New Cutter, for the Seaport Village
Very nice Pete! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
First, an over all shot of the cutter as she is right now.

Anchor windlass is built and in place, along with the scuppers for the anchor chains.

Here, the steering box, and wheel, and a figure ( 6' - 7" tall )

Time has come to start building all the ironwork, so the rigging process can begin.

Attached Files Image(s)

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Got just a bit more done on the Cutter. A lot of the ironwork is done, added the pin rails,port and starboard. Got the topmast stay rigged, and built, and rigged the Jack stays to the boom band. The falls for the Jack stays have to be attached to the pin rails, and the main sheet rigged to the bale at the aft end of the boom, and the "traveler" on deck aft of the steering box.
I also got most of the trim done on the main cabin and the hatches, rebuilt the ship's wheel, and added the drinking water barrel

The next ironwork will be the chain-plates for the main and topmast shrouds, so they can be rigged.
Part of the delay here, is that I have decided to build a 1:125 scale model of USS Lowry DD-770, using the "Blue Devil Destroyer" hull, which is the right length at 36". I'm in the "research stage" right now. The hull is the only part of "that kit", that I will use.
Everything else will have to be scratch built, because the "kit" was designed more as a toy, than as a scale model. Most of that will be fairly easy to do. There is one detail that is going to be a small nightmare........ a 1:125 scale QH50 Destroyer Anti Submarine Helicopter ( D.A.S.H. ) Lowry was a FRAM II Sumner class DD.

Attached Files Image(s)

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Latest update on progress, here you can see all the shrouds, and the Topmast back stay are rigged. The blocks on the Jack stays, ( from the masthead to the end of the main boom ) are too big, so they will be replaced next

here, a close-up of the chain-plates,deadeyes, shrouds and stay. I also got the port and starboard running lights built and installed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Latest progress: Jack Stay blocks have been replaced, and the falls are belayed to the pin rails.
Main sail is in, furled, and tied down. Throat halliard, and Peak halliard are rigged and belayed.
Staysail boom, Staysail, and Staysail halliard are in and belayed to the pinrail.
I have to rig the main sheet, and the Staysail sheet, next ( these are currently just temporarily tied down )
I also have to install the "hanks" ( rings that hold the luff of the Staysail to the fore stay, and the jib to the topmast forestay )

The last sail I need to make is the Topmast Stay sail, or Jib. This too will be furled, and secured to the bowsprit. once the sail is in place and secure I can rig the jib halliard, and the jib sheets.
After that , there's just little details like the masthead light, anchors, assorted "things" on deck, that would be there when the vessel would be at anchor, or moored pier-side. Maybe one of the "crew", fishing. Big Grin

When this project is done, I'll begin laying down the lines for the ' Tern ' ( three mast Schooner ), that I want to build as a waterline model, plank on frame. That project will get a little more attention here, once the construction begins, than this Cutter has. The "Tern" will be only the second plank-on-frame I've done Cheers
Some more progress on the cutter.
The jib, and jib halliard are in place, and the main sheet is rigged.

Staysail sheets, and jib sheets need to be rigged. Then, I have to decide on the structure of the stern davits for a "yawl-boat",
and install them and build and install the Yawl-boat, or have the yawl-boat "in the water".
The final "hurdle" will be finding a name for this vessel, and getting it decal-led in place.
'bout time for an update........Here, she's moored outboard of the Schooner "Wind Rider"...

Last night, I got the stern davits built and installed, and got the Yawl-boat cleaned up and hung.
the boat needs an engine, and a paint job, and when that's done. . . . . . this project is done.
Here, is a reasonable port side shot:

Yeah, all that masting, and rigging, adds a lot of "clutter"
Here, a slightly lower angle ( my shoes got a little wet here....)

Very nicely done. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
The prototypical rigging is the detail that makes the difference.
Reinhard
Sumpter, looks great with all the fine rigging!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Faraway, Modelsof1900, Your comments are very well received.
The sea, and sailing ships have been a love of mine from my earliest age. One of the very first models I ever built was a sailboat. I served 22 Years in the U.S. Navy, and learned a lot more, about ships and the sea.
It was during that time, that I met Ed, a civilian worker at N.A.S. Brunswick, Me., when I did my first tour of duty there.
Ed was a superb modeler, who I learned much of what I know now, from. He too loved the sea, and sailing ships, and he taught me the art of rigging, as I watched him scratch build a Clipper Ship model, during that first three year tour of duty.
It was in South Bristol, Maine, on my second tour at the Air Station, in Brunswick, where I had the chance to watch Pete Seeger's "Clearwater" being built, at Harvey Gammage's Shipyard, from a few frames on a keel to her launch.
(( signature line 2 applies ))
Ed was also a model railroader, so ...... another learning curve to ride.
Pete
Pete---I'm sure most of Big Blue's family will agree with me that we're very fortunate to have so many talented modellers like yourself (and so many others) who continue to amaze me displaying your works of art---my sincere thanks for sharing your treasures
It looks right at home Pete! Applause Worship Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
cn nutbar Wrote:Pete---I'm sure most of Big Blue's family will agree with me that we're very fortunate to have so many talented modellers like yourself (and so many others) who continue to amaze me displaying your works of art---my sincere thanks for sharing your treasures
We are indeed fortunate to have Pete want to hang around here. He is truly a modeler's modeler and not just limited to trains either.

Well done Pete, and thanks for hanging around and sharing your work... Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Well done Pete, and thanks for hanging around and sharing your work...

Don, You've only been here 11 days longer than I have. Isn't that why we have kept Big Blue going?...... so there is a place for all of us to "hang around" and share our hobby.