Tichy Kits
I pains me to do this, but I must post a negative report on Tichy Kits.

I recently purchased the Tichy N-scale Rotary Plow kit, which turned out to have a missing part after it was opened. (*Note here that store policies preclude opening and inspecting these kits prior to purchase.) Naturally, in direct obedience to Murphy's Laws, it is an essential part, not one that can be easily replicated using sheet styrene or such.

The Tichy site lists a phone number, e-mail and fax number; after repeated attempts to contact anyone at any of these contact points, I am forced to conclude that I made a mistake buying from them. BTW: Mr. Tichy himself is the voice on his answering machine.
I'll be surprised if you don't get a call back and a replacement part. From my experience with Tichy kits in HO scale I am very satisfied.

I hope you get satisfaction, and a nice rotary plow too.

dave
-Dave
Hi, did you ever get your missing part? I think it was around the time you posted this that he may have been at a train show in Mass. I was speaking with him there, and he seems like a great guy. I've only bought his windows and doors for the most part, although I do have an HO water column kit to build.
I've never had any trouble getting parts from Tichy if they were missing. I wrote telling them the problem and included the part numbers of the missing pieces. I got the parts within a few weeks of sending off the original letter. The Rotary was originally made by Dimi-Trains along with a few other cars and structures. I did have problems getting missing parts from Dimi and gave up building their kits and I also quit carrying their kits in the hobby stores I managed at the time. I've since quit building or modeling in N scale and went back to HO where there is better availability and selection of just about everything.
BTW, I'd find a different hobby store if they wouldn't take the defective kit back in exchange for a good one.......unless you discovered the part was missing AFTER you had started assembly in which case you really have no one to blame except yourself for not checking the kit before you made exchanging kits an unavailable option. I always check all parts against the instructions before starting to build or paint because I know that hobby shops can not get credit for any kits where assembly has been started even though lots of customers think it's no problem for them if the store owner has to "eat" the kit because they think all store owners are rolling in money. A lot of manufacturers will even replace parts you mess up during assembly if you ask....nicely.

Greg Melby
Seattle, WA.

If you want to make a small fortune in the hobby business start with a large one.
I've gotta agree with the statements above.
If you write to the manufacturer and explain what happened, or that there was a missing part(Be nice) they usually will send a replacement.

I had gotten an Athearn F59PHI at a show one year. I stuck it on the "To-Do" shelf where it sat for a couple of years. When I finally went to paint the loco(it was undecorated) , I found that the pilot was missing from the parts bag. I e-mailed the company, explained what had happened, and even told them I was willing to pay for the part and shipping. A couple of days later, a new pilot arrived in the mail, free of charge.

Also, a Rix Products silo I bought, had a part that was short shot(Plastic missing from the part). I took a picture of the errant part, sent it in an e-mail, also told them I was willing to pay for the new part and shipping. Not willing to wait, I assembled the silo and covered the bad part with a Walthers caged ladder. Took a picture of my solution, and sent it to them and said "Thanks, but I fixed the problem my self." They still wanted my address. A week later, a whole new kit came in the mail!

Just be nice, explain the problem, and even offer to pay for the replacement and shipping. I think you'll be surprised.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.