HO Scale Lifeboats (and some larger vessels, too)
No idea, but a logical guess......Each "string of cars" is probably set, before loading, and only a limited number of idlers, would be needed, and the engine would not have to even be on the loading ramp. The car Ferry looks big enough that the engine should have no problem boarding or departing.
Then........there are "car" ferries, as in automobiles that could make an interesting scenic addition, given the "location is right".
My last trip East, I took the ferry from Port Jefferson, N.Y. to Bridgeport Conn., across Long Island Sound, on my way home..
Icon_twisted 357 I was just a bit amazed by how many people had trouble walking, while the Ferry was moving !
Then there are the Ferries from Greenport to Shelter Island, N.Y., and from Shelter Island to North Haven. These are small Ferries holding about nine autos.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
There is still an operating Steam ferry on the other side of Michigan. It is a converted rail ferry, now carrying highway traffic. The tracks in the deck are still visible.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ssbadger.com/">http://ssbadger.com/</a><!-- m -->

Your best bet is to plan on building two of them. When you complete the first one and publish it (on the net or in a magazine) all the information you don't have will suddenly be thrust upon you.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
zstripe Wrote:I would be interested, as to how, they would, go about loading and unloading, that ferry.
Gidday Frank, very carefully I reckon. Icon_lol
In The Great Lakes Car Ferries, by George W Hilton there are photos of the St. Ignace and the Ann Arbor No:4, both Lake Car Ferries, the former sunk at the slip and the latter capsized, as a result of incorrect loading of iron ore cars.
The Gentlemen in this link have accumulated alot of good material, pity I didn't pay attention and therefore do well at schoolboy French, but it dos prove that a picture is worth a thousand words.
http://teamtrack.xooit.com/t625-CAR-FERR...-State.htm
Sumpter250 Wrote:and the engine would not have to even be on the loading ramp.
In the book mentioned above , referring to the Grand Trunk operations it mentions that diesels occasionally went on to the apron, but steam engines were kept well clear.
BR60103 Wrote:Your best bet is to plan on building two of them. When you complete the first one and publish it (on the net or in a magazine) all the information you don't have will suddenly be thrust upon you.
"There's many a true word spoken in jest", David, and isn't that just life?? While I'm learning, (read making it up) as I go along, at least I have the advantage of knowing far more than my local compatriots. 357 357
However all relevant information will be gratefully accepted. Worship
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
A great link into Teamtrack. Very well worth taking the time to read that material.
Reinhard
Bear,
Been doing other tings, so thanks for the reply and others in RE to unloading your Ferry. I have been a on car ferry a few times,when a did a two year stint driving a tour bus, Wis. to Mi. But they were no where near as long as yours. My guess would have been, unload the two center tracks first, then reload them and then the two outside tracks and reload them, or the reverse order. I recall the late John Allen had a smaller one on his layout, the G&D and one of the MR staff went to a operating session of John's and he was assigned the ferry switch job, I forget who it was though, I think it was Hediger,but don't quote me on that. John Allen had a article,years ago, 70's I believe, about the subject, I know I have it, but the old memory banks are a little cloudy. All in all though, it would make for one heck of an operating session, just the ferry alone.
Cheers, Cheers
Frank,zstipe
Video 
Gidday Frank, most of the ferries that run between New Zealands North and South Island are run by New Zealand Rail, or whaever the current name at the time was,  and though I have crossed Cook Strait a number of times I have never really taken much notice of how the freight cars were loaded, Wallbang   except that they were first, then trucks, cars,  motorcycles, then whoever if there was spare space.
Next time I will pay attention.
EDIT: In restoring the photos, and in particular, the external links, I find that after 6 1/2 years some are no longer available, so I will note where there have been changes, like this links. Which in someways are more appropriate...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_L5k4rpu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ggNxRcvm0

Cheers, the Bear.
The usual procedure with ferries was to load the middle tracks first, then the outside.
Sometimes they might just do part of a middle track, then the other middle track, then the rest of the first track. The idea was to have the weight near the middle as long as possible and as near balanced as possible.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
JaBear,
Thanks for the Vid's. Those look like big speedboats to me. There were times in my life, where I could not afford to pay attention. Icon_lol

BR60103,
Your explanation of the ferry loading and unloading, would be my guess also.

Cheers, Cheers
Frank,zstripe
:?  :?  Big skateboard or small ironing board  :?:

Cheers, the Bear  Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Finally! a practical use for skateboards!

I saw my first skateboard in April, 1965. I saw my first skateboard accident in April 1965. (spiral fracture of a legbone)

Did John Allen have a balancing mechanism on a train ferry? What I envisage is a rod underneath each of the two inner tracks. Too much on one side and the whole ferry flips over, dropping your scratchbuilt boxcars into the ???
David
Moderato ma non troppo
JaBear Wrote::? :? Big skateboard or small ironing board :?: Cheers, the Bear Smile

357 2285_ 357 I'd say neither, looks more like the beginnings of a "ferry". 357 357

The ship/s in the videos; Does the bow open to allow vehicle departure, or do the vehicles back out the Stern ? I ask, because, typically ferries are "drive through".

I couldn't make out the "usual hinges" that bow doors would have, and I couldn't see any line to indicate a "break" in the hull sides where doors would "fit in".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:The ship/s in the videos; Does the bow open to allow vehicle departure, or do the vehicles back out the Stern ? I ask, because, typically ferries are "drive through".
Gidday Sumpter250, As I said to zstripe Frank those videos were taken on very calm days. Though Cook Srait is only 14 miles apart at its narrowest poiunt, due to stong tidal flows that are  unusual in that the tidal elevation at the ends of the strait are almost exactly out of phase with one another and the funnel effect from the weather from either, or, both the Tasman Sea and the Pacific it can get quite nasty at times.
Edited links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDoMoRRQgSQ

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/cook-s...ck-buckets
Though I was only 10 at the time and living in Southland I can still clearly remember the storm the day of our biggest modern maritime disaster.
https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/wahine-disaster
I am not sure if any of the above has any bearing of why  the Inter Islanders are stern only loading ferries.
BR60103 Wrote:I saw my first skateboard accident in April 1965. (spiral fracture of a legbone)
OUCH!!!
Cheers, the Bear
Is this what is meant by the term "Half track"????  Wink

Cheers, the Bear.
Gidday All, At least I now have a carfloat.

Cheers, the Bear.
Lookin' good! Thumbsup Thumbsup Feel free to barge in anytime. Wink

Who makes that depressed-centre flatcar? It looks more appropriate for my modelling era than the Walthers one which my LHS is selling for more than I want to spend. Misngth

Wayne