Ngauger's 2013 Duff Challenge
Now... I have to have something solid to attach all that wood to, when I build the sides and front & back. so, I need a "base", or in this case, a belt Smile... There is a small section that forms a lip on the back of the engine, so it's time for another drawing:
Note the shaded area is what we want to keep.....    
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Just a few minutes with the jig saw and we have the wood, cut and placed on the frame of the engine. Since it's tight and also supported on the cow catcher and the lip in the rear, it's fine..... also, note that it's now 14" long not 12 as in the drawing.... Another re-design on the fly Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Here are 2 shots of the side detail and the detail of the drawings......

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Were you planning on planing that base down some? It looks a little on the thick side Mikey.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Were you planning on planing that base down some? It looks a little on the thick side Mikey.
Nope... The base will be totally hidden by the wood "Skirt". The section behind the drivers is where the motor is, so I can't do anything there anyway Sad Sad... The coupling "nub" in the rear (Left in picture) will most likely be altered (or hidden) too.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

one more thing I have to decide eventually:

The wires are still there for the "Chug-Chug" sound (black & red wires).. I have to see how the roof turns out and maybe I'll hide the speaker in the roof.... Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Moving right along Mikey! Thumbsup
Thanks for the explanation Mikey. Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Sumpter250 Wrote:Ahh, That explains why my work area becomes so cluttered in such a short time after beginning any new project !!

This took about 10 minutes...... The "Clutter - not the framework Smile Smile See the posts below for that Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Well - time to attach the framing to make any adjustments that ummm.... will have to be made Big Grin

First - We need to measure twice and cut once... The height from the railhead to the top will be 5-1/2". The lowest clearance on the layout is 6".

I needed to build the framing to make sure this is going to look ok and not too short.

Turns out it looks OK for a 1:20.3 layout Smile The cross bar at the top is only a spacer for the sides to keep them vertical while the glue dries. The "cab" is just placed on there for measurments and sizing too.

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Eek Eek It, it, it's become a "hooded figure" !! Eek Eek 357 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Eek Eek It, it, it's become a "hooded figure" !! Eek Eek 357 357 357 357
The hooded claw!!! Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

This picture is sideways, but it shows the engine in the vice, with the wood strips that will make up the skirts Smile Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Skirts are finished, and he verticle supports are in place on one said. The 2 clamps that are above the plywood are holding the first "plank" in place while the glue dries Smile Big Grin Smile Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I remember having one of those when I was a kid. It had a long handle in front to help steer it though and it was painted red. Icon_lol Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD