For those of you that detail passenger cars...
Do you guys glue the roofs on after the interior is detailed? Some manufacturers' cars the floor is easily removable (such as Athearn) but other manufacturers the floor is molded with the sides and the roof detaches. But, sometimes it's hard to add interior detail with a removable floor, and sometimes it's hard to make an easy way for the roof to detach without having a seam or screw noticeable. I've got a car I am working on and was planning on making the floor detach, but now I am thinking of adding some interior details and that would complicate things with the removable floor. My new thought is why do I need to ever access the interior of the car once everything is completed? Why not just glue everything shut?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
!- If the car has a removable floor, leave it "removable" until you are sure that you don't want to add any more detail.
2- If the car has a removable roof, Wink Ditto Wink
3- If there are any bulbs for lighting that require roof or floor to be removable, A lot of passenger car have small enclosures at each end ( could be lavatories ) you can use that space for screw/bolt attachment of the floor
4- If there is no foreseeable need to have the floor or roof removable, glue it . ( in this case, however, ! would recommend spot gluing, so that if the day ever comes that you need to open up the car, you won't have to destroy it, to get it opened.
A spot of glue in each corner, and maybe two spots on each side should do it.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I would recommend using either Elmer's or Aleene's Tacky glue to attach either the floor or the roof. Maybe a single dab of glue at each corner and one more about half way in between.Either glue will hold nicely if allowed to dry before you handle the car a lot.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
When I'm building my core kits, I tend to leave the roof removable. The challenge here is getting the roofs "straight" so that they don't leave gaps between the sides and roof.

I've seen two strategies. Some use small magnets mounted in the ends of the cars and the roofs to hold the roofs on, other have used styrene "tabs" that extend the long way down the inside of the car. The tabs don't hook in, rather they are flared out slightly and the friction holds the roof in, quite effectively.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]