Vacuum Cleaner is away - Building a G scale Oval
I have to clean the ROW for the new loop under the layout.....

First; Here is an old picture of the layout showing the swing bridge. The arrow shows the support 2x4's that form the hinge for the bridge to swing out.

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
You see all that junk under the layout.. it's ALL gone!!!!! 2285_

In it's place (yes, there's still a lot of dirt) is the beginnings of another 7'-1/2 ft deep X 4-1/2 ft wide loop Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The trolley is going by the support for the bridge. Notice the vary narrow clearance...... Eek

Well........ A few cuts with the jig saw and we have a bit more clearance:

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

But... You know - I still wasn't quite happy.......

So: I "took off" a bit more Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

NOW - I'm happy!!!!! 2285_

I then cut out some 3/4 wood curves and set them down where the track will be and It actually looks like it might work! Goldth Goldth

I have the front laid out, now comes the fun of crawling around under the layout. Cleaning (vacuuming) and placing the wood roadbed, after I paint it gray (stone ballast gray).

But soon, the MF&W will have FOUR levels of 1:20.3, G scale trains!!!!! Smile Eek

The red box is a Christmas Tree foot switch for lights. I have it controlling a switch stand I'll have in the center of the new loop - lighting the train as it goes around under the layout.
The wiring all has to be supported out of the way, so i have to devise a devilish plan for that too..... Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I can't let my wife see your layout; I have enough trouble with a level of G and a level of O/OnHO.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
After cutting away the supports did you develop any sagging or misalignment problems with your bridge?
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:After cutting away the supports did you develop any sagging or misalignment problems with your bridge?
Nope:

All the weight is born by the 2 3-1/2" door hinges. I cut below the hinges, which is why I was able to do it.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

BR60103 Wrote:I can't let my wife see your layout; I have enough trouble with a level of G and a level of O/OnHO.

LOL - Yup - I know what you mean.. Smile That's the good part of having the trains in the basement. She doesn't mind what I do "down there".. Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:
BR60103 Wrote:I can't let my wife see your layout; I have enough trouble with a level of G and a level of O/OnHO.

LOL - Yup - I know what you mean.. Smile That's the good part of having the trains in the basement. She doesn't mind what I do "down there".. Smile

but the G and the O are hers ....
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:but the G and the O are hers ....

LOL I forgot that!!! Smile Smile Just do what my wife does... "Tolerate it" Goldth Goldth

I have no more horizontal expansion room left, so I have to create more vertical space Eek Goldth Goldth

No pictures, yet, but I have all the wood "roadbed" painted "Stone gray". The road bed is made from 1 X 6's and curves cut out of 1 X 12's. Now it's just a matter of measuring and cutting to make the oval.

This is the worst part, crawling around under there assembling the tracks in order to take the measurements, so I can cut the straight lengths of wood to join the wooden corners (curved track) together.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Allways neat to see your layout, proof that bigger gauges can fit indoors with a bit of imagination and engineering. Thumbsup
AF350 Wrote:Allways neat to see your layout, proof that bigger gauges can fit indoors with a bit of imagination and engineering. Thumbsup
Goldth Goldth Thanks!! but believe me, it's a bit of imagination and some serious engineering Icon_lol I'm assembling the components now.. Pics tonight!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

For those of you that haven't been here long. I'll be 55 this October and have been building layouts of all scales since 1982. From a Z gauge briefcase layout through an N gauge 14 X 16 , to an HO 12 X 8. My present "G" scale layout now has 4 levels.

The top - a PRR "special" train consisting of a U-25B (Leased from the NARA) pulling various Pennsylvania RR cars including a Quaker State Tanker and a PRR Bobber Cabin decorated for the Big Blue Railroad.

The second level is the 1:20.3 Climax and it's pulling 7 hand made small wooden cars.

The Third level is actually the layout structure, it's a PRR Eggliner engine pulling various cars, all hand made or detailed and weathered.

The bottom level - the new one - sits on the floor underneath the layout. That is the pictures that are in this thread. It's my 16th separate layout. My 5th of this sort of "track on 1x6" construction Smile Smile

Total time to build (I designed it on the fly) was under 10 hours. If I had help, it would have been under Five!!!!! The only thing left is building the controller, and hooking up all the wiring... About another 2 hours work.

So, after seeing the pics above..... Here are a few more showing the painted wood and where they are going to fit in:

The 1 X 6 and the curved wood are all painted with "stone" spray paint. It's available at most craft stores. If not - it can be found at a ceramic store or online.

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

These pictures show what I'm designing. I found a turnout, so of course, i HAD to incorporate it in the design Eek Goldth Goldth Goldth

Years ago, a friend found a prototype switch stand light that I have had under the layout just for show. It will now be used to light the new section...

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75