Go get the wrecker
I came up with the idea for this thread yesterday when I drove past a small derailment. So post all your train wreck / derailment pics here (full scale or smaller).. Just make sure that you post pics that you have taken, anyone can repost from an internet search.

So to start things off here are a few shots of a derailment near the Delaware river in Slateford PA.

First the view from the Jersey side of the river.    

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
And now a few from the PA. side.

Yikes! That was close to that house!
Do we know what caused the derail ???? Was it bad track or car ??????? Eek :o Confusedhock:
Here are the remnants of a wreck on Tehachapi

kamerad, My guess is that is was probably bad track.. Here is a pic from the same location from the cab of one of our F-3's on an excursion last year. We are setting roughly right over the spot where the cars derailed. From the looks of the rail it was just a matter of time before a train was on the ground. I believe this is NS owned trackage and not the D&L's. When I went past there today the cars had been righted and rerailed, and a bulldozer was fixing the ballast. The police had the aria pretty well closed off so I was unable to get a closer look or any pics. From what I could tell it looked like all that was left to do was re-ray the track.

Eek Eek Eek Icon_twisted
Even my first attempts at hand laying track came out straighter than that !!!
Yeah, it was a disaster waiting to happen.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The zigs and zags should be the same on both rails and if the speed is right small zigs and zags are not a problem, it is when one rail zags and the other one zigs that you get in big trouble. Goldth Now the same zigs and zags at 40 mph will put you on the ground. Nope
If the track was in gauge (which I would question) this could have been caused by rock off. There are certain speeds that you just don't want to run especially with covered hoppers.
Charlie
Well the left hand rail in my pic looks, "relatively" straight,,,, The one on the right is another story Nope Nope Nope .
And, Charlie I figure if any one here would have some train wreck pics it would be you.. So post em if you got em.
e-paw Wrote:Well the left hand rail in my pic looks, "relatively" straight,,,, The one on the right is another story Nope Nope Nope .
And, Charlie I figure if any one here would have some train wreck pics it would be you.. So post em if you got em.
I will try to put a few up tonight. for now how about a video of one
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmRA7obUDM">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmRA7obUDM</a><!-- m -->
Charlie
Happened upon this in Cedar Falls, IA back in July of 2006. Some of the derailed cars just missed a restaurant.

[Image: P7170053.jpg]

[Image: P7170099.jpg]

[Image: P7170072.jpg]

[Image: P7170068.jpg]

[Image: P7170064.jpg]

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Jan. 14, 1977 Picked a point at a crossover.
East Palestine, Ohio                    
Charlie
WOW,, great shots Charlie. Thumbsup
Towards the end of the Big Hook era.  June, 1977 East Palestine, Ohio[attachment=17067][attachment=17066][attachment=17065][attachment=17064][attachment=17063]
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

continuing,                     Charlie