Rivet strips and gusset plates ...
... easy to build, how I think.

First here two pictures of my O&W coal gondolas which I showed already.

[Image: ow-gondolas_07k.jpg]

Inside I added door chains - which will not be visible by a load of coal.

[Image: ow-gondolas_10k.jpg]

Repaired and equipped with some new details,replaced brake wheels, a new brake staff support including chain connected to brake cylinder, retainer valve and new uncoupling levers over whole car wide.
But there was a great mistake on models that I could not accept - corner rivet strips at wall edges which were etched into wall planks and which were be not set onto planks.

The final idea was given by my friend Joerg from Leipzig who will paint and age the models at end.
The basic idea is to use thin plastic strips where rivet heads were pressed into strips and to glue them on corners of planks after. He has read about this technique in an earlier MR and he had realized it with a few small gusset plates on his own models. See last picture.

First what you need is a lighted working table.

[Image: niet-streifen_23k.jpg]

After a few thoughts for self-build I purchased the smallest LED-panel (this has a size 1' by 1' and is large enough for scale 1 modeling but it was not available in smaller sizes) and it was relative cheap purchase on Ebay.

Second what you need is a pattern sheet from thin brass or nickel silver where you must drill small holes (many small holes) so how your rivet strips or gusset plates should look at end.

[Image: niet-streifen_07k.jpg]

I used thin brass of 0.5 mm thickness or 0.02", pre-drilled with drill bits of 0.3 mm (this is between #83 and #84) and I finished the holes with 0.4 mm - close to a #78 drill bit. Here you should work so exactly how you can and working with a crosswise working mechanical support for drill presses or a milling machine would be very helpful. I do not own such machines and I worked by my ordinary hand-manner. However by pre-drilling the holes I could make small corrections before the second drilling. I would like to say that everyone can get good results also without expansive machines, maybe by a second attempt.

Because I needed strips only with one and two lines of rivets the pattern is very simple, I think. However after first samples I must made a simple correction at pattern sheet. All holes have had very sharp edges and so I pressed holes in a few cases into plastic strips. Using a drill bit #75 or a similar one I removed the sharp edges on holes on one side where the rivet heads are pressed. Thus the holes (and the rivet heads) will be a little bit enlarged but you will get well looking rivet heads.

[Image: niet-streifen_11k.jpg]

In order to get straight rivet rows which are exactly positioned in center on the plastic strips I soldered metal strips on the pattern sheet for guiding the plastic strips. Here I must say a second time that you should work very exactly. And I must say also that I corrected each of these strips two or three times until they have reached all their exact position. But this was a simpler job as drilling the holes.

[Image: niet-streifen_25k.jpg]

Thus it looks, if the jig lies on lighted work table where I masked all other areas in order to avoid eyes dazzling.

[Image: niet-streifen_26k.jpg]

Here I have laid a plastic strip into two-row channel and now you can see how the rivet positions are shining through the holes. That is that what I need for pressing the small rivet heads. Look the results in next picture.

[Image: niet-streifen_33k.jpg]

The pressing tool is an old screw driver that I shortened and where I ground a tip to it - and after I ground a small rounded tip. Here I can not declare how you should reduce the tip to roundness. Start with a sharp tip, press a few rivet heads until you get nice looking rivets without that you press holes through the plastic.
A word yet about plastic strips. I tried to use the thinnest Evergreen Scale strips which are 0.01" (0.25mm) thick. However I tried also strips which I cut from 0.005" sheets - and these rivet strips looked better in my eyes. See ...

[Image: niet-streifen_test-01kk.jpg]

Upper angles are made from sheet 0.005" material while angle below is made from a 0.01" strip. I have selected the upper angle for using at my gondolas then the lower one is looking too heavy for this scale, I think. Calculate back into reality and I think that we should agree.
However I must say also that you can not good see the through-shining holes if you use thicker strips or sheets. Maybe larger holes will help and these will be well suitable again for larger scale rivets than for my HO-models. There you should make a few attempts to find your own way.

[Image: niet-streifen_36k.jpg]

Strips have been divided and bent ...

[Image: ow-gondolas_12k.jpg]

... and glued onto model. And as last I have trimmed the length of angles after ca-glue has set. Ready for painting, the first model!

[Image: hopper-henselj-bkf.jpg]

This is the last picture of this short description and it shows a model that my friend Joerg has detailed.

He has made the small gusset plates after same technique how I have written and these rivet patterns can made easier yet as my strips. You can press these rivet patterns in whole plastic sheets without such guidance how I soldered on my pattern sheet. You can press these rivet patterns in whole even plstic sheets without such guidance how I soldered on my pattern sheet. And so you can cut the plates and give them their size after. However you can add also a single metal strip as a strike or also two strips fixed in an angle and so there are many opportunities to receive good looking and very exact modeled gusset plates with identical positions of rivets to the edges.
I think there are a large number of possibilities for making own rivet strips and gusset plates and also different sized rivets are not a big problem. Drill larger holes into your pattern sheet and you will receive a fast result - in one step. I would like to see your attempts. Or write a mail.

Thanks also to Doc Wayne for the personal mails on search for a good solution for these rivet strips. There were a lot of ideas and hints getting the best solution that we have discussed.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I like it.. Very nicely done. Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Awwwww Gee Bernhard, I feel a doctorwayne "slippery slope" moment coming on. Wallbang So much for me trying to stick to the "Three Foot Rule". Nope Thank goodness I haven't got any .005" styrene.
Thanks for sharing the tip. Thumbsup Cheers
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
First one, ...

[Image: ow-gondolas_14kk.jpg]

... then two and then three - now all my new O&W gondolas are ready for painting, coloring and aging.

Thanks all for your friendly comments!
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Looks very nice!

I've done some, limited, rivet work freehand...but the results you've obtained with the jig are definitely more impressive.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
A more sample of this technology is this large pressure tank which I built after a real prototype.

[Image: pressuretank_51k.jpg]

Please open the gallery on my website for seeing the progress of this model, including a lot of pictures of prototype - with English picture texts.
Cheers, Bernd

What I should add on this thread are three pictures of finished gondolas where I added these rivet strips a first time.
Look and enjoy!

[Image: ow-gondolas_22kf.jpg]

[Image: ow-gondolas_19kfl.jpg]

[Image: ow-gondolas_20kf.jpg]
Cheers, Bernd

Berhard....absolutely stunning work! That pressure tank looks incredible. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Steve
Amazing!

One technique I saw for making rivet strips was to use a straight edge and a pounce wheel to make long strips. That said, Archer rivet decals probably could be used for simple lines like that.

This stuff is intense!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Great-looking gondolas, Bernhard, and those hoppers behind them are pretty nice, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
The dry brush emphasizes the detail great Thumbsup
Reinhard
Bernhard, I now have a "Post-it" with "Rivet strips and gusset plates ... Big Blue ...Jun 09 2014" on it, as a reminder, to build that "TOOL" .
Quality work can only be done with Quality tools, and your "brass sheet punch tool", is a Quality Tool. Hopefully I can get one done in less that four tries.

Your rivet detail is as perfect as I have ever seen !!, and I've been around long enough to have seen quite a bit of it.
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thank you very much for your kind comments and sorry for the late reply, I had a few vacation days on the Baltic Sea - with trains, of course!

[Image: img_0559k.jpg]
Cheers, Bernd

Narrow gauge steam in the Springtime - sounds like a nice vacation to me. Thumbsup Thumbsup Welcome back. Goldth

Wayne
Yes, Doc, it was a very nice vacation week! And thanks again for your comment!
Cheers, Bernd