HO Scale Lifeboats (and some larger vessels, too)
Try Blue Jacket Shipcrafters for your ventilator cowls- they sell many sizes for model boats....John A
Gidday John, Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the link, by the looks of things they do have the right sized cowl ventilators. 0ut of plain cussedness I'll probably still have a go at making some. 35 Nope
Thanks again, cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
JaBear Wrote:by the looks of things they do have the right sized cowl ventilators. 0ut of plain cussedness I'll probably still have a go at making some. 35 Nope Thanks again, cheers, the Bear. Smile

Aahrrrrr, a man after me own heart ! Wink Cheers

I do understand " plain cussedness " Wink Wink :o 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Half a plastic ball, and some styrene tubing( with a little "body putty" ) could make a reasonable facsimile.
Finding plastic balls the right size.... "Aye, now there's the rub."
Well Sumpter 250 certainly did get me thinking. Though looking at the time I’ve taken you may be excused for thinking that I could have got half way to solving a major world problem by now. After a couple of great ideas that actually weren’t,  Nope  I’ve come up with this.

Still got to finish off the two smaller ones and I’ve still got to learn to solder properly. Wallbang
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
So !.........the "Cat" is no longer "Belled" Wink 357

Plastic Balls / Brass Bells ....... It works quite nicely !! Nice job of "Junkbashing ". That's a good looking ventilator! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250, Thanks for the kind and encouraging remarks.

Buoyed by the relative success of the cowl ventilators I decided it was time to have a crack at the ladders I require for the funnels and the supporting superstructure. While I’d have liked to try the technique that I’ve seen doctorwayne and e-paw use finding the flat brass stock at my not so local LHSs has proved problematic and as I’ve already procrastinated for far too long, have come up with this alternative method using .020” brass rod and .016” music wire.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear.
It may be slow, but it is progress. Putting the ladders and ventilators to the use intended.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear.
Worship Worship Worship
When I see that "it" has been done right - - done well - - and can truly appreciate all that went into making it happen so well,
I become aware of two things ......
1. I am impressed ! Thumbsup Thumbsup (( and I am inspired.....it can be done better. ))
2. I am required to try harder to achieve that level of excellence. :o Wink Worship Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin (( one more excellent learning curve to "live on" ))
Sumpter250, I thank you for your kind words but I am sure that I will be engaged in the pursuit of excellence for the foreseeable future. Being my own worst critic I’m relatively happy that I’ve reached the level that I know when to stop before I make a complete pigs ear of the task in hand.
I look at modelling here and on the other forum I frequent, and am constantly inspired to try harder. While that could be interpreted that I am not satisfied with my attempts, I do remember that Model Railroads are FUN.  Big Grin  
Besides a Bigheaded Bear would be unbearable!! Eek  Wallbang

I must admit though that I’m not approaching the task of making 850 scale feet of railing with quite as much trepidation.
Cheers, the Bear.  2285_
JaBear Wrote:I must admit though that I’m not approaching the task of making 850 scale feet of railing with quite as much trepidation. Cheers, the Bear. 2285_
Cheers Big Grin Big Grin Cheers Wink
The "Tour ship" will take about 500 scale feet of railing Eek ( I hadn't thought of it in terms of scale feet ).
When the last of the sloops is rigged and done, I will get back to the tour ship, and start soldering........ then, "I will feel your pain" Icon_twisted 357 357 357
One of the photos of MS Diana that was posted here:

This is the model, that still needs all those railings:

:oops: and the canvass cover over the upper deck, with, all its supports ( even more soldering :o )
Wink Icon_lol Oh yes, :o I will "feel your pain" Cheers

Attached Files Image(s)

Sumpter250 Wrote:and the canvass cover over the upper deck, with, all its supports ( even more soldering   )
  Oh yes,  I will "feel your pain"
Looking at making  that canvas awning, I'm thinking that making the railing may  be a comparitive walk in the park and am happy I don't have too attempt that task myself.

Here's a link that may be of interest, formerly operated by New Zealand Railways, TSS Earnslaw. She was still a working boat when I was a youngster,  I can remember the surprise of the US tourists on board when we were asked to all move to the upper deck so they could transport sheep om the lower deck.
 ...(EDIT) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSP65EYeIaA
Cheers,  the Bear. Big Grin
Sumpter250 Wrote:
JaBear Wrote:... then, "I will feel your pain" Icon_twisted 357 357 357
Really? Icon_twisted
[Image: dsc0519006dq2.jpg]

Lutz
Piece o' cake - at least a twelve-layer one, by the looks of it in that photo. Misngth Icon_lol

I wonder if the awning could be done with brass shimstock?

Wayne
Lutz, that is one of the most cruellest, soul destroying photos I’ve ever seen. Icon_lol Talk about a challenge!!!! Eek If I was Sumpter250 I’d be modelling the railing in the pre OSH days without the netting, though can you get fine enough tulle......????
Cheers, the Bear. Big Grin
JaBear Wrote:Lutz, that is one of the most cruelest, soul destroying photos I’ve ever seen. Icon_lol Talk about a challenge!!!! Eek D
Wink Cheers a Challenge it may be, but no surprise......I also used that same photo for the stern details, on my tour ship model.
The luxury yacht model I'm finishing up, has some "canvass" details ( smaller, and less difficult to do ) similar to "Diana".
Those will be where I practice some of the methods I might be able to use, to do the overhead canvass.
I will probably go with the single ply facial tissue, in much the same way as I did for the sails on this Schooner:

My initial thought being, construct the "canvass frames", and layout the tissue over them, then spray with a *water, White glue,
mix and let dry. I should then be able to carefully separate the "canvass" from the frames, solder the frames in place, and re-attach the canvass. The white glue ( or carpenter's glue ) should make the tissue stiff enough to be "gently handled".
My first attempt at this, was for the "Lindy L", a modified Athearn boat:

This, however, is another project in itself. I have one more sloop to finish rigging before Friday. I want it on the modules for Trainfest.
Eek I didn't see that *out of focus* flag, in the far right of the photo. It too is a piece of single ply facial tissue, glued to the pole, installed on the boat, and allowed to naturally sag after applying the water/glue mix. The colors were hand painted in after the glue had dried. Icon_lol Big Grin Big Grin