Attempting a Dual Power locomotive.
I am planning a dual power locomotive using a GE E60C and a DASH8-40C chassis. My question is would a DASH 8-40C chassis fit under the E60C loco shell? Did I mention that I model in N-SCALE...

ERIE RR
You might need to clarify some things. Are you talking about the E60C single-ended freight unit, or the Amtrak E60CP/E60CH? These are VERY different in length.

An SD7 frame is more appropriate for an E60C, while the C40-8 frame should work for an E60CP without a lot of effort.

Another question is, what is the purpose of this engine? Is a freight hauler, a commuter engine?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Yes it is this which I am working with hopefully its a E60CP.

ERIE RR

If I really wanted to nitpick, that locomotive is numbered as an E60CH, but the body shell is that of an E60CP. There are a pair of Steam Generator vents just over the "8" behind the cab on the non-pantograph end. Only the first few E60s had these, most were of the E60CH variety.

To nitpick further, its unlikely 978 was ever in Phase III paint with that number. When they were repainted, they got 600 series numbers.

In any event, depending on what sort of engine this is, you might want to leave them on, or not. Is it a passenger of freight unit?

Dual modes are very specialized locomotives, and I think most (if not all) North American examples are passenger units. The main examples that I know of are the FL9, P32AC-DM, DE30ACDM, and the ALP45DP. Almost all of these operate out of either Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal in New York (I suspect the ALP45s might be assigned to the Hoboken division across the Hudson river from New York City)

The wheel base on a C40-8 should be close, I'm assuming the E60's original frame doesn't perform well?
I want to do one of my own ideas, after seeing the drawings of the ALP45DP in Diesel Era magazine... Go ahead pick away everyone else does and has to find fault. Story of my life! Lol.

ERIE RR
ERIE RR Wrote:I want to do one of my own ideas, after seeing the drawings of the ALP45DP in Diesel Era magazine... Go ahead pick away everyone else does and has to find fault. Story of my life! Lol.

ERIE RR

Well, I'm not really picking on you or anything, I just like getting into the technicalities of these electrics. That seems to be my specialization here, lol.

Besides, you did nothing wrong. Bachmann is the one selling E60CPs with E60CH numbers in the wrong paint scheme. You'd think they'd just give them one of the numbers between 950-956.

I was only a little curious about the details of what you wanted to model so that I may make more helpful suggestions.

Which issue of Diesel era is that? I know I'm going to want an ALP45DP soon myself.
Green_Elite_Cab

I sent you a pm .

ERIE RR