Watch your alcohol consume
Two KATO ATSF GP35 modified into BNSF GP35U got weathered last night. I used a black wash with lots of alcohol for easier brush on. Works great until it has dried up. The engines became an ugly white to light gray layer. It was far too much alcohol for the kind of paint KATO uses.
Good news is that it can be recovered easy with a layer of dull coat from the rattle can otherwise the engines would be ruined!

[Image: file_zps46804245.jpg]
[Image: file_zpse38c3701.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard, it is possible what happened was "blushing" of the coat you applied rather than damage to the paint underneath. (Not saying this for sure). Blushing of paint can happen when there is lots of moisture in the air and the coating dries too fast trapping moisture in the finish making it foggy. We used a retarder to slow the drying in lacquer finishes for automobiles to help prevent this when we couldn't wait for better conditions.
I have had that happen with Floquil paints too.

Charlie
This is a common occurence when using alcohol over some type of paint. If you brush alcohol over dullcoat, you get the same result. AS you find out, dullcoating it again erase the white layer. I often saw people using this reaction to get some weathering pattern. However, it is hard to control...

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Cheers
I use alcohol ( Isopropyl 91% ) to clean the pad on my HOn3 track cleaner ( Crowds of people, at shows, walking on concrete floors, create lots of "dust", I have to keep the narrow gauge track extra clean ).
Isoproply alcohol, will cause dullcoat to turn "white" :o :o :o
It's easier to be careful cleaning the pad, than it is to "re-dullcoat" Wink :oops: :oops: :oops: lesson learned.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hi all !
Revitalizing an old thread:

Reinhard, you dindn't tell us what alcohol you used, i.e. which concentration?

Some time ago I wanted to clean a loco before applying acrylics. I used 99% isopropyl alcohol and was immdiately "rewarded" with a visible loss of paint. Fortunately I stopped it quickly so that I can say "it's just somewhat bleached by the sun". Big Grin
From this on I never used pure alcohol again, I always dilute it down to at least 70%, better I use 40% stuff. This applies also for denatured alcohol (German: Spiritus), since this too is quite a concentrated fluid.

In general I am very careful when cleaning rolling stock - one can discover curious things...
However, when it comes to clean rails I do not hesitate to use rather hefty fluids: acetone, SR24 etc.

Regards
Armin
A lot of the SF trackage is thru the desert so the "weathering" looks pretty much " very dusty" spot on.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Armin, I have no idea what I used on 27 Apr 2013. But it must have been an awful time. I was not retired ...... :o
Reinhard