Ash ballast-are there any risks?
Hi,

I'm thinking of using the sieved ash remains from a home barbecue as ballast, however, I was wondering whether this could be harmful to the track's rails as I recall that ash is ever so slightly acidic.

I will be fixing it down with diluted (with water) Pva glue using detergent to reduce surface tension, so don't know whether this would help by creating a seal between the ash and metal rails. I could of course be way off the mark in thinking this.

I'd be grateful of any advice kindly offered.

Regards,

Jointed
I don't know about the risk of harm to the rails but I can tell you that my experiment in making a country road from bar-b-que ash leads me to not consider doing it again. It didn't take moisture well and became a muddy mess...which actually worked OK for the final appearance of the road, but I had to keep adding more ash to fill holes and I didn't feel I had moch control over the results. I can't imagine it being very satisfying as ballast.

Ralph
I have used wood ash from a wood stove for gravel roads in N scale. I glue down a gravel base using a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. After that dries I sprinkle on the wood ashes and grind them in by rubbing around on them with my finger, this gives me the color and makes the gravel smoother which looks better in my tiny scale. I agree with Ralph that gluing down the ashes would probably make a muddy mess and the ashes are probably to fine for anything other than Z scale ballast.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Ralph/Mike

That'll do for me, gentlemen.

The benefit of your past experiences has obviously saved me a whole lot of unnecessary bother and wasted time Thumbsup

Many thanks,

Jonte