Connection time outs
THIS:
The connection has timed out
The server at bigbluetrains.com is taking too long to respond.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Try Again

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is happening constantly Wallbang Seems to be only with bigblue :o :?: :o
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I've had this happen occasionally, not often though. I would say that it's happened maybe five times in the two years that we've been on the new server. I get excited when it happens, but it always recovers in a minute or so. I have seen it on other sites, for instance, Foxnews, Google and even Yahoo have given me this error occasionally, probably more often than Big Blue does. I can't say what the problem is, if you are getting it more frequently, it could be your ISP. I also have to ask, are you using the old "Gauge.net" URL, or the new, "BigBlueTrains.com" one? Both use the same server and both will get you here, but using the Big Blue one will do it a few milliseconds faster...

The bottom line Pete is, that I haven't a clue to help you. If more people were having this problem, I'd have Packey look into things on this end, but I'll mention it to him anyway, just in case....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Peter:

I had this same issue with Big Blue and some other sites with Firefox. I remember trying to update it and also turning down the security in order to let the 4 or 5 problem sites work correctly.

i finally kicked the fox out the door and switched to google chrome. It seems to be a bit more reliable than firefox. I still use firefox for some sites that confuse Chrome. So you see, you can't win. There's always some site that won't load on a certain browser. Like Don, I have no immediate answer.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
No problems here with Firefox or IE7.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yeah, Firefox can be a bit ornery, but like Mikey says, so can all the other browsers. I've been using Firefox even since it came out and keep up to date with upgrades. Still, I have a gmail site where I have to use Chrome to get in and read my mail. The settings on all browsers are tricky at best and it took me over a year to get my setting right so I could read PDF files on our Surprise, AZ site. Just a simple, but well hidden change made it possible.

Still, no real solution or known cause that I can think of. I'll talk to Packey and see what he says.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
There are two boards that I visit daily.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.keeperoftheforce.com">http://www.keeperoftheforce.com</a><!-- m -->, and <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigbluetrains.com">http://www.bigbluetrains.com</a><!-- m -->.

KOTF is Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
BBT is Powered by phpBB © 2013 phpBB Group

I should add here, the index page comes up almost instantly, when I click on a "post" it takes forever to load, and more often than not results in the "time-out" error

Maybe it's the different releases of phpBB that's causing the problem, because other than that they are both the same "format", and the KOTF is much much quicker. Until recently bigblue was just as fast as KOTF, now, bigblue is running at about the same speed as it did when I was on dial-up - - - - and yes I am using Firefox for both.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Pete, I talked to Packey last night and the first thought that came to his mind is the problems we have been having concerning our Gallery. As he put it, he put in a temporary fix, not a permanent one, and there is no guarantees that it will not return. The only real fix is to delete the Gallery, or replace it with one that is supported. In either case, we would loose everything there, and we are trying to avoid it.

He said that we are due for some routine maintenance which would include flushing our board's cache. He'll spend some time to see if he can pinpoint a cause....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I'm still learning how to use my laptop,so haven't been here on it much. Thought I'd give it a try, using Firefox, and response time is far quicker. I still prefer my desktop computer,but, it may be the actual cause of the slower speed.
Then, I come back to Keeper of the force, and there is a difference there. The desk top is much faster there, than on big blue. In that case I'm using the same computer, on very similar boards, and KOTF is the faster board than bigblue......
I am definitely confused, there's no logical explanation why there should be that big a difference in access speed.
Guess that when time is an issue I should use the lap top, at least for now.