search
Can anything be done with the search feature to make it work? I did a search and this comes back
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: scale car.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

Now car may be common, but scale shouldn't be. I get this quite often on searches and wind up giving up on older threads.

Charlie
Let me check into possibly either changing the search criteria or maybe replacing the search engine. If I can't do anything, I'll talk to Packey and see what he can do.

And you're right, I also find it annoying when you can't search for something no matter how common the search engine thinks it is.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Charlie, try it now and see if I made a difference.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
No Don, same message. Nope
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:No Don, same message. Nope
Charlie
OK, I did what I could do with the only options I could change. I'll get in touch with Packey and see what he can do. I have a feeling that the search engine we use is not an add-on, and so our only options may be some settings, if there are any that we can change.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thanks Don. There is a way to search a site using Google and it is simple, though I have forgot how to do it. Maybe that could be placed in the search box so it automatically uses Google to search Blue.
Charlie B Wrote:Thanks Don. There is a way to search a site using Google and it is simple, though I have forgot how to do it. Maybe that could be placed in the search box so it automatically uses Google to search Blue.
You're right, I've seen that on other sites. I've sent a message to Packey to see what he can do. I admit, it is frustrating the way it is.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
To use Google, follow the link below. Then put in your search terms and specify bigbluetrains.com as the domain.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/advanced_search">http://www.google.com/advanced_search</a><!-- m -->

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
You have to use the site command in Google Smile Smile

scale car site:bigbluetrains.com

That will search for scale car

prr site:bigbluetrains.com

That will search for prr
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Okie Dokie, try it now. Packey has made a few changes and it appears that the search engine works great now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That is a big improvement.
Charlie
Yep. You want to search on the word "car," you now get 10,000 hits instead of 0. Eek
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear
When I was a regular on RRL there was a similar problem and we ended up doing a Google search since the desired thread would come up on Google anyhow .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Well, if the search would except a phrase in quotation marks we could find only "scale car" in this case and "scale test car" would be an even better quirey but I don't want to stir the pot Goldth . I am really grateful for the improvement. Car, or scale on any model forum would likely bring up 10,000 hits. Thanks Packey, You done good.
Charlie