What are the things you hate to do in model railroading?
I'm surprised no one has said "Kadee coupler springs"! there is probably a trillion of them around, but Once you loose them you'll never find them. They tend to just dissappear at random.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I'm surprised no one has said "Kadee coupler springs"! there is probably a trillion of them around, but Once you loose them you'll never find them. They tend to just dissappear at random.
Yup, definitely agree with that. By now, underneath my workbench should be knee deep in springs and small screws but there's something magical about them when the fall, they disappear, never to be found again.... poof :o
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Kadee coupler springs are not the problem. These you can get at each better hobby shop.
Many more problematic are truck springs of brass models; they jump off similarly and you can get replacement parts only very, very seldom!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
modelsof1900 Wrote:Kadee coupler springs are not the problem. These you can get at each better hobby shop.
Many more problematic are truck springs of brass models; they jump off similarly and you can get replacement parts only very, very seldom!

So you're telling me that going through several springs with them flying off into oblivion constantly is not frustrating? They may not cost anything, but if you have more than a few couplers to "respring", it can be annoying. I'm sure it gets worse as we age and little things like that in HO are impossilbe to see or hold steady.

The truck springs are a pain to, but I only have a few models with working springs, and those trucks need work in other ways.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I'm surprised no one has said "Kadee coupler springs"! there is probably a trillion of them around, but Once you loose them you'll never find them. They tend to just dissappear at random.
No chance, they are made in US. They have a constitutional right of free jumping 357
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:
No chance, they are made in US. They have a constitutional right of free jumping 357
Good one Reinhard!
faraway Wrote:No chance, they are made in US. They have a constitutional right of free jumping 357
Jumping is OK but hiding is very suspicious and tells us that they have something to hide. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:So you're telling me that going through several springs with them flying off into oblivion constantly is not frustrating? They may not cost anything, but if you have more than a few couplers to "respring", it can be annoying. I'm sure it gets worse as we age and little things like that in HO are impossilbe to see or hold steady.

Ok, coupler springs jump off and you will not see them again. I use the smallest screw driver (with parallel extent at end!) and pick up a spring between last two wires if the helix, or shorter. Set the long end of spring on tip of knuckle and after set the short end to tip of coupler head. Ok, I use a magnifying glas however so I have not (big) problems. And now my hands and fingers are not longer the finest or freshest when I will go to 68th. However it will work.

@Reinhard, very good verdict!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
nachoman Wrote:LOL, Michael! You must be a model railroad nostalgist like me. I love those old issues of Model Railroader. Some pages have great ideas, long forgotten. Others have the same old complaints that apply today. It's funny. Purists of the 50s were worried the "shake the box" kits (hence the derogatory name) would kill the hobby. Today, people worry the death of kits in general is killing the hobby.

There are many fine techniques and articles in there. Most recently, I was reading Mel Thornburg articles. Coincidentally, he was the first President of our local O-scale club. Since people used to build locomotives back then, I find that it is easier to find articles on that from back then. I have a pair of OR&L 0-6-0s to build in the near future, as well as a trio of 4-6-0s at some point in the next decade.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
There are several things I hate in the hobby.

Heres a short list.

1. Wiring-I use the KISS method some times nothing more then the two wires from the power pack.

2.Mountains-eats to much space

3.Ballasting track

4.KD knuckle springs-I have had several to fall/fly off..I even had new couplers that was missing this spring.

5.Derailments..I have zero tolerance for derailments.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I hate having to wait focr payday to roll around.
(has anyone noticed that this thread has more life than the things we like to do?)
(do we really hate model railroading that much?)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Its always been my theory that the negative things just stand out more. when things work ccording to plan, we hum along happily and don't question it. when there is a problem, it involves either loss or much extra work/ critical thinking. bonus points if the extra work doesn't amount to much satisfaction.
BR60103 Wrote:(has anyone noticed that this thread has more life than the things we like to do?)
(do we really hate model railroading that much?)
Not really, you may love your job and have a great boss, but there's always something you're not particularly pleased with doing, or something you don't agree with what your boss says or does. That's human nature. If someone were to say that they love every aspect of their job or hobby, I'd wonder about them. And even if they did, there's always something they like to do a bit less than anything else, and that's what this thread is all about. I'm in the middle of a lot of trackwork which is at the top of my "things I hate to do", but at the bottom of my list of things I like to do, so it's still on my "like" list, just not very high up. Perhaps I worded the title a bit harsh, maybe I should have said, "things you like to do the least".....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
KD coupler springs may be annoying, but I don't hate them. I hate the fact that I have to wear Optivisors to install them now. Didn't need them 20 years ago! Now the original McHenry couplers...hate-em.
willie
willie