HO Scale Lifeboats (and some larger vessels, too)
Bear, those lifeboats were very nicely done ! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks Sumpter250, though thinking about it, building the life boats before I started the boat they go on, sorta typifies my model railroading, it’s all a little back to front. Crazy Icon_lol 357
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
JaBear Wrote:Thanks Sumpter250, though thinking about it, building the life boats before I started the boat they go on, sorta typifies my model railroading, it’s all a little back to front. Crazy Icon_lol 357

Wink Wink Sitting here in the "Northern Hemisphere" I'd think more along the lines of "Bottom to Top" Wink Big Grin
Seriously though, you have to "build the parts", before you can "build the model", and, having built a ship model or two, I like what I am seeing, keep up the good work. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
cancelled because double posted
JaBear Wrote:And here I was going to tell Sumpter250 that I would behave and use no bad language as this is a family show. Wallbang
Yes we say "Kraftausdruck" here in Germany which is about 12700km beneath your feet. Big Grin
Good luck and no blisters when soldering the railings. Thumbsup

Lutz
Thank you Lutz for reminding me that not only is this a family show, but also an interrnational one at that. Wink

Schraddel Wrote:.....and no blisters when soldering the railings.

So far there have been no blisters and surprisingly no "Kraftausdruck" (just a bit of muttering under my breath) and while things have been going well, I do not think I will be ever capable of undertaking a project such as this....

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8217">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8217</a><!-- l -->

Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
"Oh Buoy Oh Buoy" Eek 357 357

Ooooooooooohhh "buooooooy" Wink

Thar be some well crafted life rings. Big Grin Big Grin Thumbsup Thumbsup

Got four 1:125.5 scale Quick action watertight doors built and installed, last night, on my USS LOWRY DD-770, model.
( why 1:125.5 scale ? you ask? --- because the hull I'm using is 36" long, and the vessel I'm modeling is 376'-6" long )

I can truly appreciate what you are doing, and enjoy seeing the results of your efforts. Cheers
Sumpter250 Wrote:.....I can truly appreciate what you are doing, and enjoy seeing the results of your efforts. Cheers

I agree: it's always a pleasure for me watching a craftsman utilise his skills. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
With the colder winter weather to keep my balding head warm I wear a hand knitted woollen beanie, which is just as well cos wool can stretch to fit my swollen head. 357
Thank gentlemen for your kind words but I must point out that the “Three Foot Rule” is very much in play here. Unless the light is poor I still don’t need to wear spectacles to read the newspaper, but when doing this close in small work I do wear 3.25x glasses which while helping to see what I’m doing also magnify the discrepancies, which when I’m trying to duplicate items are more than obvious, and which I tend to get rather fixated on. Then her-in-doors walks past, has a look and says something along “they look good” and taking off the magnifying specs, I have to agree. I think that while striving for perfection is an ideal goal, I have to learn that getting things to “look about right” can be pretty satisfying. Besides most people are generally looking, not necessarily seeing.
Tonight I have been having a crack at the deck fairleads, I’ve made three out of the four required but have gone cross eyed in the process. Icon_lol Crazy
Having proved to myself I that can, if I were to scratch build another vessel, I would seriously consider using commercial parts that are available, though I still have problem I that I like to actually see what I’m going to buy.

Sumpter250 Wrote:why 1:125.5 scale ? you ask?

If my sums are correct, in 1:125.5 scale, the outer dimension of a life buoy is 0.27” with a 0.136 inner, and having found a drawing of the USS Lowry, I can only see 4 life buoys, so they should really be a piece of cake. (Aren’t I great at delegating?? Wink 357 ) Are we going to see any Lowry progress pics???
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
" I do wear 3.25x glasses "
I have found that Optivisor seems to work better for me. I use a 5X.

" Are we going to see any Lowry progress pics??? Cheers, the Bear. "
Progress pics....... Eek I forgot about taking progress pics :o 35 What was I..... :oops: I wasn't "thinking".
Sumpter250 Wrote:I wasn't "thinking".
Her-in-doors doesn’t allow me to use that as an excuse! 357

Some bitts and other pieces.

I have a few ideas about how to make the capstans rattling around in that semi vacant space between the ears, will have to stop dithering and give them a go.
Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
Bitts was in the crossword puzzle, yesterday.
"Sailors take a turn around them."
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Bitts was in the crossword puzzle, yesterday.
"Sailors take a turn around them."

Leave it to the writers of cross word puzzles, to use a "vague hint".
The Blue Jackets' manual defines Bitt:
"A strong Iron post on ship's deck for working or fastening lines; almost invariably in pairs."

The "two posts" and their base are usually a casting that is welded to the deck. Bear, yours are nicely done. Thumbsup

"Progress Pic's ": I'll post those in "Other Hobbies" / " FRAM II DD in 1:125.5 scale".
More progress.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers, the Bear.