HO Scale Lifeboats (and some larger vessels, too)
Sumpter250 Wrote:and layout the tissue over them, then spray with a *water, White glue,
mix and let dry. I should then be able to carefully separate the "canvass" from the frames, solder the frames in place, and re-attach the canvass. The white glue ( or carpenter's glue ) should make the tissue stiff enough to be "gently handled".
My first attempt at this, was for the "Lindy L", a modified Athearn boat:
Thats great idea and looks good on the "Lindy L", Thumbsup
but I think, me + tissue paper + white glue = soggy mess.  Icon_cry
Cheers, the Bear. Big Grin
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
[quote="Sumpter250"]...I also used that same photo for the stern details, on my tour ship model.
The luxury yacht model I'm finishing up, has some "canvass" details ( smaller, and less difficult to do ) similar to "Diana".
Those will be where I practice some of the methods I might be able to use, to do the overhead canvass.

Sumpter250,
The canvass on Diana is simply truck/trailer PVC canvass:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.onlineshopreich.de/images/produkte/i12/12076-Plane-610bl1.jpg">http://www.onlineshopreich.de/images/pr ... 610bl1.jpg</a><!-- m -->
It has a smooth surface and when new some glossy appereance. Truck bodies with PVC canvass tops are very common here in Europe.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.autoplanen-huegen.de/wp-content/gallery/lkw-planen/lkw-planen-huegen02.jpg">http://www.autoplanen-huegen.de/wp-cont ... egen02.jpg</a><!-- m -->
This truck has PVC canvass top and sides. And as to be seen, there are no crinkles and wrinkles at the body sides because it is tensioned. So it is with the canvass of Diana. Medium grey an absolute smooth and straight tensioned.
So i allow me to suggest you, why not make the canvass in this case out of thin styrene sheet?
And if you want to make tho older woven canvass, then the treatement of the styrene sheet surfaces with tissue will work.
If you want to model the typical sagging of canvass, thin styrene sheet can be formed and treatened to look alike.
My 2 C€nts
And my respect for your work you have done with the tour ship.

@JaBear
My respect also for your work on the carferry. Especially for the brassworks. Worship

Lutz
JaBear Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:and layout the tissue over them, then spray with a *water, White glue,
mix and let dry. I should then be able to carefully separate the "canvass" from the frames, solder the frames in place, and re-attach the canvass. The white glue ( or carpenter's glue ) should make the tissue stiff enough to be "gently handled".
My first attempt at this, was for the "Lindy L", a modified Athearn boat:
Thats great idea and looks good on the "Lindy L", Thumbsup
but I think, me + tissue paper + white glue = soggy mess. :cry:

Ahhh, yes, the "Soggy Mess" :o Wink Smile That was a major part of "that" learning curve.
Like any other thing, done for the first time, there are always "mistakes" AKA "Soggy Messes".
Wink signature line 1 applies Big Grin - - - - - - and there were a lot of mistakes made on "that" learning curve.

I will have to investigate alternate options, like, modeling "PVC canvass". I didn't catch that in the original photos.... :oops:
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
There is one thing that’s not mentioned in The Big Book of Scratch building for those who think they’re cleverer than they really are! Now I don’t want to put off other would be scratch builders but there’s nothing like that satisfaction of beavering away, getting the part looking right and then experiencing the horror of realisation that you now have to duplicate that part.   Eek   Icon_cry
Some more superstructure work.

Thanks for looking. Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
JaBear Wrote:Now I don’t want to put off other would be scratch builders but there’s nothing like that satisfaction of beavering away, getting the part looking right and then experiencing the horror of realization that you now have to duplicate that part. Eek :cry:

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted SEVEN more times !! Eek Eek 2285_ Big Grin Icon_twisted

Wink I can honestly say " I feel your pain" Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:    SEVEN more times !!        

I can honestly say " I feel your pain"

To be perfectly honest, I needed to feel pain in the form of a good kick in the butt. I don’t know why but for some reason I was having one of my very rare “glass half empty” days. Heck I only had to make one more window frame. Wallbang  :oops:
Anyhow some more progress, I am going to have to revisit that weathering.

Thanks for looking,
So far, that is closer to perfection than I can get, at this point in time.
BEAUTIFULLY DONE !!!!! 2285_ 2285_
Rivet Counters Beware!!!!!!
Today I had a major victory and boy oh boy I am jumping for joy!!!!  2285_  I’m still occasionally searching for information / pictures to help with this project and came up with a couple of new (to me) photos that showed me where I’ve actually gone wrong in my guesstimate measurements.
So why am I happy? Well not long ago I would have agonised whether I should start again, put the whole shebang on hold, and ended up feeling down in the dumps, making the whole process worse because I knew I was procrastinating. :cry:
But no more, the photos still don’t show me clearly the actual purpose of some of the superstructure, so I am not going to sweat about that ¼” I should have narrowed the funnel supporting structures by, meaning that I should reposition the tracks by an 1/8”. I don’t care; I’m just pretty content with what I’ve achieved so far. That, however, is no excuse for not trying to continue to make an honest attempt though.  
(If anyone should wish to build a more accurate model of the Windsor or Manitowoc I would be quite happy to share my observations.)

Sumpter250 Wrote:BEAUTIFULLY DONE !!!!!

In light of the above I feel a bit of a fraud but thank you for your moral support, it is appreciated.  Smile
Cheers, the Bear.
JaBear Wrote:....so I am not going to sweat about that ¼” I should have narrowed the funnel supporting structures by, meaning that I should reposition the tracks by an 1/8”...

I was wondering when you were going to notice those discrepancies. Wink Icon_lol

JaBear Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:BEAUTIFULLY DONE !!!!!

In light of the above I feel a bit of a fraud but thank you for your moral support, it is appreciated. Smile
Cheers, the Bear.

I heartily second Pete's assessment of your work....truly BEAUTIFULLY DONE!!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
JaBear Wrote:"Sumpter250" wrote: BEAUTIFULLY DONE !!!!!
In light of the above I feel a bit of a fraud but thank you for your moral support, it is appreciated. Smile

Cheers, the Bear.
My comments stand as they are, feel no fraud.
Supmter's "visitor rule #62" : never leave a "measuring device" near the newly built model, or a magnifying devise around any rivet work, and move to the next scene about halfway through the "counting of the rivets" Wink Wink :mrgreen:
Thanks again for the encouragement Gentlemen. I see that I will have to endeavour to attain the wisdom to adopt such sensible rules.
This is a link to one of the “offending “photos showing the Wabash RR Manitowoc at the Windsor, Ontario, Photographer and date, unknown.
https://rockontrains.files.wordpress.com...or-ont.jpg
I’ve already asked on the other forum I frequent for help with the date, but would appreciate thoughts from here. BTW It’s the sort of shot I’d expect Barney Secord to have taken.
Thanks and Cheers, the Bear.  Big Grin
"Offending Photo" ????

For something like the "Manitowoc", it is quite rare to find a picture like that overhead shot !!!! The only "car" ferries I have been able to get close to are Auto ferries, smaller, and more often with the bridge/pilot house, 'midships.
Looking forward to the progress shots of this "project". Thumbsup Thumbsup
Sumpter250 Wrote:"Offending Photo" ????  For something like the "Manitowoc", it is quite rare to find a picture like that overhead shot !!!!

Yeah,"offending" in the sense that I wish I had seen that photo when I was in the early planning stage.
Otherwise, it’s a great shot from an unusual angle. If the accepted date is 1953 or thereabouts, it has aided me by giving me  a backdrop option, shows that what I think is a hydraulic ram on the weight arm of the counterweight mechanism isn’t present, so Hooray,  one less item, actually two, to model, and a view of the Windsor yard.  
Having it at the design stage would have helped me with side clearance issues.
A Confession. If you look at the construction photos of the funnel support superstructure on page 5, you will see that they are square. (I know now that they’re a little wide but I’ve got over that). If you look on page six you will have observed that the forward one now has a taper. That is because after I had laid the track I checked out the superstructure clearance using an Athearn BB 40’ box car, it was tight but ok. Talk about brain fade, especially when I had photos clearly showing 50” cars.  Wallbang

Having rectified that OOPS and also seen photos with TOFC cars on board I thought that I should checkout the height clearance, which has also proved ok, and now with the construction of the cabin underway thought that I would again check the clearances before its too late.
Over on the other forum, a member commented that seeing the ferry project reminded him of crossing from Windsor to Detroit, in 1973, on a GTW ferry as the C&O private car he was on couldn’t use the St.Clair tunnels because of the propane on board. Though I had seen photos of passenger cars on ferries in the early 1900s, so out of my time zone, I thought I should see if passenger cars would fit just in case the Lachlan River RR has to move some. It is a very close but they do fit.

This is one of the tasks I was not looking forward to, Eek   making 180+ stanchions for the railing, but a couple of weeks ago, I was in the mood, and made them in three separate batches without too many dramas.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear.  Big Grin
I am late on seeing this thread, but it looks great to me Worship

Thumbsup
Eek I still have a ton of hand rail stanchions, and handrails to build for my "Tour Ship" Wink :o Icon_lol