Tsunami AT1000 decoder
I've got a Tsunami decoder to fit into one of my Athearns. It's got to be hard wired to the chassis, then the lights etc. to be wired. I'm using LED's instead of bulbs. Will I need to fit resistors to it or not please. Thanks.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Yes, but ....
If you got a Tsunami decoder designed for Athearn units they are made to use for 1.5V bulb use made. LED require about 3V and will not work. There should be a soldering point on the PCB labeled 14V or something like that. That soldering point together with the minus connector at the ends is your to connect LEDS "with" a 1000 Ohm resistor.
LEDs must be connected with 1000 Ohm resistors to the end connectors if you got the decoder not intended for Athearn units.
There should be a wiring diagram printed on the cardboard with the decoder.

Please refer to the Tsunami diesel owners manual for details. It explains how to use Athearn specific decoders with LED and 12V specific decoders with micro bulbs.
Reinhard
Thanks for that. It looks like resistors are required. No problem.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Catweasel Wrote:Thanks for that. It looks like resistors are required. No problem.

Yes, resistors are required in any case but the "Athearn version" designed for 1.5V micro bulbs does not supply 3V required for LED at the connectors at the end of the PCB. You need to find the alternate soldering point on the PCB to be used as Plus. Minus is in all cases to be used from the end of the PCB.
Reinhard
Why is this not posted under DCC so people with the same problem in the future can find it?
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
That'll be my fault. Sorry. If it can be moved to DCC? Thanks.