Tour Ship
Now that the hull is painted white, this is beginning to look a little like "Diana".

The view of the interior shows the tables in place in the lounge/diner. I may model the pantry interior, and leave the "weather" door open.

The cabins aft, in this shot, will probably be left not furnished, with the possible exception of the furthest aft one. There's a picture of that one's interior. Wink Big Grin

I think, from this point on, the "Tour Ship" will be referred to as the "Letty D ", and I'll proceed to detail her accordingly.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Built and installed all but one of the tables in the diner/lounge area. These shots are one of the tables, with some spare change for size comparison.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
The Hull, and the "shelter deck", are in primer, and a few patches of putty. I'll post photos when the final coat of paint is on.
Once this is done, I can start installing the deck details, the remainder of the interior details, and attach the "Bridge Deck".

Pete you are right!
It is nice to see the cruise ship will become a more and more 1:87 replica of the real thing.

[Image: dsc05203e5q13.jpg]
So the tables will look if fully prepared for captain's dinner.

[Image: dsc05149yaqe3.jpg]
A additional photo of the bow. Here you see the inflatable life raft in its container.
The pile of wood are spare fenders. Some of them were cracked like nutshells during lock maneuvering. Those fenders are made out of birch trees.

And that is to show how exact Pete's has done his work Thumbsup :
[Image: dsc05060jpp2f.jpg]
An other interesting detail i remember (sorry no photo), the round skylight in the ceiling has it's appearing 0n the bridge deck in form of an round glass table with deck chairs grouped around.
On top if the table there was an round glass plate, ready for putting glasses and bottles on it received at the bar. Beneath the top plate was a round glass window acting as adjustable skylight.

[Image: dsc05058wfyih.jpg]

Lutz
Wow, that is some amazing workmanship there. Like the interior attention to detail Thumbsup
Schraddel Wrote:It is nice to see the cruise ship will become a more and more 1:87 replica of the real thing.
An other interesting detail i remember (sorry no photo), the round skylight in the ceiling has it's appearing 0n the bridge deck in form of an round glass table with deck chairs grouped around.
On top if the table there was an round glass plate, ready for putting glasses and bottles on it received at the bar. Beneath the top plate was a round glass window acting as adjustable skylight. Lutz

??? That's a detail I just have to model !! So, questions .......
If the table top was a round glass "plate", what kind of "legs" did it sit on? " in form of an round glass table with deck chairs grouped around ". was this like a glass "tube", or a circular support made up of individual glass panes?, or was the table top, the only glass? ( set on a steel "tube" welded on the deck? ) How high off the deck was the table top ( round glass plate ), I'm guessing 0.61M, give or take a couple of CM.
I still have interior details to build, before I glue the "bridge deck / 01 level deck" in place. while it is still detached would be the best time to build the skylight, and install it. Amount of time???, well, there are a "ton" of chairs to go around the tables, window frames, curtains and drapes, and whatever else comes to mind that I am capable of modeling in 1:87 scale.

Lutz, this project wouldn't be going on, if you hadn't been so helpful in providing photos, and details. Let me take this opportunity to thank you once again for your help.
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Pete!

The round skylight consists out of a cake shape structure. There are 6 (or 8?) small glass plates in a cake piece form wich sits in frame making a full circle.
In the middle there is a spindle and at the lower end oft it a hand wheel. With this wheel the skylight is moved up and down from the dining room.
On the photo you can see the inner side of an sill. This sill raises on the bridge deck about 20cm high ant atop of in is the skylight.
There are then 6 legs around the sill, about 60cm high (you are right with the height). The legs bear a ring and on this ring thee are the bearing for the table glass plate. Legs and ring are polished brass.

[Image: dsc05052ssxa7.jpg]
Here another photo to show the deck chairs. Here a day before the journey when clear ship was done.
The chairs are made out of wicker and are armchairs. In the storage room beneath the funnel there are pillows and blankets for the arm chairs to made them more comfortable.
The ships behind Diana are belonging to the naval museum of Gothenburgh.

Lutz
" Schraddel " wrote:
"Pete!
The round skylight consists out of a cake shape structure. There are 6 (or 8?) small glass plates in a cake piece form wich sits in frame making a full circle."

Is this a flat structure, or is it a cone shape? I have seen the cone shaped skylights before.
"In the middle there is a spindle and at the lower end oft it a hand wheel. With this wheel the skylight is moved up and down from the dining room."
If cone shape, do each of the "cakepiece " sections open on hinges? or if a flat structure, does the whole thing, lift vertically?
"On the photo you can see the inner side of an sill. This sill raises on the bridge deck about 20cm high ant atop of in is the skylight.
There are then 6 legs around the sill, about 60cm high (you are right with the height). The legs bear a ring and on this ring thee are the bearing for the table glass plate. Legs and ring are polished brass."

60cm ! Wallbang Wallbang I missed by one centimeter Eek 357 357 357 My brain may be "going" with age, but the eye still has it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
357 357 probably the hardest thing to model will be all the polished brass !! Eek Big Grin Big Grin
OH! - - I'm guessing the diameter of the skylight is close to 92cm. Wink
Pete!
It is cone shaped, the exact diameter i do not know, may be "pi x thump" so else or what ever this is... Icon_lol
The opening procedure was simple, One of the stewards turned the wheel and screwed the complete skylight up so the opening enlarges.
It was like lifting a hat vertically.
There must be a guiding device for the skylight, but never took a closer look to it, sorry.
The most time the skylight was full wide open, about 15cm above the sill because there was Hot Swedish Summer weather.
In the meaning the temperatures were above 20°C Cheers Cheers
Big Grin Big Grin Cone shape it is, and full open is 15cm above the sill. I guess I'll model it open.
I think I made the right choice, not trying to build this as an exact scale model of "Diana". It will be, after all, 'her' "American cousin". Goldth
I also have to remember, she isn't designed for "Ocean voyages". The closest the "Letty D", will come to the Atlantic, will be Great Island Sound. The rest of the time She'll be on the Lower Kennequogue River, or at the seaport village, and museum.
Schraddel Wrote:A additional photo of the bow. Here you see the inflatable life raft in its container.
The pile of wood are spare fenders. Some of them were cracked like nutshells during lock maneuvering. Those fenders are made out of birch trees. Lutz

"Fenders" . . . It amazes me, sometimes, to think just how many people don't know that, that is what they are called !
and it comes from the term to " fend off " . Smile
In this photo, are eight of the twenty-seven wood doors, that have to be built and installed. Each of the doors is built up with 12 separate pieces of 0.020" X 0.035" strip basswood. ( 0.012" X 0.040" would have been better, but the .020 X.035 was just a little "stronger", and, therefore, better for my old fingers to work with.)

The white styrene " assembly " above the doors, is the Cutting Jig, for the lumber. There are three pieces of styrene, that run horizontally, and end at the vertical line, just to the right of center. These are the "guides" for the Xacto Chisel blade I used to "chop" the pieces. The styrene pieces glued above , and/or, below the horizontal ones, determine the length that the wood pieces are cut to.
In this photo, a better view of the assembly jig, used to put the doors together.    
The door, side and top/bottom rails are assembled first. Top rail, and left side rail, then the small rectangle of styrene, with the "tab" on it is used to set the side rails parallel, before the bottom rail is glued on.
The panel, seven "boards" ( trimmed to exact width, is then glued in between the side rails, above the bottom rail.
Lastly the bottom of the "window frame" is glued in, to finish the door assembly. It does go quickly enough - - - cutting all the pieces "takes forever" :o
I have learned, that wood glue doesn't adhere to styrene all that well, so the assembled parts can be safely removed from the jig, with just a little care.
The assembly jig is taped down to a small piece of Vinyl-Asbestos floor tile, which also doesn't "hang on" to wood glue.
Seven of these doors will finish off all the doors on the "Shelter Deck", and leave one for the "Bridge Deck", so I have 14 more to build to finish out the "Bridge Deck". The wood doors are a "tight fit" in the door openings, and are secured in place with ACC, applied from the inside of the door.
Glass will be attached to the inside of the door,- - - -And - - - - - then the windows, with curtains, shades, etc., before the overhead decks are glued in place.
Those 12 light interior doors, are going to be a real "task" to get right......I may "cheat" a little on the size of each "light", or maybe make them nine light doors instead. Wink
That's what I call dedication and attention to detail Eek That's going to one seriously impressive boat when you've finished Worship

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Kev1340 Wrote:That's what I call dedication and attention to detail Eek That's going to one seriously impressive boat when you've finished Worship Cheers, Kev

Smile "dedication and attention" - - - well, this is a slight departure from the norm.........oh, wait a minute, I did build a StarFleet Battleship........so much for "the norm". :o 357

Seriously though, this is a different kind of project, and I am having quite a bit of real fun researching, asking Lutz all kinds of questions, and putting it all together in this "tour ship".
Besides, I do have a scale 5.5 acres of harbor ' water area ' to display it in. This also gives ms a chance to try new techniques, work with some new materials, and play with some construction methods, I haven't used before.

' A day where nothing is learned, is a day not lived '

A little friendly encouragement helps a lot. Thank Kev, and all the others following this build for that encouragement.
Pete
Keep 'er goin', Pete. This thread is a real pleasure to follow. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Starboard side view. While not visible, I got the Hawsepipe installed in the fo'c's'l, for the anchor chain, and the anchor windlass is set in place. I still need to figure out how I will attach a motor to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

In this slightly higher elevetion, between the Bridge deck cabins, and the storage area at the funnel, you can see the sill, of the skylight. This needs to be finished to correct height, and permanently fixed in place.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the forward starboard corner, in one of the prototype photos, there is a bookcase, under the forward windows, and what appears to be a single seat ( inboard ) and a double seat ( Outboard ), bench / chair. Those details have been added, and the tables have red globe vases for centerpieces. Those will get some kind of flowers, greens, or whatever.
----------------------------------------------------------------

This port side view is one of the most commonly available shots of the real "Diana". Just about all the "Shelter deck" doors are now in place.
It won't be too long now, before the fun of cutting, fitting, and soldering the railings begins....( oh goodie, I can't wait - - - - - - - - riiight ) Icon_twisted 357 Wink
Pete,

Have been following along also, I really admire your modeling expertise and how you are able to convey the entire look of the boat from forward to aft. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Bruce