New Woodland Scenics fire press release
Found on another forum

Woodland Scenics Recovers Quickly from Fire at Manufacturing Plant

Woodland Scenics experienced a fire at their manufacturing plant in Linn Creek, Missouri on Thursday, January 5, 2012. The determined cause of the fire was the failure of an electrical motor. Osage Beach Fire Department and several other central Missouri fire departments assisted, responding quickly and containing the fire.

The fire took eight percent of Woodland Scenics total facilities. Manufacturing and shipping operations in other buildings continued even as the firefighters fought the blaze. Several employees temporarily displaced by the fire, returned to work Friday morning to assist with clean-up and resume business operations, and many continued to work through the weekend. All employees were back to work Monday morning, January 9.

“While we still have some clean-up to do,” said CEO Dwayne Fulton, “our dedicated Woodland Scenics team has pitched in 110% to make sure we continued with business as usual! We are most grateful that no one was hurt. Friends and customers from all over the world contacted us to offer their encouragement, prayers and help. We are very appreciative and humbled by this outpouring of support.”
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
I do notice that when I went to my hobby shop today, they were out of Woodland Scenics plaster cloth and said neither their usual distributor nor Walthers had any, either. I don't know if this is a run on the stuff due to the news, or whether their plaster cloth capacity is impaired, or if it's just post-holiday layout work. Here's hoping everyone gets it back in stock, and naturally, best wishes to the folks at WS.
It was probably a panic run on the stock. I came posts on some other forums by posters who went out and snapped all the WS stuff they could find JUST IN CASE there was a shortage. Personally I've never heard of anything more stupid in my life. The news was already out that operations at WS wouldn't be impaired.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
I am glad that they are bouncing back this quickly. Usually companies will wait until an insurance settlement is reached so they don't have to dip into the coffers.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Running bear-

A few years back, the main pipeline that supplies gasoline to my city broke. They reported this on the news and said, "no need to panic, the pipeline will be repaired in a few days, the city has plenty of supply to last two weeks, and a smaller pipeline also feeds the city." Well, everyone panicked, rushed out and bought gas, and by the following day the whole city was out of gas. It's human nature to be selfish in times of crisis.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Running Bear Wrote:It was probably a panic run on the stock. I came posts on some other forums by posters who went out and snapped all the WS stuff they could find JUST IN CASE there was a shortage. Personally I've never heard of anything more stupid in my life. The news was already out that operations at WS wouldn't be impaired.

I hope these people doesn't trade at stock exchange!!! Icon_lol

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
[quote="sailormatlac"I hope these people doesn't trade at stock exchange!!! :lolol:
Matt[/quote]
Those are exactly the people that do trade at the stock exchange.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
One major difference between Woodland Scenics and other relatively small companies is that they don't have all of their production concentrated in one or two buildings. They apparently have 6 or more smaller buildings all over town, so a fire in one building doesn't effect their production like it would production was centered in one or two buildings. It would appear that the original media reports were wrong in stating that they had 3 buildings and two were involved in the fire. Subsequent reports by Woodland Scenics people indicate that there are numerous small buildings all over town that they use.
For what it's worth, plaster cloth is back in stock.
A couple of comments:

First, WS was slow to release the news to the LHS's. Mine did not know the extent of the damage and had been advised to expect some shortages. That's WS's fault.

Secondly, people tend to go into crisis management mode because they long ago realized that governments, businesses and official agencies always sp9o0n disasters to reflex a much rosier picture that what is really happening.

My philosophy is to always err on the side of caution and take whatever steps I deem necessary to meet the situation as I perceive it, not as it is "officially explained" to me. There are a lot fewer surprises that way.

And as I told the owner of my L:HS, even if WS burned totally down to the ground - all of it - it would not be long before another company stepped in to take up the slack in the market. Nothing and no one is indispensable or irreplacable.