Sumpter 250's duff challenge
nkp_174 Wrote:That's sure looking fine.
The D&RGW had two different narrow gauge 2-8-8-2s drawn up. One was to be based around using two sets of running gear like the Class 125 locomotives (the K-27s as they were known for their first 20 years), and the other design was new...I can't recall if the second design was also to be OF.
The Tweetsie had a NG 2-8-8-2 proposed as well. I don't recall if they were to be IF or OF.

Hmmmmmmmm..........If I could find another Roundhouse 3' gauge 2-8-0 kit........ Wink
I would be tempted to build an OF 2-8-8-0. It could move a whole lot more containers of scrap Iron/Steel per train than even the 2-6-6-2 could.
357 Imagination is a wonderful thing, "sick" sometimes, but wonderful none the less. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
A ng 2-8-8-0 would be a really interesting project and a cool concept!

Certainly, your OF 2-6-6-0 was a very creative and plausible concept. Your modeling results are worthy of the concept.

I checked Hilton's American NG RR, and found mention (and a folio) of a proposed Tweetsie 2-6-6-2. It didn't say anything regarding IF or OF. He mentioned one of the two D&RGW 2-8-8-2 schemes...with the statement that the D&RGW chose to go with creating the K-37s instead (which is about what I remembered). I know that there are folios out there for the 2-8-8-2s. For the C&S, power, that was discussed in NG to Central City & Silver Plume (a Colorado Rail Annual)...which was almost certainly intended purely for the ICC abandonment hearings.

I found the folios for the D&RGW 2-8-8-2s on my computer. The smaller of the two appears to have been inside frame design, TE=53,400 lb and an engine weight of 125t. The larger one, with the running gear of two K-27s, had a rated TE=75,000 and an engine weight of 188t, considerably more than merely two K-27s. As I recall, the K-28s at a total engine weight of 78t.

So, perhaps, your OF 2-6-6-2 has a TE= 3/4*75,000 ~ 56,000lb? I tend to recall the Uintah Mallets being around 42,000lbs.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
nkp_174 Wrote:So, perhaps, your OF 2-6-6-2 has a TE= 3/4*75,000 ~ 56,000lb? I tend to recall the Uintah Mallets being around 42,000lbs.

The Uintah #50, and #51, became Sumpter Valley Ry #250, and 251. the boilers on these were about 3 feet longer, and about 6" smaller diameter, than my 2-6-6-2. I would expect my OF 2-6-6-2 would be only a little heavier than the Uintah/SVRY locos, with around 44,000- 46,000 lbs. TE.
(( There's another research project: Determining the gross weight, and Tractive effort of this loco. :o I might have to rebuild a bridge or two Eek Eek 357 ))
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Construction is on hold.
Research is on "high priority".
And.....then we have the age old problem:
1- Hobby shops order from Distributors.
2- Distributors order from Manufacturers.
3- Manufacturers offer free shipping to Distributors, when a "specified quantity" order is met.
4. Distributors, list a product "Not in stock, delivery date unknown", until they have enough orders to receive the free
shipping.
5. It's beginning to look like my 2014 " Get Off Your Duff Challenge " will be installing the gearboxes on my 2-6-6-2. Curse

I'll be working toward a painted, lettered, and "run double headed with a loco that has gears, semi finished model", and call this challenge done, when all that is left is "installing the gearboxes", and the universal drive mechanism. Wallbang Wallbang
So sorry to hear that. I don't think that there's an industry on this planet that doesn't adhere to these rules. I can also remember as a manufacturer, being told that the supplier could no longer sell to us because we didn't order in large enough quantities. Eek There are those dealer and distributors that will always find a way to satisfy a customer and will always find a way around the "minimum quantity" requirement and order one item if that's what the customer wants.

Good luck my friend, I feel your pain. Sad
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Bummer ! Curse
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Sumter:
there's an outfit in Australia <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hollywoodfoundry.com/">http://hollywoodfoundry.com/</a><!-- m --> (maybe just one guy) who makes a lot of drive systems. I'm not sure if what you want is there.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I didn't see anything there that would useful for this loco. I will keep them in mind for other projects. I am interested in their belt drive system. Thumbsup
If it "comes down to it", I can build my own gearboxes, but I'm not looking forward to that option.......yet.
Frustrating. There are few things worse than ordering parts that never came in. I had a Grandt Line C&S reefer hardware kit on order for 2 years before I cancelled it and my wife ordered direct from Grandt Line. At one point I learned from Dave Grandt that he had them in stock, but hadn't heard a thing from Walthers about it...

Good luck on getting those gear boxes, as she's a beautiful 2-6-6-2!

You could probably get that AMC rep that was at Lima during the Allegheny weighing...I'm sure he'd report that your engine isn't overweight...although last I heard, he was hired by Lima shortly there after... :mrgreen:
Michael
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
A little progress.
I got the steam supply pipe, and governor for the air compressor installed, and ran the steam exhaust line forward and up behind the stack.

I started forming the air "cooling coil", but I have to decide exactly where to put the expansion tank.

The coil is lying on the mat, just below the main engine cylinder.
I intend on using "Grain-of-rice" 1.5V bulbs, for the headlight, and back-up light. both castings have a white styrene insert, that has been shaped and drilled out, inserted in the casting, and the clear "glass" is in place. The bulbs will be inserted from the back of the lamp casting.
Installed valve stems and wheels, on the turret. Off to the right you can see the back of the Headlight casting, with the hole for the "grain-of-Rice" bulb.

In this side shot, you can see the valves a bit clearer, and you can also see the steam supply line and the governor, for the air compressor.

With the cab on, most of that detail will be difficult to see, :o but I will know it is there Wink Big Grin

Your work continues to be beautiful!
Michael
Cheers Definitely nicely-done. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
High detailed fine work. I'm looking for finished loco - and price-expected in our challenge!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Most excellent Pete! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string