Ez's 2014 summer kit build challenge
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Don don't forget to leave room in the landscaping around the depot for a prune tree with a humming bird nest in it. Misngth Thumbsup

Of course, that's why I'm building this diorama in the first place. What makes it easy is that in N scale, no one can tell the difference between the prunes and the hummingbirds... 357 357 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
All the depot walls are in place and right now I'm working on the pilasters and trim. Gad, the parts seem to be getting smaller as I go along. Loose track of one part and there goes at least 20 minutes of your day, :o with a lot of thinking about how you're going to replicate the part if you can't find it since there is no way they'd add a few spare parts. Nope I can't wait to get to the roof, it's the largest single structure part in the whole kit. Wink

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
"What makes it easy is that in N scale, no one can tell the difference between the prunes and the hummingbirds..."

True! Icon_lol

The build is progressing nicely. Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:"What makes it easy is that in N scale, no one can tell the difference between the prunes and the hummingbirds..."

True! Icon_lol

The build is progressing nicely. Thumbsup

Thanks, the biggest thing besides working with these microscopic parts, is going to be touching up the paint, especially around the windows and trim. Everything looks good until you take a picture, then you can see all the faults. :o Hey, I picked N scale, I had a choice an this is the path I took... 8-)
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just keep repeating:

I'm a model railroader because I love a challenge

Cheers
Mike

Okie dokie,

Now where did that @#&#@!! enie-winie-tiny part go that just went sailing after I cut it off the sprue. Curse Curse Curse Wallbang
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just in case someone thinks I'm kidding, or that I gotta man up to working with small parts, here's a picture of some that I still have to assemble. I think that some of these kit designers are a bit sadistic, they could have molded these tiny parts (1/8" x 3/32") into where they go, the roof fascia strips. 35 35

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just keep repeating:

Thumbsup
Mike

WOW EZDAYS there is more plastic in the sprue then the parts Eek
AF350 Wrote:WOW EZDAYS there is more plastic in the sprue then the parts Eek

That, I will never understand. They could have saved all that plastic times the number of kits they made if they only molded those parts where they go. 35 So far I've got one piece wandering around in neverland, and two more that left too much of themselves on the sprue to be used. I've got a workaround though, just don't use them. Tongue They're so small that no one will know they're missing. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, I would be willing to bet that kit was made by Helgan.(SP) that is the way they do kits and they have made a lot of kits for Walthers.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Don:
You should read some of the threads about Hornby. They recently came up with what they called "Design Clever" which meant that their RTR models moved back from separately applied details to moulded on the roof (or boiler) details.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
ezdays Wrote:Just in case someone thinks I'm kidding, or that I gotta man up to working with small parts, here's a picture of some that I still have to assemble. I think that some of these kit designers are a bit sadistic, they could have molded these tiny parts (1/8" x 3/32") into where they go, the roof fascia strips. 35 35

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Somewhere, some kit designer is reading this and laughing his butt off.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Catt Wrote:Don, I would be willing to bet that kit was made by Helgan.(SP) that is the way they do kits and they have made a lot of kits for Walthers.

You nailed that one. The kit is marked, "made in Denmark". Ahearn has one too, but it's ready built.
BR60103 Wrote:Don:
You should read some of the threads about Hornby. They recently came up with what they called "Design Clever" which meant that their RTR models moved back from separately applied details to moulded on the roof (or boiler) details.

it is unconscionable that anyone would expect a person to be able to deal with such small parts, when they could even save themselves money by molding these right into another piece. Of the four smallest pieces, I was successful in getting one mounted. I've got four more similar pieces and I think I'll just make something that works rather than waste my energy and frustration on them. I like kits, I just don't like parts so small it's even too hard to pick them up with tweezers.

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Somewhere, some kit designer is reading this and laughing his butt off.

Yeah, but he'll get his in the end, they always do..... Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, I certainly like details. But there is always a trade off. Eventually, they get so small you can't see them, so it doesn't matter if they are there or not. Or, they are just a PITA to apply. And the third problem is they break off easy. Molded on details are certainly fine enough for most people in most circumstances. A good paint job can do wonders for making up for less than hi-fi details. Do I need separately applied details on all my freight cars? NO. I'm fine with shake-the-box kits and replacing the stirrup steps. 1/16" trim pieces on an n-scale structure? Probably won't be missed.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->