoving platforms" with control of the air brakes for making shove movements.

I guess, what I was pointing out, is, that I like the use of a runaround track on an ISL so that the operator/crew gets the feeling of arriving someplace, doing the switching and then departing the opposite direction with the engine placed on the pulling end both ways. You know, like arriving at the end of a branch and then after servicing customers heading back home.

Just some thoughts from another old, but active "Rail".

Barry
Barry,No problem..The rails have changed in many ways and some new safety and operating regulations seems to hinder railroading..I watched a NS crew make a run around move and there was a lot of steps involved from sitting handbrake's to stopping each time the switchman got on or off the equipment.I notice they stop short of the coupling-I suppose to check the coupler lineament.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Justin,Not bad at all..I thought of using a crossing several times.

I'm picking up several ideas-I may even add a runaround.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry, Here is another track-plan idea:
[Image: SlateCreek3.jpg]

I added a runaround and a "Fiddle Yard" were you can store cars no in use and then you can simply "fiddle" them onto and off your train.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
hi gentlemen,
the proposal of Justin has some issues. His ferry is very short, though the more important problem is switching the ferry itself.
First the cars bound for the sea have to be gathered (on a track 2), usually this track will be completely filled by outbound cars.
When the ferry arrives, you have to unload (on a track 3) first, before you are able to shove outbound freightcars onto the ferry.
Depending on the number of cars, switching cars to and from the various warehouses and industries around the harbour might seem easy.
If the combined length of the cars exceeds the length of the passing track you are in troubles. Some space to park cars out of the way (track 1) would be very handy.
Beside the spurs Justin has only one track. Here you fully feel the difference between a complete terminal and a scene where the preliminary switching is done in staging and only shoving cars to the right door has to be done; a major design issue!
[Image: 6X15CASSETTEBRAKIE03.jpg]

Brakie could be more specific about the space he has. Without a drawing of his space it is hard give idea's.
Is it possible to use a cassette, if so which length? Does he like to use a cassette?
Are other options possible?
He could also be more specific about the area and era. Do you want steamers? Fine, should it include an engine terminal with a roundhouse as well?
Is the length of a steamer an issue on a very short yard-lead?
Around eg NYC lots of small industrial and warehouse area's can be found. Is this the place you love to model?

On the trains forum Tomikawa gave a nice answer to a newbie asking for ideas. OK, you are looking for a woman between 20 and 40? Oohh, You have over a billion to chose from; those question are to vague.
Or I want to buy a house, please Help me. If no idea is given about the budget and specific wishes it easily becomes some shooting in the air.
Brakie it is up to you.

Smile
Paul
Justin,Talk about a coincidence..Your plan is very close to the original Slate Creek plan that I dropped in favor of the more "modern" designs put forth by Lance Mindheim.

Oddly I still like that plan as I do your plan.
-----------------------------------

Paul,My space is limited to a 1x6' or if I push it to the max maybe 7 or 8' if I had sufficient room Slate Creek would be HO-even after I move my layout space will still be limited because it will share the spare bedroom with my student desk workbench,several storage totes filled with HO and the computer.

As far as changing eras that's a back burner thought like the car ferry but,that means I would need to give up my IPD shortline boxcars-a hard thing for me to do and my modern NS/CSX collection of cars and locomotives.

As far as the design I am now open to ideas since the one I spent months designing,tweaking,redesigning,researching,refining didn't fit my space-IMHO I was way to ambitious for my space.

However,Slate Creek will be generic enough to cover the late 70s and modern day just by switching out freight cars and vehicles..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Paul,My space is limited to a 1x6' or if I push it to the max maybe 7 or 8' if I had sufficient room Slate Creek would be HO-even after I move my layout space will still be limited because it will share the spare bedroom with my student desk workbench,several storage totes filled with HO and the computer.

Is there some reason why some of these other things cannot be located under part of the layout?

Smile,
Stein
Stein,I could store them under the layout as long as I'm not stubbing my toes against them also they need to be easily accessible since I enjoy looking at 'em and I take the engines to the club for a run session.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Stein,I could store them under the layout as long as I'm not stubbing my toes against them also they need to be easily accessible since I enjoy looking at 'em and I take the engines to the club for a run session.

Err - you keep stuff on your floor, instead of on shelves, where they would be at a convenient height (and where you can keep em off the floor, giving you toe room under the shelves) ?

[Image: overview.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0208.jpg]

Those shelves under the layouts were not very pretty looking at the time the pictures were taken - but they have a lot of storage space and work space, right under the layouts.

Smile,
Stein
Stein,I would break my fool neck if I allowed things to get cluttered like that-what can I say some times I got 2 left feet. Icon_lol

The totes provide protection from accidents-oops! here and awww crap! there and that's why I use 'em not to mention I can check the contents of each tote with a quick glance of the content card-I learned that from a collector.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Stein,I would break my fool neck if I allowed things to get cluttered like that-what can I say some times I got 2 left feet. Icon_lol

The totes provide protection from accidents-oops! here and awww crap! there and that's why I use 'em not to mention I can check the contents of each tote with a quick glance of the content card-I learned that from a collector.. Thumbsup

Wonderful. I (in my more organized moments) often keep stuff in see through large plastic tubs with lids.

But is perhaps not terribly relevant in the context of figuring out how much space you could use for a layout - loose stuff on a shelf, tote bags on a shelf or see through plastic tubs on a shelf all are the same concept when you abstract out the core idea - a layout can be on a shelf that is located over (and also under) storage shelves holding "stuff".

Smile,
Stein
Larry,
looking at your origonal plan it seems to me you could shorten it up some without losing anything but running time.There are some good plans posted here,maybe you could try laying them out with the track pieces you have to see if any one of them ,or maybe pieces and parts of several different ones combined ring your bell.

Just my $2.00 worth (inflation you know).
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"