Woohooo! Cab ride today!
Still too excited to get the pics off my camera and start uploading, it was a blast. RBNM SD50M 5014 on the point for the ride out, SD50M 5049 trailing, 6 passenger cars, generator car, dome car, Pullman, and two private cars. Most track was run at 30mph, but there is a section not owned by the R&N between Haucks and Nesquehoning Junction that had a 10mph slow order. Ran in to a classic no permissions, no one moving scenario meeting the LGSR trip to High Bridge - we were cleared to just before a iding the LGSR train was goign to wait in, they had permission to enter the siding and get clear. They reported in the clear but we were all in a radio dead spot and no one could reach the DS to get a new order copied allowing us to proceed. Eventually our engineer was able to reach the DS office via cell phone and suddenly the radio started working again - all along we could talk to the other train and they could talk to us, but no one could get the dispatcher. Once we reached Jim Thorpe I got to stay onboard while the trainset was switched for the return trip, a task involving multiple moves on a signle siding to rearrancge the train with the generator car again just behind the engines and the dome car and pullman on the rear, with the coaches in between. The private cars had already been left off back at the station and put on a siding with a switcher. A great experience, the first time I've ever been in the cab of a moving locomotive. I'm still excited about it.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Congratulations, Randy. I remember my first ride in an NW2. Second ride was in a GP38-2. Both times were an absolute thrill.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)