CNJ I-4 and I-5 Consolidation camelbacks
BR60103 Wrote:A couple of questions (from someone who has only seen a camelback in a museum)
How did the engineer and fireman communicate?
What was in the other side of the cab? Surely they didn't put it on for symmetry.

The other side of the cab was still the Fireman's side. He could ride there when not shoveling coal. As for communication, I have wondered that myself. Being in the cab together on a regular hog has the benefits of having regular company for conversation, redundancy in operation and signal recognition, and knowing where your crewmembers are at all times. I would be very uncomfortable running a locomotive having a fireman back there (2 firemen in some cases, those fireboxes were huge) and not being able to see him and what was going on.

Dave
-Dave
The "other" side of the cab was used by the head end brakeman on long freight hauls, It had a means of applying the brakes in case of an emergency. As for communications I can only speak for the CNJ on that one. They used a small whistle that was mounted in each cab to get the attention of the other person, and all cab signals were displayed in both the fireman's and engineers locations. I would assume that other railroads used something similar.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
here is the CNJ I5 camelback completed

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
Looks, GOOD !! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
What more can I say !?
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Very nicely done! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Here are the 2 CNJ camelback 2-8-0-locomotives completed, side by side awaiting assignment.
frank

More photos of the two CNJ consolidations. I4 and I5 class. The I4 is distinguished by having no dome forward of the cab. Also the compressor is behind the cab on the firemen's side.

frank

Great work, Frank!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.