Athearn and alcohol
Some Athearn UP GP15-1 have been lightly weathered last night. I used a black wash and some diluted brown at the trucks and front.
The nice effect is the black wash made of a few drops indian ink, 20% destiled water and 80% alcohol. The high percentage of alcohol made the Athearn paint look like faded out. A very welcome effect especially on the roof. Much easier than getting that effect with a white wash. It did also remove all gloss and gives a nice used dull finish.
Be careful with Athearns decals (e.g. Union Pacific lettering at the long hood). They become soft like treated with Micro Sol while wet with alcohol. Do not touch!

Wanted to let you know how Athearns paint reacts with 80% alcohol.

[Image: 8cf8d41a.jpg?t=1340260261]
[Image: 79e2a4b4.jpg?t=1340260257]
[Image: 2172419c.jpg?t=1340278634]
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Some Athearn UP GP15-1 have been lightly weathered last night. I used a black wash and some deluded brown at the trucks and front.
The nice effect is the black wash made of a few drops indian ink, 20% deskilled water and 80% alcohol. The high percentage of alcohol made the Athearn paint look like faded out. A very welcome effect especially on the roof. Much easier than getting that effect with a white wash. It did also remove all gloss and gives a nice used dull finish.
Be careful with Athearns decals (e.g. Union Pacific lettering at the long hood). They become soft like treated with Micro Sol while wet with alcohol. Do not touch!

Wanted to let you know how Athearns paint reacts with 80% alcohol.

Interesting reaction. Looks very nicely faded. Thanks for the head up!

Btw - I think you meant "diluted" (i.e thinned out) alcohol instead of "deluded" (mentally confused) alcohol. Although alcohol can have that effect too, if you drink enough of it :-)

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:...Btw - I think you meant "diluted" (i.e thinned out) alcohol instead of "deluded" (mentally confused) alcohol. Although alcohol can have that effect too, if you drink enough of it :-)...
Thanks for a helping eye Smile
ps. At my age I can get that effect without alcohol too.... says my wife :o
Reinhard
steinjr Wrote:Btw - I think you meant "diluted" (i.e thinned out) alcohol instead of "deluded" (mentally confused) alcohol. Although alcohol can have that effect too, if you drink enough of it :-) Smile, Stein

357 357 That's why I never dilute the alcohol that I drink - - - - Icon_twisted 357 I get a "weathered view" of everything. :o Icon_twisted

The cautions, are well implied... I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, to strip the paint, and lettering, before re-painting and re-lettering, so if you are using it to fade the finish, let it dry thoroughly ( I would recommend overnight ) before touching it.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!