Building the NM&RC
The ribs for the roof is in place, the uneven spacing is because of the interior partition wall:
[Image: 2736_w1200.jpg]

The coach is given its first coat of teak stain, and the roof has been primed:
[Image: 2742_w1200.jpg]

One more coat of stain, and then some gloss varnish on top to get a little more shine to it, the stain has quite a flat finish. The frame and the buffer beams will be painted black.

Svein
Looking good!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I agree.. Looking Good!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks guys!

We've been invited to a private garden railway meeting this weekend, so if the weather permits, we take a trip. Hopefully the coach is finished and ready for some serious running, and maybe we get to take a few pics as well.

Svein
Today has been a wonderful day! Great weather, great company, great layout, and a great time running and discussing trains! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Here are some pics from today's meeting, enjoy:
[Image: 2745_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2747_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2748_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2751_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2753_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2762_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2763_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2764_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2773_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2778_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2781_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2789_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2797_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2798_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2802_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2807_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2817_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2818_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2824_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2828_w1200.jpg]

Svein
Sure looks like fun! I'm impressed by some of the scenic details on those outdoor scenes. Love the photo of real steam crossing that bridge. How long are the tunnels and is there a way of accessing a train inside?
Ralph
Man - That's nice!! Always fun to see garden railroads! Thanks for posting...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Wow live steam in the garden looks good. I almost got an O gauge live steam kit once but was afraid of getting injured. How reliable and safe are such kits?
I'm glad you liked it, it sure was a blast! We knew several of them from the Norwegian model railroad forum, it was nice to finally meet them in person. There's a rather small group of people hosting unofficial meetings where they get together and have fun, the locations of those meetings aren't publicly announced due to the fear of vandalism and theft. I'm so glad we were invited! This was out first time ever attending a garden railway meeting, but there will definitely be more! Maybe later, when our own layout is more presentable, we can host our own meeting.

Ralph:
There were two tunnels about 2-3 feet long, accessible from the ends. In addition, there were two underpasses where the track went through the wood frame for the upper level. The longest one about 4-5 feet I guess (between the staging/service area by the fence and the twin truss bridges), but with plenty of room to reach in if anything should happen. In fact, my own train got rearended by another one in just that underpass at one time (guess I was running too slow 357 ), but luckily no derailment or damage.

AF350:
I have never heard of any serious accidents involving live steam. Of course, since you are dealing with actual steam engines, they get hot, but so does your stove when cooking, right? Wink Also, the steam pressure is controlled by a safety valve, which pops at about 40psi on my engine, so any boiler explosion is very unlikely, if even possible. Regarding the reliability of these engines, they should always be subject of proper maintenance and lubrication. Cheap and low quality models would be more of an issue, you get what you pay for I think.

Svein
The coach is finished, only the interior lighting remains:
[Image: 2835_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2836_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2837_w1200.jpg]

Svein
Very nice coach indeed Svein Thumbsup

I still haven't managed to convince my wife that an outdoor railway would be an asset, but I live in hope!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Well, guess it's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work:
[Image: 2838_w1200.jpg]

That's 15.3 metric tonnes of sand and gravel, suddenly the wheelbarrow seems awfully small... Eek

Svein
Kev1340 Wrote:Very nice coach indeed Svein Thumbsup

I still haven't managed to convince my wife that an outdoor railway would be an asset, but I live in hope!

Cheers,

Kev

Thanks Kev, but to be honest my girlfriend did all the work on that one Smile

You know, the trick is to be very subtle, and let her think it was all her idea in the first place Wink

Svein
You have obviously mastered the subtleties better than me Svein! I did notice your girlfriend had built the coach. At least I get encouragement for my N scale modelling from my wife.

Mind you, she has expressed an interest in a G scale 'Christmas' train ..... Perhaps that could be a seed .....

Keep your great photos coming, perhaps they will inspire her!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Svein Wrote:
Kev1340 Wrote:Very nice coach indeed Svein Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev

Thanks Kev, but to be honest my girlfriend did all the work on that one Smile

You know, the trick is to be very subtle, and let her think it was all her idea in the first place Wink

LOL - Vigdis might just "very subtly" allow you to move the whole pile of dirt alone now, and let you think that was all your idea in the first place ;-)

Good progress on your garden layout!

Grin,
Stein