Old Structures
Charlie B Wrote:Thanks MountainMan, Those are great pictures.
The old west could provide some very interesting buildings, and combinations of businesses. Most everyone knows about the combination of the barber as a dentist, but many other providers were in multiple lines too. It was possible to sell hardware and be an undertaker.
I'll bet you know a few of the odd combinations that existed. I guess with a small population a lot of folks did double duties.
Charlie

Makes perfect sense when you think abut it. Barbers, after all, started out long ago as surgeons, hence the red and white stripes. An awful lot of the small mining towns were supported by a few business folk who did double duty, such as a drygoods store that doubled as the post office. Made sense because it was one of the only places for non-drinkers to hang out.

BTW - Lowell Thomas, the world renowned news personality, was from Victor, Colorado, where two of those phots came from.

The very decrepit looking Post Office in Elmo is still in service and lived in. Elmo is one of the best preserved ghost towns in the West, and is open in the summer for walking tours. The rest of the year, you can't really get there anyway.
moutainman is that a photo of fourth street in victor if so when was it taken ?
Jim
Have you been to the Library of Congress Libray site yet???

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html">http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html</a><!-- m -->

Click there - then in the upper right corner "Search" put the following (one line at a time Big Grin Big Grin
WARNING: It's addictive, one night I spent 5 hours getting "lost" in our history Big Grin

old west town
railroad
steam engine
historical building
mines
mine workers
railroad worker

Have fun!!!!!!! Let me know what you think!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
These are the old Standard Oil Co buildings in Negley, Ohio
The wooden one at one time served as a bunk house for the Itialian workers that laid the bricks for the other buildings.
Later years it served as a parts department for the Youngstown and Southern Railroad.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

What purpose did the brick buildings serve? Any more pictures of them?
The first brick building that is visible was a machine shop which function was the same for the railroad. The other building was used for a locomotive shop, complete with a pit and drop table. While it was Standard Oil property the shop was a pump house. They pumped 30, 000 barrels of oil a day from wells in the surrounding area. Here is one of the one they are using for a locomotive shop.
I didn't realize that I don't have any other photos. I'll have to get some while I can.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

The first picture was taken May 17, 1981, the second one April 4, 2009. The same little building, (sand house) just different angles.
The railroad suffered from years of neglect. The fellow that is GM now has worked for 25 years saving the railroad from several different owners that wanted to destroy it. It looks to be safe now and the new owners/operator are gaining new business.

Attached Files Image(s)

great pics charlie Thumbsup ,its such a shame to see shortlines in such disrepair.at some point i want to get down to the chemical/plastics plant on the river and get some pics of there switcher.it looks to be an older SW series.and the only one left around here...--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
A few years ago, when we went to Iowa, I spoted some old locos on a side track off what used to be the Rock Island Lines. The locos were in a sad state of repair. They were primered white, and the letters ICE were drawn on with what looked like magic markers. We learned they belonged to ICE railroad, and were waiting to be repainted. Well, you should see them. now! ICE= Iowa Chicago Enterprise. Long live the shortlines!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Neat pictures there.

Here's one of a farmhouse my wife and I were taking. We plan to return this weekend to get some measurements so I can model it and the barn on the property. This appeared to have been recently abandoned and is in pretty good shape.

There are more including that of the barn. On the barn '1887' was cut into the boards. This should be a neat addition to the layout I am building.

Attached Files Image(s)

This is now a store that sells used tools, but it was a bank in the beggining. It is located it Beaver Falls, Pa.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Here are a few photos of what's left of the Cockshutt Plow Company works, in Brantford, Ontario:

[Image: picturesfromBrantford001-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford005-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford007-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford012-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford010-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford009-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford006-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford008-1.jpg]

[Image: picturesfromBrantford014-1.jpg]

Wayne
Here are a couple pictures of structures built around the tracks. These are in the downtown area of East Liverpool, Ohio. The service past these buildings was discontinued in the early 60's, but the building behind the truck trailer got carloads of tires in the 70's.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

I love those buildings with the funny angles. In another 50 years (assuming they are still standing) people will really wonder why someone built a triangular building when there was obviously Wink lots of available space!

Andrew
Good to see this thread back in action.

Unfortunately, I really have nothing to contribute, other than bridge pictures from an abandoned race track not far from here. Meadowdale International Raceway, now known as Raceway Woods
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->