Sumpter 250's 2014 Summer Scratchbuild Continuation:
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Looks right at home there Pete, nice job! Thumbsup Worship Cheers

Mike, What most folk here do not realize, is that I have been to your place and seen, up close and personal, what you are capable of modeling. Your compliments are taken seriously, and appreciatively. 2285_ 2285_
Thank You Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks Pete but you don't give yourself enough credit, your modeling is right there with the best! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
How can you not like that? A scene like this just wants to make you pack everything up and move to there. It's just good that it's not winter there right now, otherwise I'd have second thoughts. Wink

Well done Pete..... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:How can you not like that? A scene like this just wants to make you pack everything up and move to there.
Icon_twisted Icon_twisted I don't have to " move to there " - - - - - just a short walk down the basement stairs and................
I'm T h e r e Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sometimes, it's not what you see that makes a scene come alive, it's what you feel. The Big Secret ?, is learning how to model the feeling . Once again, "signature line 2", applies I do enjoy learning new things. Big Grin

It also does not hurt to "be appreciated". Many thanks to all, for the "reward", of your comments.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:How can you not like that? A scene like this just wants to make you pack everything up and move to there.
Icon_twisted Icon_twisted I don't have to " move to there " - - - - - just a short walk down the basement stairs and................
I'm T h e r e Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sometimes, it's not what you see that makes a scene come alive, it's what you feel. The Big Secret ?, is learning how to model the feeling . Once again, "signature line 2", applies I do enjoy learning new things. Big Grin

It also does not hurt to "be appreciated". Many thanks to all, for the "reward", of your comments.
Aww. shucks, you wouldn't get them if you didn't deserve them. Thumbsup That just looks like such a nice place to hang out, a place I've only seen in pictures. Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I've been 34 years here in Illinois. I have been back East several times in those 34 years, and one of the places I have visited is Mystic Seaport Village and Museum, Mystic, Connecticut. Those visits, are the inspiration for Cindys Harbor, the "feeling" of that place is what I have tried to model. Wink I think I got "close enough for government work" Wink Big Grin .

The "river" sloop's standing rigging is almost done, I still have the Bowsprit guys, foot ropes, and back-ropes to put in.

:oops: :oops: just realized I don't have the gammoning {{ the lashing or iron band by which the bowsprit of a ship is fixed to the stem }} rigged on the bowsprit yet, better get that done first, which means Icon_lol opening the space between the trail boards, and the stem, which are part of the hull casting. [ yeah, the hull is from the Academy "Clipper Ship Cutty Sark" plastic kit ]

{{{ Cutty Sark's length, tip of bowsprit to aft end of boom, ( L.O.A.) would be 3'-3" or, 39" in HO scale. Her prototype L.O.A. was 280' }}} To model that Clipper, in HO scale, would require A BIGGER MODULE :o 357 357

The old Marx kit of the "Sea Witch" measures 32" L.O.A - - - a "module" is only 48" long :o Sad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starboard side of the River Sloop showing the standing rigging so far,

Closer view: Of the four chain plates on each side, the forward three are for the shrouds, the fourth one aft is the topmast backstay.

The Jib boom, the main boom, and the main Gaff, are temporarily "bluetaped" down, to keep them safely "in place".
There's still a LOT of "handling" of this model before it is done.
The figure, standing midships, is an HO unpainted firefighter, just to give a little size comparison of the model, which is a scale 75' from the tip of the bowsprit to the aft end of the Boom ( L.O.A. ), she's 44'-6" at the waterline.