Poll: Are you interested in decals for biL's Lehigh Susquehanna & Western railroad?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1 HO scale set in white
25.00%
5 25.00%
2 HO scale sets in white
35.00%
7 35.00%
3 HO scale sets in white
15.00%
3 15.00%
4 HO scale sets in white
5.00%
1 5.00%
5 HO scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
1 HO scale set in black
5.00%
1 5.00%
2 HO scale sets in black
5.00%
1 5.00%
3 HO scale sets in black
5.00%
1 5.00%
4 HO scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
5 HO scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
1 N scale set in white
0%
0 0%
2 N scale sets in white
5.00%
1 5.00%
3 N scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
4 N scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
5 N scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
1 N scale set in black
0%
0 0%
2 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
3 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
4 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
5 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Remembering biL Marsland...
Catt Wrote:Any chance of a more modern font for us modern guys?

For the same lettering, even changing nothing but the font, requires a totally new order and, of course, a minimum of 25 sets. The font used and even the style of the herald is very traditional, and certainly contributes to its credibility on older style cars, but I think that it could still look good on a more modern car. Since dimensional data isn't part of the set (a deliberate choice on my part to accommodate modern-era modellers), the use of such data, along with "lube plates" and other modern touches should make it look right. On an outside post car, the herald (I guess it might be called a logo nowadays) would be on a sheet metal plaque attached to the ribs, like this:

[Image: Garysfreightcars07.jpg]

The other alternative is to simply use alphabet decals or dry transfers to make a modernised version. The herald part could be done in a modern font or eliminated altogether, then all that would be required is LS&W reporting marks and numerals in a modern style.
If the custom decal idea doesn't float (it's looking quite promising, though Thumbsup ) it would be my plan to simply do four or five cars that way, using the original-style herald, of course. We're fortunate, I guess, that biL's sense of design produced an all-word herald with no picture or outline - easy to reproduce letter-by-letter. Wink Goldth

Wayne
Hello Everyone---as Doctor Wayne has reminded us,today is the first anniversary of our friend Bill's passing.Bill's spirit will live on and he will remind me of the true friendships and bonding that the Big Blue family has created in my life
I'm in for two sets in white. Thanks for coming up with this great idea, docWayne.

Also, love the EG&E car in your photo! Thumbsup
Just a bit of an update on this project. My brother is currently working on layout drawings for the lettering sets, and it may be possible to get enough lettering on one sheet to do three cars. I'm hoping for three sizes of the herald, with reporting marks and car numbers in two or three sizes and car-end numbers in two sizes. Depending on the cars to which they're applied, one might be able to letter up to three cars in HO or N, using only one set. It also appears that there's enough demand to justify having part of the order done in black.
When I get the preliminary drawings, I'll post a photo here, and when the cost-per-set is known, I'll add that information. Then I'll need a fairly firm commitment, by PM or e-mail, on how many sets each of you want. Whatever the cost to me will be the same to you, plus postage, which should be the cost of mailing a letter.

Wayne
One set in white for an undecorated 40' boxcar I will start working on sometime in the near future....
Gus (LC&P).
An update on the LS&W decal project. Here's a first draught of the proposed decal sheet:

[Image: lehigh_outline_art.jpg]

The finished sheet will be 3.5"x4.25", with the largest reporting marks and numerals about 4mm high. The mid-size reporting marks and numerals, at 2mm, are intended as end data for HO scale cars, while the smallest are meant for the same purpose in N scale. N scale modellers can use either the HO reporting marks and numerals or the HO car-end data as the lettering for their car sides. I don't have biL's proposed numbering scheme (accidentally deleted an e-mail with that info 35 ), so you'll need to make your own version - the numerals will need to be applied individually, and there are lines for above the reporting marks and below the numbers if your era requires them. They'll need to be cut-out and applied separately.
There are three sizes of the LS&W herald, and enough data to potentially letter three cars from one sheet. The modeller will need to provide their own dimensional data appropriate to their particular era. Rail Graphics, who will be producing the decals, offers dimensional data sheets suitable for several particular eras.
I've tried to offer the most possibilities with the lettering sizes and the selection of numerals, but their application is up to the individual modeller. I'll be doing at least a half-dozen cars for myself, and will post pictures here when they're done. I invite all who are participating in this memorial for biL to join in.

Preliminary response indicates that I'll be ordering 50 sets, with 5 in black and the balance in white and that the price will be approximately $3.00 per sheet, plus the postage required for me to send it to you - probably just the cost of a letter.

I welcome any comments or criticisms - I've sent a proof to Rail Graphics and hope to get a firmer estimate on the cost. Once the artwork has been okayed by both them and those interested in copies of the decals, I'll need a PM or e-mail from everyone, outlining how many sets you want and whether in black or white.

Wayne
Hi Doc---thanks for all your effort in getting this project for our friend Bill rolling Cheers
Wayne, while I loath graffiti would it be possible to add "Bil" to the sheet in a script to use as a car knocker mark or general graffiti in different blank areas, maybe a couple of different sizes?
Charlie B Wrote:Wayne, while I loath graffiti would it be possible to add "Bil" to the sheet in a script to use as a car knocker mark or general graffiti in different blank areas, maybe a couple of different sizes?
A very good suggestion! I would be glad to have a "biL" on my car.

ps. Did you think about payment from overseas? The international banking systems are not very efficient for transfers of small amounts. Is PayPal a possible solution?
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote:Wayne, while I loath graffiti would it be possible to add "Bil" to the sheet in a script to use as a car knocker mark or general graffiti in different blank areas, maybe a couple of different sizes?
A very good suggestion! I would be glad to have a "biL" on my car.

ps. Did you think about payment from overseas? The international banking systems are not very efficient for transfers of small amounts. Is PayPal a possible solution?
Reinhart, I think you can use paypal to transfer money to anyone that has an email address. but I think it is easy enough to set up a paypal account
Wayne,

Thanks for doing this. Perhaps we could start a LS&W photo thread where we can post photos of our completed tribute equipment.

Dave
-Dave
Very nice job on those Doc.. Cheers please put me down for 3 sets in white please. Just PM me with the billing info and I'll get a check out to you.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I sent my brother an e-mail about adding "Bil" (and also biL, as he used both versions at various times) and should hear back from him sometime tomorrow.

I've had problems cashing checks from U.S. banks in the past, but I'm investigating the PayPal option, as I already have an account with them.
If the PayPal option seems okay, anybody who wishes may then use it. For those whom I'll be seeing in person, face-to-face deals work best, and Canadian cheques are acceptable as are postal money orders in either Canadian or U.S. funds. However, no payment should be sent until you have received the decals.

Wayne
Wow, I missed this. This is a great idea - is it too late to get a set in white? I've got an undecorated boxcar I am working on now, and it's gonna need decals!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Wow, I missed this. This is a great idea - is it too late to get a set in white? I've got an undecorated boxcar I am working on now, and it's gonna need decals!

It shouldn't be a problem: based on the results of the poll, I plan on ordering 50 sets, which is a few more than were requested.
I'm not getting much response via e-mail or PM from those who replied to the poll, though. At the moment I'm looking only for verification that you're still interested in however many sets you originally indicated. This is simply to determine the size of the initial order. Nobody will be required to pay until you have the decals in-hand.

On the subject of payment, Reinhard (faraway) was kind enough to try a test run of PayPal. He sent me $1.00 (Canadian) via PayPal, and I was surprised to discover that only 66 cents of that was added to my PayPal account. While we're not talking massive sums of money here, a 33% fee seems rather excessive.
Postage rates for me to mail the decals to you are $.61 within Canada, $1.05 to the U.S., and $1.80 International, so it would appear that buyers would need to pay the cost of the decals ordered, plus the applicable postage, plus an additional 33%. I don't mind fronting the original cost, and I'm certainly not interested in making any money from this idea, but I also don't want to lose money on this nor do I like seeing anybody get gouged.
I can accept personal cheques from Canadians, but those from elsewhere are sometimes difficult to cash. My original though was that buyers could simply mail cash (bills only, no coins) by placing it inside a folded sheet of paper and then in an envelope. I know this is not the best method, but I've used it successfully several times. I can accept either Canadian or U.S. money, as I'm quite close to the border and can travel there anytime - the current exchange rate is roughly equal. If anybody has another suggestion, please post it here.

My brother has indicated that the suggested change to the decals will be done, and once I get the file, I'll be ordering, so please contact me to verify your interest. A PM will work, or you can e-mail me at:

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:wtoth2@cogeco.ca">wtoth2@cogeco.ca</a><!-- e -->

Wayne