An engine servicing facility for the JGL
Lester Perry Wrote:
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think locomotives were also backed in to the roundhouse so that a minimum of smoke and soot would actually enter the roundhouse, but I may be mistaken on that count. The obvious exception to locomotives being backed in would be the Southern Pacific cab forwards since in reality they were designed to run "backwards."
Steam Locomotives were pulled in forward. There was a large ductwork for lack of a better term. That hung from the ceiling for the exhaust to exit the building Note there is a smoke stack for each track in most cases.
Les

Many round houses had exhaust ductowrk at the front and back. Since the "back" of the roundhouse offered the most space for working (think "wide end of the pie") whichever end of the loco needed work would be put in first. This was often the front end, with the cylinders and many of the big moving parts, but not always. For example, if work was needed on the tender-loco connection, the engine may have been backed in.

Many pictures you see of roundhouses, with all the engine "front ends" poking out were posed specifically for the occasion.

Andrew
Hi Miles, nice to hear from you again. Bob, thanks for that link, lots of great photos there. I got the cinder block sheet and have made the rear walls for the roundhouse extension. Unfortunately I do not seem able to get a seamless joint where the walls join and it has bummed me out. This has often been a problem with my scratchbuild efforts. I'm posting some photos and you'll see what I mean. At this point I am not sure how I will proceed, suggestions are welcome! A thought I have is to use the cinder block sheet to provide a second course of block in a verticle column at the two joints. I would cut strips an appropriate width, score down the center so it folds nicely, and apply overf the joints. I am not sure if this would be at all prototypical. Thoughts? I am reluctant to build the walls over again. Cutting the openings for the windows was not something I'd like to repeat. And the windows themselves are unlikely to survice an attempt to remove them. Cutting the clear styrene for the opening section of the windows was tedious as well. Here is a pic showing the bad seams:

Her are pics showing the two sides of the extensions.

Two more. One shows the interior well, see I painted the posts white as DocWaynes photo showed. The beams on top won't be visable with the roof in place and I need to glue the roof to them, so I did not paint them. The other pic shows the windows well, and what you can see thru them. Of course with the roof in place it will be dark inside. It almost makes me want to light the interior. But I think I can resist it.

Great job on the extention.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Gary, the secret word for today is "downspouts". Wink Misngth While it'll mean extra work to install eavetroughs (Evergreen channel would work, or, if they don't have half-round tubing, you could probably split some regular styrene tubing), it will add some detail and be more prototypical. The quantities of water coming off such a large roof would not be very good for the foundation. The most likely scenario would be for the downspout to enter a pipe just above ground level, which would take the water to a storm sewer.

Wayne
Wayne, I'm happy to hear you mention this as a possible solution. Downspouts were my first thought, Ive used them (and electrical conduit) to hide other earlier failed attempts at wall joints. It seems the joints I do get correctly are just luck, not skill! I wasn't sure about gutters and downspouts on roundhouses, but your suggestion sells me on them. Onward!

Gary
that interior looks cool Thumbsup ,it may mean more work but i would totally light the interior on that,seeing all those windows and engine's lit up at night is just too cool Goldth .for the wall joints id agree with wayne,the downspouts are great with conduit on some others. either way the roundhouse looks great.--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
That is nice big round house. Would some ivy crawling up the wall be an appropriate suggesting for covering up the seam as well in this case? Just something I thought of when looking at it to give the structure as sense of time like ivy growing up the side of a wall. :?:
Believe it or not, some brickwork looked like that - with the gaps. I can't recall seeing cinderblock used in such a way, but there are definitely examples of standard brick joints being made like that. Especially where the house or building in question is a double, triple or quad-brick wall.

I'll see if I can find some pictures. (Very) quick google did not turn up anything.

Edited for clarification... 35

Andrew
Gary, the walls look fine, and the idea of covering the troublesome joints with a column of blocks (or concrete) is a fine solution. I think these features are called "pilasters", and they stiffen/strengthen the support for the roof trusses - there are similar brick pilasters on the "kit" walls, (but the joints fall in the middle of them, making them less obvious as a solution to the joint cammoflage on the extension). Just score the mortar lines into the edges and align them with the wall mortar joints...outta come out fine. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Gary, if you do decide to go with the downspout solution, I, just today, found some nice ones by Micro Engineering. There are six 35' lengths of eavestrough, and six 23' long downspouts in a package, moulded in light grey styrene. The part number is 80-163. While I don't have any immediate need for these, I bought a pack anyway, and will save them for a rainy day. Wink Misngth

Wayne
Hmmm...Could'a sworn I posted a reply here a few minutes ago...But no see...It went something like this...

Doc...Good one...!!! 357

Gary...I've been following this thread closely as I'll be building one, a little more "rustic" (board & batten construction) in the coming months.
I like that interior..!!! Any chance of making the roof removable so folks can peek inside & see all that great work..?? Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Man you are doing a fantastic job on this thing!! I love the open windows, thats a great detail!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Thanks for all the encouraging replies. I have not as yet decided on a pillaster or downspouts. I know brick structures use pillasters but I am not sure about cinder block, hence my hesitation. For now I am working on extending the roofs, and some basic detailing for the interior, which I do not think I will light, but am still not sure! What I m thinking is to get the structure in place on the layout with the roofs, at leadt on the extended stalls, not in place, but ready to glue in place. Leaving them not glued in doesn't seem to be a viable option, as when the structure is slightly bumped, they tend to fall. But with the structure in place and the roof panels sitting on top I will see what the view thru the rear windows is like. I'm going to put a line of lockers on one of the extended side walls, the one with the angle most favoring viewing. The other extended side wall has a door in the center, and I have an air compressor casting I will place to the side of the door. That's going to be the extent of interior detailing I think. If I can add lights thet will accent loco fronts and these up close details, I may do so. Here are a few pics, the kit roof with the roof extension next to it (the kit roof is 60 thousanths so is easy to match up) I realized that if I left the roof like this, the exhaust stacks would no longer be over the loco front. So I cut up the roof sections as shown in the next pic. Last pic is one locker I made up, only raised detail is the strip around the edges. The louvers and handle are just painted on, and none to well. However I am sure it will look ok thru the windows, if they are even visable!