An engine servicing facility for the JGL
That is such great work! I really like that station and its detailing. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Thanks so much to Pete, Bob, Galen and Russ for their thoughts on the spacing of the platform roof supports. I was hoping I could get by with 3" and it seems that may be too far apart given the wood supports and shingled wooden roof I plan. And thanks very much for that photo Bob, it will be helpful! I need to buy more supports and I'll get going on this.

Thanks also to Gary and HercDriver for your kind words. Somday I hope to get my friend Blake over and perhaps with his camera we can get better photos of the interior. As much as I like to have detailed interiors, I find as I work on them I get impatient to move along, I have so much to do. I suppose an option would be to come back later and do the interiors. This may be the way I go in the future.

Steve, I don't enter the competitions often because my track record for getting a project done on time is poor! When I first read about this summers structure challenge, I thought "hey, I have the perfect project for it" But I'm now involved with relaying some trackage I tore up and then I will go back to the Station, so no way I'll get to it in time. Here are the walls of the kit I thought of, leaning against each other in the spot it will go.

Here is the photo from the kit box. Note I am building it diffeently than intended, I will have to remove some of the tabs and need to extend one wall (streetside) And the corner entrance needs modification. But it ought to come out nicely, and is similar to the building that was on the corner I am modeling, from Garfield, NJ

Great work sir....I really enjoy watching your layout come to life! 2285_

Matt
What a neat little street scene! That building is going to look great in that location.

I can commiserate on taking a long time to finish a project. I'm not proud to say it, but there's just so much else going on right now with a family, work, etc. that I don't make as much time for the hobby as some do (Cliff Powers & his MA&G comes to mind) but I'm not complaining. So don't worry if it takes forever. Your results speak for themselves! It's worth the wait!

How are you planning on burying the street trackage?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Hi all, I've started back to work on the station platform. Oh, and Galen, I'm sorry I never answered your question about the street trackage. I should have right away because what happened when I didn't is I haven't opened this thread again till now. I will be using styrene for the street, cutting it to fit between the rails.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of scale lights I can use for platform lighting. I can run wires beneath the roof of the platform and would like to install lights, but they would have to be models of lights, not just bare bulbs. We're talking circa 1950. I'm not sure what style would be appropriate, but a search has come up empty for any scale models. I wonder if a bulb in a protective cage would be correct? Any thoughts on how to model those?
If you need tiny lights, ngineering is the way to go, if you have great patience, a good magnifier, and some skill with a soldering iron.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ngineering.com">http://www.ngineering.com</a><!-- m -->

I've seen their stuff in person and it's really phenomenal. No problem on the late reply...I know how it is with many projects going and life's distractions shifting your direction.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I am very impressed with your layout. In fact this thread is bookmarked for a future project.
New kid in town
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.Modelersguild.com">www.Modelersguild.com</a><!-- w -->
Thanks for that link Galen. Their stuff does look really nice, and good to know you've seen it in person. I'm leaning towards buying the leds, a length of the tubing and some lampshades and making hanging lamps between the roof supports. Realizing I will need to make the soldering as easy as possible, I will likely buy their tool and the mini iron too.

Thanks Ron for the kind words, and I'm glad something in here will help you.