Scorpion Bend - my backyard RR
Steamtrains Wrote:Anybody want to come over and put up one of those choo-choo trains for me...?
I know somebody that will. He's not cheap but he'll definitely get the job done. He's also the same one that's currently trying to break the worlds record for the longest model train... in G scale! Confusedhock: Ricktherailroadguy.com
Don't try this with HO or N...
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=593]

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=592]

It's really rocky stuff but good for filler. I plan on coming back later and adding several inches of good top soil for the plants.
Looks like fun! And that you are doing a good job. Love the progress!
Scott
Was this what you meant when you talked about using REAL DIRT for texture??? Hope you picked up 55 gallon drums of white glue and iso alcohol to stick it all down !! :? Think you've gone round the BEND !!! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
wow,i cant believe i missed this thread.the outdoor G-scale layouts are so cool. you should try out some live steam also. its a whole new experience even with something as simple as an accucraft ruby. cant wait to see more!--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Really awesome, I love it! I want one!!!! LOL! Thanks for all the pics, please keep updating this thread 2285_
That's about the coolest thing since sliced bread!!

If my wife sees me looking at this she will kick my as...I was saying, that is too cool. I want one now.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Updates???
-Dave
Was gonna ask the same thing.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Not much has happened since I brought in that last load of dirt. Up on the far end, I've been trying to kill off the grass so that when I start dumping in all the fill, it doesn't grow up thru and take over. Several bottles of poision later and the darn stuff is still growing. I have since then, covered that whole end with black plastic and am waiting to make sure that did the trick while also still attacking some problem areas around the edges. Something tells me that I'm never going to be totally rid of the problem...
Nobody but a garden railroader would complain about grass GROWING in Arizona ! Talk about a green (just typed "Gern" by mistake) thumb ! You da MAN. Waiting with baited breath (sardines) for another progress report. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
TrainNut Wrote:Not much has happened since I brought in that last load of dirt. Up on the far end, I've been trying to kill off the grass so that when I start dumping in all the fill, it doesn't grow up thru and take over. Several bottles of poision later and the darn stuff is still growing. I have since then, covered that whole end with black plastic and am waiting to make sure that did the trick while also still attacking some problem areas around the edges. Something tells me that I'm never going to be totally rid of the problem...

Bermuda grass is unkillable. Well, practically.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
TrainNut that outdoor layout looks good so far. Can't wait to see more of it. Cheers
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
Well, it was a long hot summer and I've managed to kill all the grass and managed not to kill the tree despite cutting some of the roots for the 4x4's. Buuuuuutttttt... I've been stalling on on this layout for quite some time... in fact, most of the summer... but for a good reason.
Good news, bad news, and then some even better news...
The good news is that the tree has been doing great despite my unintentional efforts to kill it off!
The bad news is that the whole layout has been demolished and removed and the tree is being removed tomorrow as well.
Why you say? Because, ... ...
The even better news is ...the Scorpion Bend is having a rather large logging pond installed which will totally disrupt the old Scorpion Bend.
[Image: image.php?album_id=98&image_id=1488]
Never fear as management has already given approval to explore track planning options around the edge of the new pond!
Next summer should be a bit more bearable!
Aww neat!! That'll be great once it's done Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???