HO Scale Lifeboats (and some larger vessels, too)
Looks great. I like your work with the handrails, a tricky talent to master.
cnrglen Wrote:Looks great. I like your work with the handrails, a tricky talent to master.

Cheers Cheers

The Lindberg "North Atlantic Fishing Trawler" kit, was the first "bash" I did, turning it into a Coastal Freighter. It was also the first attempt I made at using Brass rod for handrails. "a tricky talent to master"

The pilothouse on the freighter came from this "Harbor Tug" kit, so I had to scratch build this replacement. Also my second attempt at brass handrails.

JaBear, You have done an excellent job crafting your handrails, and all the rest of your car ferry !! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
By being allowed to participate on this forum has, for me, opened a “big can of worms”, “the Curse of the Slippery Slope”. I look around not only here in “Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing” but also the other sections and am constantly inspired to try harder, so even though I may not have even commented on your threads or postings, I wish to thank you all and an especial thanks to those whose comments here have further encouraged me.  Worship
I have come to the conclusion that the ferry is now at the 90% done, 90% to do stage, and that I now have to be careful to make sure that I assemble everything in the correct order.  I am thinking that the last thing I’ll be doing is the railings especially around the forward cabins bridge and associated stairs as, I think, they need to be tied together.
This also involves the placement of the lifeboats on the cabin roof and as I had mentioned on page 2, eighteen months ago, I was, for ease of making and fitting, going to model radial davits. However your collective consciousness has pricked my own and as a result, also after close scrutiny of the photos, I think that a type of quadrantal davit was used, so.....

......while it needs tidying up; I’m actually quite happy with the result. Now I just have to complete five more. 357
Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear  Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
The "Quadrantal" is one style of davit that I have no memory of ever seeing, other than as a diagram used for comparison.Then again, its function is similar to the gravity davit,

in that it tips from the vertical to the horizontal, to get the lifeboat clear of the side of the ship, for launching.
The "radial" davit is probably the most prevalent.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:The "Quadrantal" is one style of davit that I have no memory of ever seeing,

The trouble with being a young bloke eh!  357
I shall preface the following by saying that basically the extent of my knowledge of naval architecture comes from reading C.S. Foresters Hornblower series and a general interest in Nelsons Navy, and “Clippers”. So not knowing what the pixelated photos were trying to show me ultimately lead me to this....
https://maritime.org/doc/merchant/prelim/index.htm#pg3
and as the Manitowoc was built in 1926, the quadrantal type I’ve chosen to make, which looks closest to what I can make out, also appears to fit the time frame.
Have almost finished all the davits, it’s currently raining in the paint booth.
Building this ferry has certainly added to my knowledge of nautical matters, (problem being in finding storage space “upstairs”), ain’t model railroading great! Big Grin
I must say I admire you fleet, makes me try harder in my own endeavours.
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
" United States Maritime Service Training Manual, Preliminary Training, 1943,"
Excellent "Primer" for the "New guys" in the Maritime service. I learned much of that, even before joining the U.S.Navy.
There was a boatyard at the end of the street I grew up on. Wink Big Grin
Well it stopped raining in the paint shop.
I find it’s all very well to scratchbuild one item, actually it’s not;  the idea how to make the item may not immediately come to mind and then sometimes I try hard to complicate the build and also over engineer the process. Case in point these davits, I only want them to “look about right” not actually work and have to support the weight of a life boat. Usually I draw a picture to make sure the dimensions not only look about right but that the item will fit in its allocated space and ties in with the surrounds. Having done that, I still find that while building the item it’s often a case of “suck it and see”.
Having made the one item and decided it does “look about right”, and that’s not always a given, Wallbang   the real challenge is to then duplicate accurately the rest.
I can see the differences but as long as I stick to the “Three Foot Rule”(with one eye closed)  i’m pretty happy with these.

Thanks for looking, Cheers, the Bear. Smile
They look more than acceptable to my eyes. Nicely done. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I’m still mulling over how to simulate the blocks and tackle, so will change direction. It’s not that I don’t have enough other tasks to proceed with on this build.
Cheers, the Bear. Big Grin
Bear:
There are many ways the davits, and falls ( the lines that actually lift/lower the boat ) can be rigged.
With wire falls, they are usually wound on a winch drum, and when the boat is in the stored position, the winch brake is set.
With fiber lines, the falls are belayed to a cleat near the base of the davit ( When the boat is full up, a "stopper" is tied to the in-haul line, to hold it so that the line can be taken off the winch drum, cleated , and then the loose end coiled and lashed to the same cleat. There is usually a single sheave block, deck mounted just beneath that cleat, that guides the fall towards the winch drum. The stopper remains in place until the falls are once again secure on the winch drums, for lowering.) The best suggestion I can give, would be to find pictures, or better, a vessel similar to your ferry, and see how the boat falls actually run, and how they are secured when the boat is on the davits.
Looking forward to seeing how this goes.
Yeah Sumpter250, sorry if I gave the impression of not knowing how the falls were rigged, the site that clearly showed the “screw “ davits also showed clearly what is required, it’s just that I’m not yet quite sure how to actually do it without the possibility of bad language and going cross eyed!!! Eek Curse Icon_lol

Instead I have started the railing, “One small step for Bear.......

Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
JaBear Wrote:it’s just that I’m not yet quite sure how to actually do it without the possibility of bad language and going cross eyed!!! Eek Curse Icon_lol

Bear, I'm a retired Navy CPO, bad language and going cross eyed!, are a part of my life. :oops: :o Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Wink

I am still enjoying this thread. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Have to get off my duff, and get some pictures taken of the progress on the "new Cutter"
http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...4&start=15
-------------------------------------
I got the stays'l boom, and stays'l, rigged last night. The jib, next up, will be the last of the sails.
Sumpter250 Wrote:Have to get off my duff, and get some pictures taken of the progress on the "new Cutter"

Unfortunately, those pictures are gone. :cry:

Wayne
Redundant post, with the latest update to BB I can now update the pictures without making a complete hash of things. Icon_e_smile Cheers, the Bear, April 2020
doctorwayne Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:Have to get off my duff, and get some pictures taken of the progress on the "new Cutter"

Unfortunately, those pictures are gone. :cry:

Wayne

I just clicked on the link in my post, and those pictures came up. :o
OK, Wink :oops: on my computer they did.