Interest in a tour car, or car exchange
http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7004

I posted a response in this topic, what do you all think?
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I PM'd jwb, that we needed to discuss this, and that I would get back to him as soon as we made any decision.
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Mikey and I have been discussing how we were going to handle our next auctions. We still have your N scale anniversary car, I've got an N scale and one HO as well, plus we have one more TA caboose that Mike Goad had donated. We thought we'd start a new auction about one every two weeks through Sept and Oct. I would think that if we did anything, it wouldn't happen until after that, probably not before the end of the year.

My first thought was when seeing this is what would we use as a tour car? Do we create yet another car, or do we ask the general membership to come up with one? As for a car exchange, what is exchanged? Are these personally decorated cars, or just something one has and wants to get rid of? Wink

Just something to think about.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I think he's proposing an exchange of cars from our layouts back and forth, not a tour car. He and Less were into it last year and posted some pics of cars they sent each other if I recall correctly. This would be just be an "interested members" activity, not something we'd be sponsoring or managing.

Here is Les's old thread about doing this....
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5468">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5468</a><!-- l -->

Ralph
It's actually something we don't even have to get involved with at the "Moderator" level.

Any member chooses a car from their layout and another member expresses interest in a temporary (or sometimes peramanant) trade.

The 2 members ship their car to each other. They take pictures and then send the cars back to the owner. Obviously a permanent trade eliminates the return postage.

If another member wishes to join in, they members can plan to trade cars with no. 3 or do a round robin and everyone passes the cars to the left so to speak. That way - every participant gets to have all the other cars on their layout.

So unless a Mod wants to trade, we can just sit and watch. Of course, we could start a thread somewhere setting a few rules, like "Big Blue is in no way responsible for any of these trades. Do so at your own risk" or something like that to exemplify the Staff and Big Blue from any unforeseen occurrence Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
That sounds good! I agree that it might be a good idea to make some sort of statement, even if its in a thread that jwb or Les create to show car movements, that the game is at one's risk and the forum takes no responsibility for rolling stock. It could be fun. I almost got involved last time but procrastinated.
I agree, we would definitely have to have a disclaimer to keep us out of it as far as running the exchanges or taking responsibility when something doesn't go as planned. If we can just moderate the thread to be sure there's no arguments or hard feelings and don't have to resolve any issues, I can see no harm in started something like this. One thing that would be nice to see is some of those that have cars decorated for their railroad and seeing them on another layout.

As for any tours, that will have to take work on our part and after the problems we had with the two anniversary tours (not forwarding the cars, lost waybills, a full year of anxiety), I'm not sure we're ready for that again right now. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:As for any tours, that will have to take work on our part and after the problems we had with the two anniversary tours (not forwarding the cars, lost waybills, a full year of anxiety), I'm not sure we're ready for that again right now. Nope
Thumbsup

jwb's latest response clarified what he was talking about. Yes, a disclaimer would probably be a good thing.
Don:I agree, we would definitely have to have a disclaimer to keep us out of it as far as running the exchanges or taking responsibility when something doesn't go as planned.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely..Let the members know they exchange cars at their own peril.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Don:I agree, we would definitely have to have a disclaimer to keep us out of it as far as running the exchanges or taking responsibility when something doesn't go as planned.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely..Let the members know they exchange cars at their own peril.

...and usually does. We're all aware of the adage, if it can happen, it will happen and at the worst possible time. Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and