Current HO loco projects
She ain't pretty ,but she's my current project.Since this is for the most part a flatlands loco it was decided to remove the dynamic brakes.I decided to do it in what I call Conrail style because I like the way it looks.I first saw this done on a freshly outshopped GP-9 in the Chicago area.It ammounts to removing the fan(s) and plating over the holes ,gutting out the dynamic blister then plating over the grilles and (in the case of the one I saw in Chi-town) metal finishing the entire brake blister.It's a little hard to tell they have been smoothed over but one the loco is painted it will be very ovious. :mrgreen:

[Image: sd-9-b.jpg]

Other mods (done in 1997) are the chopped short hood and the RPP SD45 cab.I dom have flush fitting windows for the cab .One thing I have not decided yet is where to put the headlights.The least amount of troble would most likely be the low hood.I may eventually use Smokey Valley stantions for the railings ,but for the time being this is to be a low buck build. At this point I have $4.00 invested.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Interesting projects Catt.
Your most recent project reminds me of a project I need to finish. 35
Nice work. Thumbsup
Ray Marinaccio
$4.00 ?
Boy you rich people that can throw money at every project that comes along really tick me off!!!!! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Mke, nice to see your sense of humor is on track. Eek Nope :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

John,What's that going to be a SD9R or SD18?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I was thinking about doing a Montana Rail Link SD19 then remembered I would have to mill the fuel tanks (s) down enough to put a short GP38-2 tank on it .So I think I will go with the SD9R. (less work don'tcha know) If I could find the correct Cat Power decals it would be a SD20C.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

About the U28-B.Finally got the decoder issues straightened out (2 decoders later).Then I find out I have a split gear on the front truck.I replace the gear with no improvement,find out there is a split gear in the rear truck.

Athearn to the rescue They finally got some new nickel silver wheel sets in so I replaced all 4 axles assemblys with brand new parts (8 wheels,8 brass bearing blocks ,and 4 new axle gears). She now runs very smooth and VERY quiet. :mrgreen:

I just got more detail parts and will post pics when they are installed. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Another project on the list.This one and the SD45 behind it are projects I work on while the paint or glue dries on the whichever project of the moment.I bought this SD40-2 in 1984 right after Athearn put them on the market.This is the forth time around (the 45 is on it's second) for the 40-2 and probaly the last time (maybe).Other than a fresh paint job it will get DCC LED lighting including ditchlights,Celicon handrails,and flush fitting glass.Already has nickel silver wheels in the outer positions.

[Image: sd40-2-7.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Just joined this group and thought I'd share my latest locomotive project. I got an old Tyco Alco C430 from my dad, he had it given to him and he gave it to me to see what I could do with it. Don't laugh, lol, took the motor out and going to use it as a dummy. Actually once you get the paint stripped off it's not to bad on the detail engraving. It's going to painted in Susquehanna colors. I'll get some more pics up soon.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to Big Blue and thanks for posting a photo of that little beauty!
Reinhard
A couple update pics for the SD40-2.I got the celicon handrails installed.I would say it was well worth the $6.95 price tag.Ihad not noticed till I posted the pics ,but the couplers are angleing down.It is a easy fix though as there is a lip on the top of the coupler box that needs to be removed.Probaly should put a brake wheel on it too. :mrgreen:

[Image: sd40-2-8.jpg]

[Image: sd40-2-9.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

John,That SD looks good.

What glue are you using on the handrails?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
My C430 taking shape. I've drilled the holes for the grab irons, added new headlights from Details West and new horns from Detail Associates along with a sinclair antenna from Juneco. I've also filled in the huge gap in the pilots and going to body mount the couplers. The shell has been stripped in Castrol Super Clean, primed, and the yellow painted on. As there is no specific paint for the Susquehanna, it's a case of best guess. I've chosen Scalecoat's EL yellow. Hoping to mask and paint the black on today. Sorry about the fuzzy pictures, I'm going to check the camera and see if i can get the next photos a bit sharper.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another el cheapo project. This is an old AHM GP18 I had given to me. Again the driveline has been removed and the body looks pretty good. Gave shell a bath in super clean, added grab irons, lift rings, headlights, over nose bell, and horn. Painted so far with Scalecoat GTW blue, the red/orange going on today then a set of Herald King GTW decals. Then to tackle to frame and those handrails.

Attached Files Image(s)

Catt Wrote:A couple update pics for the SD40-2.I got the celicon handrails installed.I would say it was well worth the $6.95 price tag.Ihad not noticed till I posted the pics ,but the couplers are angleing down.It is a easy fix though as there is a lip on the top of the coupler box that needs to be removed.Probaly should put a brake wheel on it too. :mrgreen:

[Image: sd40-2-8.jpg]

[Image: sd40-2-9.jpg]

Looks good. Nice job.