New York Cross Harbor RR Alcos
talltim Wrote:
Rscott417 Wrote:Just a heads up if anyone is interested, I put #11 on ebay starting at $150
Wish I had seen this at the time. Why did you sell it?
It was a bachmann model with a sound decoder installed already and my other NYCH engines have LokSound decoder that have more sounds like coupler crash, start up and shut down and the bachmann model didn't have all that. I'd like to do another S4 with all those sounds. I think someone on this forum might have actually bought it.
I'm currently selling my engines on eBay if anyone is interested.<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/bscott0417/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=">http://www.ebay.com/sch/bscott0417/m.ht ... pg=&_from=</a><!-- m -->
First of all bravo...what a magnificent job on those models. As a fellow modeler of the New York Cross Harbor who is still in the benchwork/trackwork phases I wanted to inquire as to how hard it was to install a decoder in the S1's. I too have a Proto 2000 S1 that I purchased to be my #25. I purchased the unit over 10 years ago. I have since read that it is a real pain to install a decoder in these as there is an orange wire that can chafe the chassis and cause a short. So soldering/bypassing things etc. are all pointing to a disaster. Let me know how you did it and what challenges you faced if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks! Joe
Lupo10 Wrote:First of all bravo...what a magnificent job on those models. As a fellow modeler of the New York Cross Harbor who is still in the benchwork/trackwork phases I wanted to inquire as to how hard it was to install a decoder in the S1's. I too have a Proto 2000 S1 that I purchased to be my #25. I purchased the unit over 10 years ago. I have since read that it is a real pain to install a decoder in these as there is an orange wire that can chafe the chassis and cause a short. So soldering/bypassing things etc. are all pointing to a disaster. Let me know how you did it and what challenges you faced if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks! Joe

Sorry I missed your post Joe, I didn't install them because I was told of the same nightmare stories. I'm happy to say though that #25 and #59 are going to make a comeback and I'm currently working on them. Post your progress on the site, I'd like to see your layout and your interpretation of the NYCH.
Hello,
i can't agree to the nightmare sceneries.

[Image: dsc03109pi2a.jpg]
P2K ALCO S-1

[Image: dsc00222rzuef.jpg]
The only hassle that can occur with this type of motor are not insulated brush terminals. The non-insulation is caused by the brass washer which shorts one of the brush terminal to the motor frame.
- screw off the non insulated terminal with brush holder
- use a plastic washer or made one yourself as shown in the photo, a piece of 0,5mm styrene sheet or similar will work

[Image: dsc00223vbu0m.jpg]
- place insulated washer as shown
- reinstall brush holder
- check the insulation by rating

This motors were out of old Atlas ALCO S-2's which were not DCC ready.

Hope this helps to demystify something.