Ez's 2014 summer kit build challenge
Thanks guys, this is the point where you can make or break a project like this. I just hope I have enough detail parts to finish it the way I think it should be.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Thanks guys, this is the point where you can make or break a project like this. I just hope I have enough detail parts to finish it the way I think it should be.

Hmmmmmmm Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Scratch-building detail parts in N scale. Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Could have been worse Wink could have been Z scale 357 Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted

All kidding aside, that's an excellent looking depot Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Beautifully done Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Well, I think I'm just about there as far as this challenge goes. I do plan on adding some detail to the freight roof and the inside waiting room, but I think those things are outside the scope of this challenge and so I'll leave that for another time. Remember, this is a N scale diorama with dimensions of 20" x 14", too big for anyplace on my layout, but I did want to complete this Santa Fe depot. Here's what I'm going to call "DONE":

A streetside overall view:

A trackside overall view:

Looking east:

Looking west:

An eastbound Amtrak is passed by a westbound freight:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
very nicely done Smile Glad you posted a photo with some trains in front of the depot Smile
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Nicely done Don! Cheers Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Well done sir Worship Thumbsup Cheers Thumbsup Worship Well done.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Here's a few closeups of some of the details:

Passengers waiting for the next train:

Freight house with baggage cart:

A couple of horses hanging around in the brush:

A large hole has developed in a crack in the parking lot and is awaiting repair:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
And lastly, some night photos, the first three were taken as the sun settled, the last two later at night. There is one other hazard on this diorama, other than the hole in the parking lot. For some reason, neither car on the street turned on their headlights. We'll have to work on that with a bit of LPB driver training Big Grin ....

We have the trackside at dusk:

Then the streetside, also at dusk:

And then the parking lot about the same time:

We shot these when it was really dark out, first the streetside:

Then a view of the trackside:

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The night scenes are especially well done. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
:oops: :oops: and I thought I wasn't going to have any , "competition", in this challenge - - - - Wink Wink Nope Wink Wink that's not going to happen, too many "good looking projects" in this challenge. 2285_ 2285_
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:The night scenes are especially well done. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
:oops: :oops: and I thought I wasn't going to have any , "competition", in this challenge - - - - Wink Wink Nope Wink Wink that's not going to happen, too many "good looking projects" in this challenge. 2285_ 2285_

Thank you kind sir, coming from you makes me honored and humble.... But (there's always the "but"), I don't think my modeling is up to the same standards as yours and the others in this challenge. This won't be the first challenge that I finished well out of the running.... Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The night scenes are great Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string