Building an Airbrushing Booth.
Hi Andrew!

The fan is working great. No problems. I think the fear of the fumes getting into the airflow and a spark causing an explosion are greatly exaggerated in a sense. It's not like I've constructed a paint booth for a car where the vapour would be at concentrated levels.

Good luck with your build. Let me know how that set up works for you, it looks pretty slick.

Shane
Hi Shane,

Thanks for looking in on this! The booth is still in the planning stage, and it has moved to a friend's house who has more room. It'll be a joint project at this point. We have looked at fans, but my friend is still seeking permission from the "planning department" to make a hole in his foundation for venting.

If you happen to have that link, please let me know. Bookmark is long-gone... 35

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew,

I cannot find the specific squirrel cage fan blower I used at Acklands Grainger anymore... However, this is the one I used.

Dayton 1TDR3
http://www.drillspot.com/products/433894...PSC_Blower

It's been awhile ago so they might have stopped carrying it.
In my (limited) experience too much airflow is as bad as too little. The other thing is it is easier to make the box and filter plenum out of Foamboard. Further I'm thinking on a new one to have the fan mounted on plywood at the exit window rather than at the box - which will also make it a little easier to move off the workbench and may make the use of a filter moot...
Just some more ideas, whatever works for you!

Best, Pete.
tetters Wrote:Andrew,

I cannot find the specific squirrel cage fan blower I used at Acklands Grainger anymore... However, this is the one I used.

Dayton 1TDR3
http://www.drillspot.com/products/433894...PSC_Blower

It's been awhile ago so they might have stopped carrying it.

Thanks!

trisonic Wrote:In my (limited) experience too much airflow is as bad as too little. The other thing is it is easier to make the box and filter plenum out of Foamboard. Further I'm thinking on a new one to have the fan mounted on plywood at the exit window rather than at the box - which will also make it a little easier to move off the workbench and may make the use of a filter moot...
Just some more ideas, whatever works for you!

Best, Pete.

I will have to (re)measure our cabinet once we determine the size of the stage to make sure I get the appropriate flow. There will be probably one, or maybe two elbows, plus a run of about 6 feet to get outside.

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Hi Shane, The booth is still in the planning stage, and it has moved to a friend's house who has more room. It'll be a joint project at this point. We have looked at fans, but my friend is still seeking permission from the "planning department" to make a hole in his foundation for venting. Andrew

If the clothes dryer is in the basement :
There is a PVC " Y" valve made, that fits the dryer exhaust. I believe it was intended to allow the dryer exhaust to be vented into the basement to heat, and "moisturize" the basement in the winter, and vented to the exterior during warmer weather.
There was one inline in the dryer exhaust hose/pipe, when I moved in, and I used it, "in reverse", to connect either the dryer exhaust, or the spray booth vent to the through foundation vent fitting. Been using it for years now.
Just a thought.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MasonJar Wrote:Hi Shane, The booth is still in the planning stage, and it has moved to a friend's house who has more room. It'll be a joint project at this point. We have looked at fans, but my friend is still seeking permission from the "planning department" to make a hole in his foundation for venting. Andrew

If the clothes dryer is in the basement :
There is a PVC " Y" valve made, that fits the dryer exhaust. I believe it was intended to allow the dryer exhaust to be vented into the basement to heat, and "moisturize" the basement in the winter, and vented to the exterior during warmer weather.
There was one inline in the dryer exhaust hose/pipe, when I moved in, and I used it, "in reverse", to connect either the dryer exhaust, or the spray booth vent to the through foundation vent fitting. Been using it for years now.
Just a thought.

Although that is a fantastic idea, it has already been ruled out by his wife who thinks that the one time we forget to switch it, all the whites will be in the dryer...! Icon_lol

Andrew
Quote:Although that is a fantastic idea, it has already been ruled out by his wife who thinks that the one time we forget to switch it, all the whites will be in the dryer...! Icon_lol

Andrew

So what's wrong with having Boxcar Red or Grimy Black bedsheets or underwear? Never mind, I've answered the question myself. Goldth
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
ngaugingnut Wrote:So what's wrong with having Boxcar Red or Grimy Black bedsheets or underwear? Never mind, I've answered the question myself. Goldth

Eek Eek 357 So that's how it happened !!!! 357 357

On the other hand, I need to paint another locomotive.....so I'll wait a bit, and do it just before my Boxcar Red 'shorts' start to fade to pink.....grimy black would be a far better choice Eek Eek Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I just had an idea. You guys could always fire up the range hood over the stove and do some painting while baking a cake or something. Misngth
tetters Wrote:I just had an idea. You guys could always fire up the range hood over the stove and do some painting while baking a cake or something. Misngth

And since the oven is warmed up already use it to bake the paint on. You might want to take the cake out first and lower the temperature! [where can I find a melted smilie?]
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
ngaugingnut Wrote:
tetters Wrote:I just had an idea. You guys could always fire up the range hood over the stove and do some painting while baking a cake or something. Misngth

And since the oven is warmed up already use it to bake the paint on. You might want to take the cake out first and lower the temperature! [where can I find a melted smilie?]

This is a perfect application for GEC's Industrial strength cake. The description of which says, "Industrial strength delicious cake is impervious to most forms of contamination".* Misngth

Mark

*See, <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4100&start=195">viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4100&start=195</a><!-- l --> , page 14 for description.
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:
ngaugingnut Wrote:And since the oven is warmed up already use it to bake the paint on. You might want to take the cake out first and lower the temperature! [where can I find a melted smilie?]

This is a perfect application for GEC's Industrial strength cake. The description of which says, "Industrial strength delicious cake is impervious to most forms of contamination".* Misngth

Mark

*See, <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4100&start=195">viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4100&start=195</a><!-- l --> , page 14 for description.

[In your best Homer Simpson voice]

Mmmm.... industrial.... drool, drool...!

Andrew