A second start for my "White Swan" reefers
Bernhard, so you'll keep the "hardware" and replace all the "shafts" with correct ones? That's a lot of work. But I can perfectly understand your standpoint. We know well your precisely built models. Pouring that much efforts in small parts, it's normal to seek some level of perfection.

I know it's too late, but in retrospective, could it have been possible at this scale to print the hardware parts with holes? Or at least pre-drilled...

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Yesterday I started an attempt to change my cast brass door locks - and it was a successful one! Do you see the difference of these both items?

[Image: whiteswan-tuerverriegelung_10k.jpg]

I replaced the shaft by a nickel-silver wire with 0,4 mm diameter (0.016”) or 1 3/8 inch in reality. This is a thick shaft still, however smaller would be a discrepancy to all other details at the door lock mechanism.

I started this attempt after an intensive discussion with Doc Wayne and he encouraged me to follow this idea. So I cannibalized one of surplus brass parts, separated all fixing parts from shaft, drilled them and inserted a new and finer rod. And with a bit solder I received a new and well-fitting door lock.
Thanks to Doc and thanks also to Matt for your reflections because I was also on thoughts to print and cast new hardware parts as single elements. However this would be a very expansive solution again. I think that the follow pictures show that this idea and modifications were the right way.

[Image: whiteswan-tuerverriegelung_12k.jpg]

Here a direct comparison of original brass door lock mechanism (left) and the new one.

[Image: whiteswan-tuerverriegelung_13k.jpg]

I think that this picture shows the improvement better yet. Please compare a very similar picture in one of my last posts.
I was surprised and lucky also that I needed a bit under four hours for rebuilding the first door lock including a small tool for fast clamping the small brass parts for sanding and drilling the holes. I think that is an acceptable working time with a good result so that I will like to start the modification of other nine door locks in next days.
Thanks to all for your helpful discussions and mails.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Bernhard, I think you reached a more than honest compromise. Thumbsup The difference is subtle, but noticeable and I think the most striking improvement is the fact the wire is perfectly smooth while the casting shaft was rough and bumpy. Once painted and the brass shine removed, the difference would be even more visible. 4 hours to build a prototype of this excellent quality sounds more than acceptable. Another side benefit is the detail is also much more prototypical since you use a real shaft that isn't flush with the car siding. That small free space between parts really does the job and looks much more realistic, not like a single brass part glued in place but as an assembly of various hardware. I'm glad you overcame this challenge and will be able to move forward. This idea can be of use to other modellers, even when not tackling down fine scale models like yours.

Will you have enough castings to do al your cars or will have to cast again some hardware part? In the future, just casting the small hinges with predrilled holes could make the assembly faster and more precise.

Matt

Good Grief, you’ve gone and stumped me Bernhard! In my last post I used the word exquisite to describe what you had achieved. I can’t think of a word to surpass exquisite, yet your efforts and hard work put in coming up with the new improved door locks deserve a better description from me. Worship Worship
I just hope you are satisfied.
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Bernhard, you are up high in the sunny sky while I keep modeling in a damp trench Thumbsup
Reinhard
Matt, Bear, Reinhard, thank you very much for your friendly appreciation! Nice to read about your interest and your comments.
I must say, that I had seldom such a pleasure to modify a thing that was "finished" in my eyes. The success was "visible" for me with reworking the first parts because all did work on that manner how I hoped it. I could drill the holes without each problems in these small parts because these shortly cast brass parts were very "softly" and not hard how rolled older brass profiles in many cases. And so I'm sure that I can rework also all other parts on same way. All in all I would like to say that this change will be a great success to me.

@Matt, of course I have enough parts for rebuilding all door locks. I will use them from the original sets and I ordered one set more as an extra part. This was the first one that I rebuilt.
I'm sure also that I will not build exact same door locks for future models, however I dream to build a set such white reefers as pictured here on Shorpy - real white reefers. Remember, my "White Swan" reefers have a red/brown basic color. And these white reefers have very different door locks.
One thing that I never mentioned is really the raw surface on shaft of original locks. Yes, also this was a main reason to rework these parts and this is also the most noticeable change.

@Bear, yes, I'm very satisfied with the parts now and I think that you can read this in my previous lines.

And as last, @Reinhard, please do not hide your light under a bushel! You are an excellent model builder and all the comments on your posts confirm that here in forum. And we should make a model train meeting on next opportunity how I have written in a PM, if I will travel to Stuttgart again.
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The re-worked door latches are a big improvement, Bernhard, and I am not at all surprised that you're making that change. I think to not do so would bother you enough that you would be compelled to later have a third start for these cars, so it's much preferable to make the upgrade now. Beautiful work, as always.

Wayne
Berhnard, thanks for linking the Shorpy picture.A very neat exemple of early 20th century business pride.I can now fully appreciate your addiction to modelling these beautiful piece of rolling stock. It's neat to see "old" new cars not sagging but bulging upward because of rod tension. I didn't know they went that far in the process, just like modern flat bed trailer.

Matt

Wayne, thanks!
And no, this will be one of last steps before painting and finish detailing. It was a lot of work and I would not like to make a third start with these models. Thanks also for your riendly mail.

sailormatlac Wrote:...
It's neat to see "old" new cars not sagging but bulging upward because of rod tension. I didn't know they went that far in the process, just like modern flat bed trailer.
Matt

Matt, I said for a very long time that new wood cars were delivered from the car builder shop with an even frame balanced by the trussrods. I saw a first time by this Shorpy picture that new cars were delivered with frames which were bulging upward and in especially that all cars in absolute identical manner. I was very surprised about this fact and this is the second reason that I would like to build some cars of this type - new white reefers and all bulging upward. This should give a fantastic impression, I think.
Maybe that I will build one basic model only and thereafter I could make copies from resin where I must add some additional detail parts only so that I can receive a lot of absolute identic models on a fast way. However, please do not ask when this project will be begun.
Cheers, Bernd

I've done it!

[Image: whiteswan_070k.jpg]

All door locks are modified and temporarely mounted. It was a nice work with a great result and I'm lucky. I would never have begun this change without the idea and discussion with Doc.
Now the models go to my friend for painting and decaling - without door locks and removed hinges because the sides will be decorated by a very large decal. I hope for good success.
Cheers, Bernd

Friends, what a great enjoy! The first of my White Swan reefers is ready!
And I think the result is excellently! Look the pictures.
This was the first picture of the model which me sent my friend Jörg (Joerg) after he has painted and decaled the model - the first model as an attempt how he ought to realize this very difficult coloring and decaling.

[Image: whiteswan_071kf.jpg]

Some days later I have had this model on my table and there were to add all wall parts again which must be removed before for a smooth decaling - door hinges, door latches and grab irons.

[Image: whiteswan_074k.jpg]

An enlarged and very clear photo where you can see especially my friend's excellent work. The biggest problem was to add the very large decal with all pictures, lettering and colors inside of the red basic color. Now I must add yet the last small parts under the frame - the water and dust collector at the triple valve (a part that breaks off permanently while working on the frame) including the connecting pipe to train line and the two brake hoses on ends of car.
Look here the small part at the triple valve and maybe the only parts which you can see from the side.

[Image: whiteswan_078kcr.jpg]

A last picture on frame from below which you will never seen while a regular model use on a layout.

[Image: whiteswan_080k.jpg]

I'm sure that you can not recognice that the floor planks on underside of the body is only a paper with a printed structure like planks. This was a good meant attempt of my friend (he is a printer with an own printing shop equipped with four or five large printing machines) because I must remove a pre-scripped styrene sheet in order to save a bit of car hight for a good looking coupler pocket. However there was to add a darker mixture of black and grey color onto the printed paper and so you can only to guess the wood structure on underside of body. I think that this is the only thing where I did not get that what I would like to receive but it is not to see while an ordinary use. And so the model satisfied all my wishes and hopes. Enjoy the result with me!

[Image: whiteswan_076kcr.jpg]

[Image: whiteswan_081kcr.jpg]

Can you recognize that the shaft of door latch is mounted with a small distance to the side wall? These latches were absolutely the most difficult parts on the model!
And last my first railroad employee who watches about my work since around ten years.

[Image: whiteswan_082kcr.jpg]

What says his sign about this model?
To remain with the truth, two or three things must be done yet by my friend for a complete finishing. The added brake parts must be painted yet and also the air hoses are to paint. I had hoped for a black finish with my metal blackener solution however the brass parts shine like in new condition. No wonder, the blackener is marked for working on nickel silver and also pure silver, but not for brass.
Ok, so my friend must do the last steps, a bit paint yet and a gently weathering.
And there are to paint and to decal and to finish four more "White Swans" too! Soe some more pictureswill follow yet - in 2017.

If you ask for differences of this model to other reefers ofa the time after 1900 than you ought to see the off-centered door position on these car and that they are 2ft higher than ordinary reefers of that time. I'm sure that I can use this model(s) also in my 1930 train until to the time as billboards on reefers were to remove following new AAR rules and so received a new model for my both modeling eras 1900 (+) and 1930 (+).
Please visit also a gallery on my website - http://us-modelsof1900.de/?p=3479, where you find the whole history of this project and also a sketch of this car of a catalog of Seattle Car and Foundry Co. of year 1913 from where my friend and me found the idea and prototype dates in order to build such models. Another picture shows the same reefer decorated for Carstens Products and I think that we built and painted models with a large conformity to prototypes. My friend and me would be glad if you like our work.
Cheers, Bernd

Outstanding modelling Bernhard Applause Applause Applause
Great modelling Bernhard!!! Worship

Cheers Lutz
Impeccable construction and finishing. Worship You and Jörg make a formidable team. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Nutbar, Lutz, Doc,
thank you very much !
Yes, I love these cars because there were a lot of problems where I begun with too low models because I was oriented to use commercial parts for the door latches. The second start was a better one, however I'm absolutely sure that I would not receive such nice models without my friend Jörg from Leipzig. Therefore, many thanks also to him here in the public!

There are a lot of ideas for future projects yet in my head, however I'm dreaming of these reefers on Shorpy.com - a long line of really white reefers!
A week ago I have meet a modeler from Czechia who sold some resin castings of European freight cars. I have written a mail to him with my idea to build one master model as base for casting of copies, however I did not receive an answer until today, unfortunately. But I will send a second mail yet and hope for an answer. This could be the way for another nice looking series of very exceptioal models - white reefers!
However, before some other projects should be finished!
Cheers, Bernd