Ez's 2014 summer kit build challenge
Thanks Ralph, here's a few shots of it lit. One of the things I want to do is to give the inside of the depot some detailing. I'll add that after the end of this challenge since it would violate my very own rules for the kit building challenge. Wink

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It''s been a while, but I've been puttering around when I have the time. The next step is to start making it look like a diorama. I decided to put it on a piece of 1" foam because of it's size. I have some thin foamboard, but that would not stay flat enough. Anyway, here's a few shots to catch you up to where I was a few days ago. I know it doesn't look good at this point, but with some luck, that could change:

The depot is in place and I thought I'd put in an asphalt parking lot. Painting the base also brought out all the defects in the foam which need to get filled.

I forgot that I was going to detail the inside once this challenge was finished so I dug out an opening below the depot so I can put the interior detail in when the time comes. I'm not going to say just how many doors and windows I knocked loose doing this. 35

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Some more progress, the road past the depot has been graded and the curbing has been put in place. Most of the parking lot has has some serious patching, and after a archeologist visited the site, reminded me that concrete would be more appropriate for the parking lot. The street is a bit more modern and will be paved with asphalt, so that's the direction we're headed in.

Road added and parking lot patched:

Curbing added and more patching (joint compound)

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
It's looking mighty fine Don! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:It's looking mighty fine Don! Thumbsup

Thanks, but I wouldn't go that far yet... Maybe after another 20 hours or so would it even come close to "acceptable".... I hope so anyway. Icon_lol Or, it could wind up like my last project, still not finished almost six months after the challenge ended. :oops: I have more hope for this one though since I can do it sitting down. Misngth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
You should have just said that you were modeling Michigan.If you did that nobody would question those potholes cause everybody would understand and praise your authentic modeling. Eek :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:You should have just said that you were modeling Michigan.If you did that nobody would question those potholes cause everybody would understand and praise your authentic modeling. Eek :mrgreen:

Yeah, of even Houston. We were there for a year and there were potholes galore. They were repaving one road with asphalt when I noticed they were just paving over the potholes without filling them first. That was fun, driving though government-funded paved potholes. 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just so you don't think I've been shirking my commitment, here's a progress pic. Nothing to brag about, but we did get the cement poured and aged for the parking lot and driveways and managed to get the city to reluctantly pave the street. :cry: We even got a crew in to lay some track, after it took so long to get the proper permits issued. Curse Nothing but red tape and bureaucracy since we are dealing with a historic building. There's still a lot of details missing, but I needed to get to here first. I'm sure we'll have a few more glitches and holdups from City Hall, but we will get this project finished on time and on budget.... 2285_ 2285_

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Cheers Thumbsup
Mike

Don. A bit late, but Woodland Scenics makes a tub of stuff that dries into foam (or something just like it). Not plaster or that thick latex stuff.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Don. A bit late, but Woodland Scenics makes a tub of stuff that dries into foam (or something just like it). Not plaster or that thick latex stuff.

Thanks, you're right, a bit too late for this project. I've been using joint compound for a long time. it has a long working time, doesn't shrink and is still a bit pliable hours later, which is great for making rocks and rough terrain. But yeah, in this case, the Woodland Scenic stuff might have been easier to use.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just moving right along. I've got the tracks painted and ballasted, the street and parking lots paved and some greenery and fences in place. I still have a bunch if nitty-gritty details to add (cars, people, benches, signs...), a bit of weathering where needed and some cleanup to do before that. But, anyway, here's where I am as of today:

Trackside looking east:

Trackside looking west:

Streetside:

Sheet of signs to add to details:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looks good Thumbsup
impressive!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
The landscaping is looking Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike