Bruce
Hello Everyone---a few more shots from the past

[Image: 2009ns008.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns010.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns013.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns007.jpg]
Great threat nutbar! :mrgreen:

Awesome pics posted by all!

Engines #7104 & #7106 just slap knocked my socks off Eek , i just loved those Big Grin
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Thanks Deano---great to have you back,wish I could have made the trip with Doctor Wayne to meet you and your Dad
bdw9535 Wrote:Nice shots, thanks for posting but I don't see any ex Conrail in there 357

Bruce

Here's some Conrail, shot just south-east of Hamilton on the TH&B's line to Buffalo. The location is between Vinemount and Smithville, Ontario.
[Image: Conrail-THBtrainwithELandPCunitseas.jpg]

[Image: Conrail-THBtrainwithELandPCunitswes.jpg]

Wayne
cn nutbar Wrote:Thanks Deano---great to have you back,wish I could have made the trip with Doctor Wayne to meet you and your Dad
Thanks nutbar! :mrgreen:

I really wish you could have made it too!
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Wayne,
Nice shots of the CR and EL GP35's, since the EL unit is still in full paint without a CR stencil on it, what year was the pic taken?

Thanks
Bruce
bdw9535 Wrote:Wayne,
Nice shots of the CR and EL GP35's, since the EL unit is still in full paint without a CR stencil on it, what year was the pic taken?

Thanks
Bruce

Bruce, I wasn't very conscientious about putting dates on my photos - I had always assumed this to be from 1976. However, I'm pretty sure that it was taken in March, partially based on this photo, the first of the three shot that day:
[Image: Conrail-THBtraineastofVinemount.jpg]

Unless Conrail had locos painted in blue before their April 1, 1976 start-up, that would mean that the photo is actually from 1977. My interest was mainly in the EL diesel, as it was the first that I'd seen in Hamilton - most days it was ex PC geeps, although I do recall some Reading locos on a day when I didn't have my camera with me. I didn't notice until looking at the photos much later that the third unit, as seen in the first photo, was an RS-11. Most of my TH&B photos were taken before I went into work on afternoon shift, or, as is the case with the three above, after night shift.

Wayne
Hello Everyone---thanks for all the feedback and a special thanks to Doctor Wayne for adding some of his excellent photos from the past.Here's a few more photos that I think Charlie,Deano and Bruce might enjoy.Sorry for the poor quality of these shots as I'm still experimenting with the new camera---anyway,hope you enjoy

[Image: 2009ns3005.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3009.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3028.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3008.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3011.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3012.jpg]
Quote:Unless Conrail had locos painted in blue before their April 1, 1976 start-up, that would mean that the photo is actually from 1977. My interest was mainly in the EL diesel, as it was the first that I'd seen in Hamilton - most days it was ex PC geeps, although I do recall some Reading locos on a day when I didn't have my camera with me. I didn't notice until looking at the photos much later that the third unit, as seen in the first photo, was an RS-11.
I have seen other pictures of unpatched units in '77, so that's plausible.

The third unit is a C425. On an RS-11, the radiators would be raised. On this unit, the radiator is flush and the area above raised.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
Thanks, Triplex, for the clarification. I never even noticed that there was an Alco in the consist until several years after taking the picture. 35 I think that the fuel tank is different from that on an RS-11, too. Goldth

Wayne
Hello Everyone---here's a few shots of the other railroads that run through Hamilton

[Image: 2009ns5040.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns5025.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns5001.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3030.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns3024.jpg]
cn nutbar,

Always enjoy seeing pics of Conrail, thanks for posting

Bruce
And I always like shots of CP in the east in the 90s. That was the last time CP looked like itself.

It's not that long ago that I realized, though CP retired its last 244-engined power in 1986, apart from wrecks, its 251-engined fleet remained intact until 1991. When I was young, I didn't know about the then-current diesels, because I learned about railroads from old books and magazines. And it happened that CP didn't have any recent designs - except the SD40-2F. Had I seen one, I would've mistaken it for an F45, and since I don't recall ever seeing an "F45", they must not have regularly run in the west in the early 90s. I had no idea what an AC4400 was the first time I saw it. Anyway, I thought of second-generation diesels as "current" power. Later, I learned that most U-boats and Centuries were gone, in many cases before I was born. Then, later, I learned that I was right the first time. In eastern Canada, Class 1 Alcos had lasted into my early railfanning days.

Particularly when I see shots of Alco/MLWs (and EMD/GMDs) on container trains, they seem timeless. Because CP was slow to raise clearances for double-stacks, MLWs lasted so long, and the corporate image didn't change much, a CP container train in the early 90s looked much as it did 10 or even 20 years earlier.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
Hello Everyone---I found a few more shots of some "imports"---hope you enjoy

[Image: 1209013.jpg]

[Image: 1209015.jpg]

[Image: 1209012-1.jpg]