Go get the wrecker
August 20, 1988 just east of East Palestine the rear of a stopped train was hit by a train that wasn't. Another case of missed signals. . The videos are here, 2 parts showing Hulchers in action. Really a very talented bunch, especially when they unpile the locomotives.  
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqNLuv_vUW4&t=186s    Part 2  http://youtu.be/BgkSd0mgSBI

Charlie
That's some wreck Charlie.. Seeing the hoppers still wearing EL markings was cool, Watching them get flipped over was even cooler. Not what you see in the average day.

And it looks like Lester's LPB's got there hands full also.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:That's some wreck Charlie.. Seeing the hoppers still wearing EL markings was cool, Watching them get flipped over was even cooler. Not what you see in the average day.
If you watch the second video closely (about 28:15) when they are pulling the locomotive off the pile one of the cables either breaks or comes loose and almost gets the guy giving directions. He had more nerve than I have, I think there are 5 cables on that locomotive, and he is standing BETWEEN them.
By the way, all of those locomotives were rebuilt.
Charlie
The D&L got it's first train through today. I got to catch it on my way home from work, just as the 6 Alco units were pulling through the water gap.

Here they are running around the empties on the short siding (track 3). In a few moments they will spot the last of the damaged cars here.    

These are the five cars damaged in the derailment. Ill show you some of the damage. The D&L crew has also moved the empties to track 2 in order to clear the main for the loads headed for the yard in Scranton PA.    

Check out this flat car.. It's an ex DL&W car from the 20's still in service. it was used to haul all the rail and ties to fix the track.     Take a look at that build date. Eek    

Here is a look at the first damaged car. The one on the left has had new trucks installed and the one on the right has lost a step , airline and most of it's brake rigging.    
It seems that a new set of trucks was the order of the day with this wreck,, And a new draft gear will be needed in this case.    

This is the car that went down the embankment, you can see the bent up walkways on the roof.    

Here the power backs down the new track to get the bad order cars as the track crew looks on.    

With the new train on the hook they roll westward towards Scranton.    

I found out that the derailed hoppers were filled with fracking sand. luckily none of it spilled.
NS derailment in Bucyrus at Benson yard...

[Image: Picture-008-4.jpg]

[Image: Picture-007-4.jpg]

[Image: Picture-017.jpg]

A wrecked covered hopper on a flat project.

[Image: Picture-010-3.jpg]
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
kamerad47 Wrote:Do we know what caused the derail ???? Was it bad track or car ??????? Eek :o Confusedhock:

Gravity.
The SH&D company photographer, Izall Blurry, was very buzzy today. While documenting an empty hopper that picked a switch at the Hercules Cement plant in Stockertown (shown in these pics) Mr. Blurry got another call came.

Mr. blurry is a very dedicated worker, He even climbed a tree to get this shot.    

This time the call came from the round house in Riegelsville. 833 a heavy USRA mountain, went into the turntable pit. The independent brake valve had jammed. The holster quickly put her in reverse and slowed the beast down enough to keep the entire engine out of the pit. The 4-8-2 only suffered from some minor damage to the brake rigging and no one was injured. This did close down the roundhouse for a couple of hours and tied up the line for a while, but by late in the afternoon all was back to normal.

A few of the Anna lines employees posed with the bruised engine for this shot.
Just another day on the Penn Central...

[Image: IMG_0658.jpg]
Hay's block station was located just west of New Galilee, Pa.  It was a favorite wreckreational  Goldth area for the railroad in the 70's.
This one was in May, 1976                    
Charlie
continuing with the one from May of 76. Sorry about the quality but the instamatic was the best I had at this time. (repaired post 6/21/2021)
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Same place, different day. May, 1978.                    
Charlie
And another grain train bites the dust in October the same year.  This was getting monotonous.                    
Charlie
I actually missed a couple but once again in May 1979 the crossover ate another grain train.        
Charlie
WOW Eek did the railroad ever stop feeding that crossover grain cars ??? It must have been very hungry.