Tragic Derailment - VIA Rail
Charlie B Wrote:That locomotive is probably more fuel efficent and mechanically sounder than the RDC's it replaced, and though it only had 75 passengers on this trip I'm sure it is fuller on others. It doesn't cost much more in fuel to pull 5 cars than it does 2 so provide some comfort and leg room for the customers.
It's tragic that this accident happened and 3 crewmen were killed. Has a caused been determined?
My heart goes out to the families of the crew and to the other passengers who were injured.
Charlie

RDC's are generations behind the type of DMU's that are running in most civilized countries around the world today.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Track speed to cross over was 15 mph. They were traveling at 67 mph at the time of the wreck, and no brake application had been made.
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
UPDATE - TSB says speed was cause:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/03/01/toronto-via-rail-investigation-update.html">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... pdate.html</a><!-- m -->

Andrew
So a lot of the so-called commentators at various news sites are now trying to play the alcohol content blame game. Nope 35

However, I read in one story that the TSB said the loco was at 107km/h and accelerating. This makes me think that they weren't expecting to take the crossover. So why did they? If anyone knows that section of track, is it common to cross over at that point? From my time in Oakville/Burlington (and some of the pictures show) that there are plenty of straight, parallel tracks through there for the large amount of traffic that comes out of Toronto westbound...

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:This makes me think that they weren't expecting to take the crossover.

If they weren't expecting to take the crossover doesn't it mean that they missed a signal?
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
TinGoat Wrote:
MasonJar Wrote:This makes me think that they weren't expecting to take the crossover.

If they weren't expecting to take the crossover doesn't it mean that they missed a signal?

Could there be something wrong with the switch machine and/or the signal? I.e. signal said straight ahead, even though the switch was set to cross over.

Andrew
The " weren't expecting the crossover " theory has made it down our way , too . It's hard to believe 2 seasoned veterans ( who stayed in Windsor regularly on stop-overs ) would let a rookie speed through a cross over .

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.