EZ's 2013 adoption challenge
Sumpter250 Wrote:ezdays wrote: " I’d have probably close to 2,000 scale feet to chain link fence to build."
Don Icon_twisted Icon_twisted That's only Twelve Feet, Six Inches of Nscale chain link fence. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

In Horribly Oversised scale that would be Twentythree Feet !!!! The hard part is finding a Tulle with a fine enough weave, as to produce a chain link that would look good in N scale.
Put it another way, that 126 inches of fence. At about an inch a day, that comes close to six months to build.....

I do have a roll of tulle "shimmer" that would work in N scale. It has a tight enough crisscross, and has a light gray glisten to it so I wouldn't even have to paint it. Not only that, but it is 25 yards long so I wouldn't even have any seams. What's the problem you say? Trying to cut a 3/4" strip that is twelve feet, six inches long that stays consistently wide. :cry: I've tried several things and I'm not out of ideas yet so there is still a chance I can do it. If not, the RR security force can keep things under control. Wink
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don there is a company that makes excellent chain link with barb wire on top. I will try to find the info and post a pic of it from my layout tomorrow, too tired tonight. I just had to hike up my driveway (1/4 mile long and climbs about 200 feet in elevation) in an ice storm. My one lung with COPD is telling me to go to bed! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Don there is a company that makes excellent chain link with barb wire on top. I will try to find the info and post a pic of it from my layout tomorrow, too tired tonight. I just had to hike up my driveway (1/4 mile long and climbs about 200 feet in elevation) in an ice storm. My one lung with COPD is telling me to go to bed! Icon_lol

Thank you kind sir, I hadn't thought of getting ready-made fencing. Although I have the tulle, all I have is visions of trying to cut it straight and then making a good 12' of polls and stringers out of wire. Adding barbed wire was going to be yet another challenge. Besides, the tulle is so fragile that any LPB with a pair of sharp scissors could easily cut through it. 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
In the 2013 Walthers catalog on page 415 is Gold Medal Models. Part #304-1601 is with gates and part # 304-1602 is without gates. Either way you get 240 scale feet. It is stainless steel so if you hit it with some dull-cote your are done. And they practically give it away at $18.00 Misngth . If you go to Trainmasters.com they had it for $14.95. Tex-n-Rails might be another good choice to save a buck. It should be good enough to keep your gringo LBP's from escaping to Mexico! Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:In the 2013 Walthers catalog on page 415 is Gold Medal Models. Part #304-1601 is with gates and part # 304-1602 is without gates. Either way you get 240 scale feet. It is stainless steel so if you hit it with some dull-cote your are done. And they practically give it away at $18.00 Misngth . If you go to Trainmasters.com they had it for $14.95. Tex-n-Rails might be another good choice to save a buck. It should be good enough to keep your gringo LBP's from escaping to Mexico! Icon_lol

Thank you again my friend, great solution. I'm looking at a something that will cost under $100, that would take days, nay, weeks for me to do my way. 2285_

I'll look around now that I know what to look for, but definitely look to save a buck (or four) if I can. Thumbsup

And you're right. While most of the world wants to sneak in under the fence, my LPB's try to get out. I think it's because I haven't fed them in a while.... Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Yeah Don feeding them would help. Wouldn't hurt to pay them either. Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Yeah Don feeding them would help. Wouldn't hurt to pay them either. Icon_lol

Oh come on, I've been paying them minimum wages for years now Wink ..... Uh, you do know that in my world, we are not bound by federal law and have no local government to make laws, so, on my layout the minimum wages are still zero. :o I do provide them a place to relax and sleep though, at no extra charge and occasionally I find that someone has taken a nibble out of a sandwich that I've left on my workbench. Goldth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Wow, I had no idea you were spoiling them like that! Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Wow, I had no idea you were spoiling them like that! Icon_lol

No LPB has it better, Nope even though their living quarters are communal. As you can see in the photo, I've even provided them with some recreation as noted by the see-saw in the lower corner. 2285_ And, just to show you that I'm not heartless, I've even provided a place for their pets and other assorted animals.

BTW, I checked out some of the ready-made fencing, great idea, I'm not sure I can scratchbuild something that would look as good, but I do have one other thing in mind before I decide. I'd feel defeated if I didn't at least try first. Besides, scratchbuilding is not only more rewarding, but it's a lot cheaper too... Big Grin

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Besides, scratchbuilding is not only more rewarding, but it's a lot cheaper too... Big Grin

Cheers

2285_ Thumbsup Big Grin I knew we had something in common !! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I agree that it can be more rewarding and cheaper but I pretty much suck at it so if I can't bash it then I look for a commercial product at a reasonable price.
Mike

looking good Don. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I agree that it can be more rewarding and cheaper but I pretty much suck at it so if I can't bash it then I look for a commercial product at a reasonable price.

You are right, scratchbuilding something like this can be very labor intensive and not turn out nearly as good as ready-made.

e-paw Wrote:looking good Don. Cheers

Thanks, you know after one spends a lot of time building something, you kind of get tired of seeing it and it doesn't look no where as good as it looks to someone else. At least, that's what I hope is happening. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
There's an old saying ( no, Wink not an "old" person " :o saying something" 357 )
"Familiarity breeds contempt"
By the time you're finished with a model, you have become too familiar with it, and it doesn't look as good as you first thought.
The fourth or fifth glance, picks out all the defects, or creates the question; why did I do it that way?
"We always learn more................................................"
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!